+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Dynavector XV-1S

Default Dynavector XV-1S

Anyone heard one of these?

How would you describe its/the Dyna house sound.

Euan
    20 years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please God, don't take Kevin Bacon

It's my experience that there isn't a 'house sound' as such... The 10XV is quite pleasant, but I'm damned if it really offers much over a DL110 at less than half the price (they used to cost the same in their earliest incarnations). The 17d was a favourite of mine, with totally neutral sound (many LP's should sound bass light as that was the way they were cut, but many audio enthusiasts don't like it - the AT OC9 series is similar), but the DV20 models to me sound turgid and fat-toned, although better than one or two of the Kontrpunkts I remember, which were so 'analogue' it was like the stylus ploughing through golden syrup - ugh!

I really liked the XX1 series (next level up) as they took the 17D series and added more power without making it artificially 'beefy.' I'm afraid I don't know the top models, but good luck with the exposed cantilever, as they're all too easily broken. Almost every BPS we sold (similar exposed workings) came back soon after purchase with a broken stylus and we almost had to order two each time
    Turntable bodger, NVA builder and NVA's loan scheme administrator

I've certainly experience of separating a BPS from its cantilever before!
    20 years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please God, don't take Kevin Bacon

Great Cart, Gordon has the T version on a deck similar to yours, the S was really nice when I heard it, thought you only recently got your Shelter retipped. Mark from the Missing link had a Shelter 9000 new or nearly new for 1250, but dunno if he still has it.

Nothing wrong wth the Shelter but someone is selling a low hours S and my curiosity was piqued!

Dyna XV 1t. . . . Best cartridge I have ever owned, but then cart's at this price level SHOULD fall into that category, regardless of the personal taste regarding individual characteristics.

I thoroughly enjoyed my Transfig's, both the Orpheus and the Proteus, as well as a couple of decent Lyras, but whether one believes there's an improvement being achieved (by changing the cartridge)
    or just a change in direction to create a preferable sound is all part of the subjective issue regarding anyone's system. I've owned Dynavectors in the past too, but I can't say that I would relate to a Dyna 'in-house' sound, although others may disagree.

A far as the exposed cantilever goes, it makes alignment on a record far easier than the hidden one of the Transfig's and I don't see it being subject to damage if one exerts the necessary amount of care that should be applied to a cartridge that costs thousands of pounds!! Accidents happen I know, but that's what insurance is for and I haven't broken a cantilever for many years now - he says, tempting fate!!!

G
    You can only be young once, but you can be immature for ever.....

Quote Originally Posted by WullieD20 View Post
    Dyna XV 1t. . . . Best cartridge I have ever owned, but then cart's at this price level SHOULD fall into that category, regardless of the personal taste regarding individual characteristics.

I thoroughly enjoyed my Transfig's, both the Orpheus and the Proteus, as well as a couple of decent Lyras, but whether one believes there's an improvement being achieved (by changing the cartridge)
    or just a change in direction to create a preferable sound is all part of the subjective issue regarding anyone's system. I've owned Dynavectors in the past too, but I can't say that I would relate to a Dyna 'in-house' sound, although others may disagree.

A far as the exposed cantilever goes, it makes alignment on a record far easier than the hidden one of the Transfig's and I don't see it being subject to damage if one exerts the necessary amount of care that should be applied to a cartridge that costs thousands of pounds!! Accidents happen I know, but that's what insurance is for and I haven't broken a cantilever for many years now - he says, tempting fate!!!

G
    post birthday fugue, yes the T is wonderful, but Euans question is about the S didn't you try the S before buying the T?

Okay, (hic!) thought my comments would be understood to relate to the 'S' after your comment above, which is ultimately the same cartridge with a fraction less oomph! Reviews of these carts are very similar and describe the slight differences in the detail produced.

Like you I tried the 'S', which IMHO was a better sounding cartridge than the Proteus in my system. I went for the 'T' only because it was reputed to have even better resolution and detail than the 'S' (and I could afford it at the time!).

Although I don't believe in a Dynavector 'in-house' sound (as opposed to other makes), I do believe that that the 'S' and the 'T' are so closely matched in their characteristics that they would be difficult to separate until a full range of music is played and the difference in the level of detail is heard and qualified.

G.

I have the xx2-Mk2. It is now sounding very sweet and IMO better than the Transfig Phoenix it replaced at half the price.
    Last edited by eddie spaghetti; 29th February 2016 at 18:51.

Quote Originally Posted by WullieD20 View Post
    Dyna XV 1t. . Accidents happen I know, but that's what insurance is for and I haven't broken a cantilever for many years now - he says, tempting fate!!!
    Okay, which of you 'bar-stewards' put the kiss of death on to my fateful statement??

I've NOW only damaged two cartridges in about forty eight years dabbling in hi fi!!!!

You know what they say..... "You couldn't make this stuff up", but only a matter of a few weeks after writing the statement above I managed to side-swipe the PU7 while I was tidying cables at the back of the TT...... It obviously wasn't secured and although the cueing device was raised the arm shot across the platter and then fell of the end whilst still managing warp factor 3!!!

"FFS, THAT wasn't good!". . . and sure enough although I can still claim to not having broken a cantilever, this particular action succeeded in removing the beautiful wee diamond clean off the end....

FFS . . . "That cost bloody thousands!!!!" Oh well shit happens.

Wheres the tip gone.JPG

Thanks to The Prof, j7 and John Burns at Pear Audio my beloved XV1 has been despatched back to Japan for a complete rebuild and thanks to my wonderful insurance company, it's not going to cost me anything apart from my excess.

Note to self: "Be a LOT more careful in future". . . .

Sorry to read that G, at least you can look forward to receiving a new diamond and as new cart. Because of what you did by accident, I have got into the habit of putting the stylus guard on when I'm not using the tt.

Cheers Gary,

Yup. I usually lock the arm when it's not in use, but I'd been using the TT and was 'fiddling' around at the back. All my own fault, but a valuable lesson learned.

I often find myself dusting the arm and around the arm with a small brush while it's playing and have to stop myself before something silly happens. Plus the rack is between two full length windows so when Alison draws or opens the curtains, the arm/cart is safe against knocks.

I usually (when i remember) put the stylus guard on when the TT is not in use. At least you've got good insurance.

Did the very same thing with my Shelter 9000. Twice...

Quote Originally Posted by ESK View Post
    Did the very same thing with my Shelter 9000. Twice...
    "Twice"?? OUCH.

Once can be classed as accidental, but twice is just downright. . . . . . . embarrassing!!

In my defense, Jenny was at fault the first time and I the second.

"Embarrassed" was not the emotion I felt...

Quote Originally Posted by ESK View Post
    "Embarrassed" was not the emotion I felt...
    LOL..... I'll bet.

The only other cartridge I remember damaging was while I was setting up an LP12 and a huge sneeze manifested itself from nowhere causing a huge totally uncontrollable spasm of the whole body.
    Fecked if I know what happened to the cantilever!

Funny thing was it wasn't even my cart'. It belonged to j7, so I had to go and buy him a new one.

G

Only Kenny (cartridgemangler) can beat that record.

Just joined the XV-1S club. I get it installed next week.

+ Reply to Thread