+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sony speakers SS-2070 - Tweeter upgrade

Default Sony speakers SS-2070 - Tweeter upgrade

I have recently acquired a pair of Sony SS-2070 3 way speakers and I'm pretty happy with the woofer and midrange, the tweeter is a bit of a let down, can somebody recommend a replacement upgrade tweeter that will make a significant difference? The Capacitors have been upgraded to Solen caps also.
    The only info I na find online about the specs of the speakers is

Type: 3 way, 3 driver loudspeaker system
    Frequency Response: 35Hz to 20kHz
    Power Handling: 50W
    Crossover Frequency: 800, 4000Hz
    Impedance: 8Ω
    Bass: 1 x 250mm cone
    Midrange: 1 x 100mm cone
    Tweeter: 1 x 25mm cone
    Year: 1978
    Dimensions: 310 x 570 x 266mm
    Weight: 11.8kg

Any help or advise will be much appreciated
    thanks
    hally

Hi hally and welcome to the forum.

You could try something from the SEAS range. You just have to get the faceplate dimensions right then adjust the tweeter sensitivity with a resistor if required.

Personally I would leave them as they are. You hear very little from a tweeter unless you're a dog.

Quote Originally Posted by TIU View Post
    Personally I would leave them as they are. You hear very little from a tweeter unless you're a dog.

Try covering up your tweeter with your hand and you'll hear what contribution it's making to the sound. Mind you it can be a bit of a minefield trying to match the tweeter.

I was avin a larf.

But I would leave them with their original tweeter. They will be difficult to sell on if messed around with too much. They were not tuned for the European/UK market so probably sounded ok with all that shouty Far Eastern racket.
    Last edited by TIU; 2nd December 2015 at 13:37.

hello there , well I am prity sure I had the same model speakers for a while , I actually realy enjoyed mine, but partly because I got mine for 15 beer vouchers, I used to run them quiet loud, I eventually bust them after playing a bit of bass guitar through them, , I had at the time honestly a set of atc scm 45 , which were a pain in the bass to drive, I happily often just had a tune or two in the little sonys, in the back room , nice warm bass and cheap but not strident at all treble, the little again cheap as chips mid range speakers, did ok , .

I have since again moved to a old set of sony G4 30 YEAR OLD THINGS, AS FOR tweeter I would get something basic and wire them in , even a peizo , give it a try , . you can get piezos non hifi , but cheap things for about 4 pounds a pop , cheap pa speakers use them all the time,

I am loving messing around with older stuff, not sure it could be called vintage , but perhaps more , tat , or skip fodder ??? certainly a lot of pressed wood cabinets and brown plastic wrap , ,

I recently have brought a set of heybrook 150 little monitor things, and whilst they are well reiewed etc, , I recon they also have a basic set of drivers etc in them , and the cab is very basic cheap wood, chip of some sort and a cheap plastic wrap , I had em for sale but no one was interested, at 40 pounds, ,

but I do wonder if in some places , the cheaper end stuff if speaker componants or design has moved on much at all , bit perhaps the boxes have got slimmer and the coverings have changed colour , to fit the modern house,

I enede up using my sont boxes for a very nice almost new set of tannoy Saturn 6 inch dual concentrics, and sold the things on to a mate, who still has them and loves them , I needed to get my money back , so he paid me what I payed, and he got a fantastic sounding set of speakers for 100 pounds, to this day if I go round to his, I recon I missed a trick selling them on , but I had about 3 grands worth second hand value of speakers and other stuff in the house, I couldn't move, .

regards

jb

Quote Originally Posted by jazzbass View Post
    AS FOR tweeter I would get something basic and wire them in , even a peizo , give it a try , . you can get piezos non hifi , but cheap things for about 4 pounds a pop , cheap pa speakers use them all the time
    Why would those be any better than the ones Sony fitted?

+ Reply to Thread