+ Reply to Thread

Thread: My Report on the Plattamat Effect

Default My Report on the Plattamat Effect

Sorry to be repeating myself, but I posted a review of my Plattamat listening sessions over in the Vinyl section of the forum -- but there aren't many views over there.

I thought I'd copy it here, where I know fans of AI are likely to see it. This is probably where it belonged in the first place.

So my observations come from from tirelessly switching mats back and forth, and listening to the same song over and over. This revealed some very clear, audible differences that were unmistakable and undeniable.

Here's my review:

I thought I'd offer some observations following a series of very deliberate comparative listening sessions with the Plattamat(s).

I'd been using the original Plattamat for several years, but never made a systematic comparison to the original Linn felt mat. But after I recently took the chance to "upgrade" to the newer Plattamat 2, I thought I'd make something of a systematic comparison.

I dug out the original old felt mat that came with my LP12 in 1993, and it still appears to be in good condition, and off to town I went. I've listened to several types of music, but my comments are mostly based on careful and frequent listens to Ricky Lee Jones' tune Easy Money.

I've had several sessions with Easy Money, now, going back and forth between felt and Plattamat, felt and Plattamat. 5 times each, the first sitting, 3 times each the next, then 3 times each, again to confirm my impressions, after listening to other things.

Comparing the Plattamat 2 to the felt mat, I noted that the different instruments are better differentiated and distinct from one another. The upright bass was tighter, the guitar "emerged" from the other sounds much more. It's really not a subtle effect.

Interesting things were also happening over on stage right, where there is much tinkly metal percussion happening. Amongst the drummer's high hat, the glockenspiel, the bells or tambourine or whatever it is . . . I heard, for the first time, someone playing the spoons. Unmistakable!

Back to the felt mat, now deliberately listening for it . . . ok, it's there, sometimes, not all the time, but it's definitely "mistakable" now -- it might just be the high hat.

Back to the Plattamat2, and, yep, there it is. I won't venture to say if they're teaspoons or table spoons, but I'm sure it's spoons. You can hear it through out the song.

Now, adding the Plattamat 1 back to the mix, I have to say that the Plattamat 1 improves on the the felt mat in exactly the same way as the Plattamat 2 -- but, here's the shocker -- by only half as much. The P2 was definitely twice as good, maybe a bit more than that.

I have to say I'm just delighted with the Plattamat 2, and it's staying on my record player . . . at least until there's a version 3.

Now I think here's the point where I want to say I have no connection to the Analogue Innovations company, no interest in their business except for being a customer -- now repeat customer, and as a happy customer, I've often enjoyed and participated in the chat over on their commercial sub forum of this bulletin board.

For what it's worth, these are my humble observations. Of course, "ymmv", but I'd be surprised if it varied a lot.

Cheers to the group.

Brenton

Good to hear John's products are doing the business. Certainly some great value for money improvements compared to Linn prices.

I have to agree--it's ridiculously good value for what the Plattamats cost. But I also have his Sole inside my deck for a few years now, and there again, it was great value for the tangible improvements.

Hey Tubey.

That's a nice resume of the Plattamat 2 effect on your LP12. Glad you like it m8. I'm havin' some seriously good performance with a few other tweaks I'm currently trying out...

How about a Sondek that performs better than a 3 motor Voyd, a DD and an idler? OK it's not a Sondek per se' but it still looks like one if you get my drift. You want tuneful bass - you got it, you want drum strikes to boot you out your seat - you got it, you want detail- you got it, You'll know if those spoons are stainless steel or solid silver! Oh and that ole Linn mantra - musicality? Oh yes indeedy!

More detail will follow when I'm ready to spill the beans, a few month off yet. Mods include fundamental changes to the workings of the TT but it'll retain its looks. Oh and of course all will be affordable

Kind regards.

John R
    Last edited by John R; 6th February 2016 at 23:45.

Hi John,

Glad you liked my summary of observations. I don t know if your still selling the Plattamat 1, so I wasn't sure if you'd be happy to hear the P2 was twice as good, or disappointed the P1 only half as good as the P2. But clearly both are worth getting. Noticeably better than the felt mat on my deck, at least.

Now I'm intrigued by the mention of these other projects you're working on. If your Sole kits are any indication of what you're up to, then I'll be very imterested to follow the developments. I don't know where you get your ideas from--it's a bit like magic to a social science type like me. But you sure found your way with the Sole and also those plattamats to brimg extra music out of my beloved old LP12!

Any more hi ts you can spare, or was that the hint quota for the day?

Following up a bit here, John, I've been reading about the Voyd and other things. It looks like you're hinting at bringing in some of the virtues of other very good decks to help, without hurting the great things the LP12 already does well.

I'm very intrigued now. Maybe you should have a subsidiary of Analogue Innovations, and call it Analogue Intrigues! Analogue Intrigues can torture us with all the projects under experimentation, whilst Analogue Innovations can tell us when they're ready for "prime time."

Ha ha Tubey.

Maybe I was a little overly exited when I posted last night and stretching it a tad to say it is better than my three motor Voyd on dynamics an sound staging, but to be entirely honest it's not far away.

It's certainly far better than a Cirkus'd LP12 with Lingo and Ekos 1 Categorising "better"? Bigger, bolder sound: wider soundstage ( something a standard LP12 struggles with), incisive detail (that old cliche' hearing things I've not heard before on familiar numbers) It's far from demure, sort of demanding listen to me!! Of course some folk won't like this presentation but it's an exiting listen and not fatiguing 5 hours last night went to bed at 02:30.

It's much better than my Power supply modified Technics SL150 mk 1 Much better than my Pioneer PL71.

And better again than my heavilly modified Lenco 75. OK I have only used my heavily modified Rega RB300 with our counterweight mod but it was fitted with an AT33PTG playing via a 47Labs Phonoclone 3

Of course the arm used in these trials and its synergy with the TT plays a huge part in the result. And the arm was….

Of course J7's magnificent PU7!! Cartridge used was a humble AT110E.

The Voyd was by far and away the best TT in my collection, it has a huge soundstage and dynamics to rock your foundations, plus it also does subtleties, imaging and detailing like nothing else I've heard yet. The contest was to try and maintain the LP12 virtues whilst trying to have it provide a bigger "sound". I think the combination of mods I've undertaken have provided a sound almost as big as the Voyd.. That is something to write about.

The Voyd was fitted with the same PU7 that's on my development LP12 now and with the same AT110E.

LP12 configured thus..

Our SS top plate with motor at 07:30. The motor is ancient too and incidentally is coupled in a different fashion to standard LP12.

Power supply is a Norton Airpower with custom toroidal transformer - it's all very easy to make using the same Toroid as I commissioned. Leigh Norton actively encourages folk to make one for themselves and he will even help you via email. Great guy.

OK moving on with the spec..

Sole VII sub-chassis, pre Cirkus (Ai repaired bearing) and a new means of mounding the suspension and this was the game changer. Of course when the detail will be released this will be frowned upon by many Linnies as were the Sole and Plattamat's themselves.

John R
    Last edited by John R; 8th February 2016 at 20:39.

Sounds exiting stuff John but you know it won`t " play the tune" so can`t be any good.At least thats what you`ll get from the Linnies.
    Regarding Platter mat 2 i swapped between the felt mat and Platter mat 2 several times for weeks at a time and came to the easy conclusion that the felt mat just doesn`t sound as good .

All you get from Linn is the "tune".If thats right everything is right. What nonsense. I can follow the basic tune on a cheapo mp3 player but it has no depth,imaging or any sense of air around the performers.
    Yet the Linnies swallow it whole and pay for the privilege.

Keep up the good work John watching with interest.
    Steve1ooo
    LINN LP12/CIRCUS/Sole MK VI /LINGO/ A/O PU7/Audio Ortofon Cadaenza Bronze
    Trichord Diablo+NCPS, Icon Audio stereo 40 MK 111 , Acoustic Energy radiance two.

I wish there was a rival clan to the Linnies so they could have a tt-off at dawn.

It's a funny thing, these Linnie types you're referring to . . . I mean, do they only buy Linn electronics and speakers too? It's one thing if they really like the sound of an Ekos over something else, like the PU7. . . . but I'm sure there wasn't a lot of research and thought put into the felt mat. Why so rigid about the Plattamat?! Maybe my system's not good enough yet to hear it, but the P-mat only adds, to my ears, and it takes nothing away. There was nothing less musical about the P-mat.

Maybe if I hadn't already tainted my LP12 with the Sole and the PU7! It just seems silly to pursue more detail by going from a Ittok to an Ekos, but then compromise it by insisting on staying with the felt mat. But to each his own, I suppose.

I'm just glad there are Linn lovers who aren't so narrow that they won't try other products. I might still be using the Ittok, Nirvana and Adikt if I hadn't come to learn of the great value and performance to be had from Ai and Ao products.
    Last edited by Tube Nube; 8th February 2016 at 05:23. Reason: Typo

Quote Originally Posted by Tube Nube View Post
    I might still be using the Ittok, Nirvana and Adikt if I hadn't come to learn of the great value and performance to be had from Ai and Ao products.
    No you would have upgraded those with Linn products and spent a small (large) fortune.

Ugh! You're right. I would have gone in for a "previously enjoyed" Ekos and one of their MC cartridges. But their new subchassis are so expensive, and I doubt many are available used. I'm sure I've saved myself a bundle.

Quote Originally Posted by TIU View Post
    I wish there was a rival clan to the Linnies so they could have a tt-off at dawn.
    Thought John was working on that one.
    Steve1ooo
    LINN LP12/CIRCUS/Sole MK VI /LINGO/ A/O PU7/Audio Ortofon Cadaenza Bronze
    Trichord Diablo+NCPS, Icon Audio stereo 40 MK 111 , Acoustic Energy radiance two.

Ha ha! Indeed Steve, there's quite a load of Ai Sole/Plattamat converts out in audio land now and it appears more and more are quite vociferous in standing up the the rather blinkered view of the party faithful.

I've never been one for believing in "tune dem" myself. It's nothing but a load of marketing tosh that some will be hoodwinked by because they are incapable of telling a dealer "you're wrong mate, it is me who's right on this - I have my own ears and mind" bye !

Regarding the tt-off Gary, I've openly offered them one, but none have accepted my challenge to date - I wonder why?

I know a chap who believes in black ravioli and gold fuses. He's spent a fortune on the stuff and even after hearing a high end system he still wasn't convinced. He's got an lp12 BTW. Some people don't want to believe that there is more to hifi than Linn.

I've been thinking a bit about this cult of non-purist Linn enthusiasts, and what it needs is a catchy name. If "Linnies" is an allusion to "ninnies" who foolishly just follow, not thinking for them selves, maybe a handle like "Linnophile" captures the contrasting spirit of those who like the deck, but want the best they can get out of it, without signing on to an exclusive marriage to the company.

Linnophile? Linnophiliac? Sounds a bit like an affliction.

Could be people with a lino fetish.

A lino fetish... Flexible, yet it pinches everywhere it shouldnt.

Quote Originally Posted by Tube Nube View Post
    maybe a handle like "Linnophile" captures the contrasting spirit of those who like the deck, but want the best they can get out of it, without signing on to an exclusive marriage to the company.
    why not just be a music lover with a hifi?

+ Reply to Thread