+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Knackered Remote

Default Knackered Remote

I have managed to break my pre amp's remote control. Don't ask, I shan't tell.

The source buttons seem to work but the volume/balance controls are dead.

Has anyone managed to repair a remote before? I don't mind having a tinker before dropping bucks on a new one.

Euan
    20 years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please God, don't take Kevin Bacon

How bizarre.

Just took it to bits for a look at the circuit board. Put it all back together again and it is working. Hmmm.
    20 years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please God, don't take Kevin Bacon

Dry joint? Loose battery/connection (sorted with re assembly)?

Hopefully. There's not much too it really. Few resistors and a cap and a couple of other components.

Quote Originally Posted by ESK View Post
    Hopefully. There's not much too it really. Few resistors and a cap and a couple of other components.
    Even if unrepairable CJ may supply the internals to fit in your case, alternatively go out and buy a cheap learning remote a while yours is still working program the new remote and save in a drawer in case the inevitable happens

I've written to CJ about repair/replacement. Still waiting to hear back.

Care to guess what a replacement will cost? I'll go first, $150.

No doubt you'll be referred to UK distributor who will only be able to supply a whole new unit at around 400, is my guess.

Quote Originally Posted by The Professor View Post
    No doubt you'll be referred to UK distributor who will only be able to supply a whole new unit at around 400, is my guess.
    OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (I thought this was a CJ, not an MF....).
    Last edited by WullieD20; 19th January 2016 at 20:39.
    You can only be young once, but you can be immature for ever.....

You scared it Euan, like I did with my Yamaha speaker.

CJ have pointed me in the direction of the UK distributor.

They did say if I preferred, they would sell me one direct - sadly they neglected to tell me the price - which presumably means the UKD could make the price up himself.

I would rather get off my backside and do it myself than speak to that class act again. No thank you very much.

Say you prefer and get a price, tell them why you don't want to deal with BV, your own experience is backed up by much anecdotal evidence online, they must be aware hence ther offer to sell direct. Whatever price they give you will not include any import costs which you MAY be liable for.

Ps are they not willing to provide you with the guts of the remote as a spare part, be a shame as there is probably nothing wrong with the remote carcass

At the moment it is working so I shall hang on. If it goes for good I shall ask them for a deal direct price.

The body of the remote is solid cast metal so other than looking old/tatty there is nowt wrong with it.

Inside there are only a few components. I may even replace a few of them as a little project if it breaks. The gubbins are unlikely to be worth more than a few quid at maplins.

Will it work better if I use black gate caps and Audio Note resistors!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ESK View Post
    At the moment it is working so I shall hang on. If it goes for good I shall ask them for a deal direct price.

The body of the remote is solid cast metal so other than looking old/tatty there is nowt wrong with it.

Inside there are only a few components. I may even replace a few of them as a little project if it breaks. The gubbins are unlikely to be worth more than a few quid at maplins.

Will it work better if I use black gate caps and Audio Note resistors!!!
    thats why i said you only needed the innards, FWIW you should buy a learning remote this week, and use your currently working remote to program the bugger, then if yours breaks you have a spare whilst you rectify the problem.

if it's the innards that have gone, it's unlikely to be the off the shelf parts, mostly when remotes fail it's with the microswitches, you may have a dry joint, or a crack somewhere on the board, this will make the fault intermittent and hard to find/repair, have you asked CJ if they will sell you the circuit board only? even offering to return the faulty unit in exchange, (manuf's don't like giving out parts unless to a dealer/disti in case they are used for counterfeit/copies etc) but a remote is pretty standard tech so they may offer this route, can't help to ask.

You could always.. [gulp] get up out of your comfy chair.

Quote Originally Posted by TIU View Post
    You could always.. [gulp] get up out of your comfy chair.
    Wash your mouth out!!!

It may use standard Philips RS5 codes. If that's the case then many other remotes should work although you may not get all the functions.

If you're handy with a soldering iron you may be able to repair it yourself. Use a magnifying glass to check the circuit board for cracks and dry joints.

+ Reply to Thread