+ Reply to Thread

Thread: John Linsley Hood Quad FM Aerial

Default John Linsley Hood Quad FM Aerial

After Mark the Ming (Mark Manwaring-White) improved my Leak/Paravicini Troughline stereo tuner
    I thought about the aerial.

I should explain my situation; I live in a top floor flat on a hill in North West London, there is no possibility of an external aerial the communal one is OK but not for a Troughline which needs more signal,until now I have used a 5 element Antiference aerial in the loft. We have bought the loft and are going to add a couple of bedrooms etc, so it had to go.

I remembered an article By John Linsley Hood about a "Quad" aerial similar to those used by radio hams(apparently) I made the aerial from 4x 1' X 3' 1 MMM mild steel sheet with 1' cut off one of the panels as per the article shown at the end of his piece.

I was charged 15 for the metal & 19 for cutting to size.

The JL hood aerial at 1 mm thick will fix flat to the woodwork of the roof under future insulation and wall board

I put it together using heavy duty pop rivets with small PK screws for a 1/4" perspex panel to stiffen the 1" gap (see drawing in the article) I used 2 brass solder-less nipples soldered to either side of the gap to hold the WF 100 co-ax.

I have placed the aerial in the loft propped up for now it has not been optimised and already is an improvement by a margin for the carefully optimised 5 element aerial.

No hiss from the Troughline

http://www.mediafire.com/view/?sz8qxtc414666xu
    Last edited by Big John; 2nd December 2015 at 15:14. Reason: accuracy

Source first and all that, most people forget that the radio is only as good as the signal, that seems like a nice neat solution.

I had a big 4 element roof aerial when i was at my previous house. Great Signal. Now live in a downstairs flat with terrible reception on both DAB and FM so i no longer use the radio in the house.

I have a powered indoor aerial that looks like a sex toy. It would serve a better purpose as a sex toy.

that looks fantastic I am going to build a carboard and foil version very soon , I like a bit of radio , I get full reception on a coupld of bits of wire, but I suspect this will be a better thing, I am perplexed about which direction to point things, etc, if any one can give me advice or a site to look at , I live at Dunfermline sort of over looking the forth bridge, or more accurately, the forth, non crossing at the moment, I am on the top side of a hill , but I really like the idea of a pound or two for a indoor ariel , I have a rather nice mission cyrus original fm radio I haven't used for a shile due to no being able to hook it up with a ariel ,

regards

jb ,

Quote Originally Posted by Big John View Post
    After Mark the Ming (Mark Manwaring-White) improved my Leak/Paravicini Troughline stereo tuner
    I thought about the aerial.

I should explain my situation; I live in a top floor flat on a hill in North West London, there is no possibility of an external aerial the communal one is OK but not for a Troughline which needs more signal,until now I have used a 5 element Antiference aerial in the loft. We have bought the loft and are going to add a couple of bedrooms etc, so it had to go.

I remembered an article By John Linsley Hood about a "Quad" aerial similar to those used by radio hams(apparently) I made the aerial from 4x 1' X 3' 1 MMM mild steel sheet with 1' cut off one of the panels as per the article shown at the end of his piece.

I was charged 15 for the metal & 19 for cutting to size.

The JL hood aerial at 1 mm thick will fix flat to the woodwork of the roof under future insulation and wall board

I put it together using heavy duty pop rivets with small PK screws for a 1/4" perspex panel to stiffen the 1" gap (see drawing in the article) I used 2 brass solder-less nipples soldered to either side of the gap to hold the WF 100 co-ax.

I have placed the aerial in the loft propped up for now it has not been optimised and already is an improvement by a margin for the carefully optimised 5 element aerial.

No hiss from the Troughline

http://www.mediafire.com/view/?sz8qxtc414666xu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzbass View Post
    that looks fantastic I am going to build a carboard and foil version very soon , I like a bit of radio , I get full reception on a coupld of bits of wire, but I suspect this will be a better thing, I am perplexed about which direction to point things, etc, if any one can give me advice or a site to look at , I live at Dunfermline sort of over looking the forth bridge, or more accurately, the forth, non crossing at the moment, I am on the top side of a hill , but I really like the idea of a pound or two for a indoor ariel , I have a rather nice mission cyrus original fm radio I haven't used for a shile due to no being able to hook it up with a ariel ,

regards

jb ,
    If the radio/tuner has a signal strength meter, get help from another whilst they move the aerial watch the signal strength to get the most signal. in my case I use "walkie talkies" to speak to my son in the loft, you could use a mobile or shout.

That reminds me of early tv when my dad would go up into the loft to adjust the aerial. It was always best reception when he was holding it.

Quote Originally Posted by TIU View Post
    That reminds me of early tv when my dad would go up into the loft to adjust the aerial. It was always best reception when he was holding it.
    Is he still there holding the aerial?

Quote Originally Posted by eddie spaghetti View Post
    Is he still there holding the aerial?
    Should have said the aid should step away from the aerial as the human body acts as a booster

+ Reply to Thread