+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Dynavector XV-1S

Quote Originally Posted by SquireC View Post
    Just joined the XV-1S club. I get it installed next week.
    Welcome to 'groove grinder' heaven....

Enjoy (after a few hours of run-in!).

G.
    You can only be young once, but you can be immature for ever.....

Thanks Wullie. Looking forward to it. Compared it to other cartridges and it has the Wow factor. And that was in an Ekos, and with Naim amps. So it should sound even better in my Pu7 and with my Audionet pre and valve power amp.

A PU7 through valve amplification.

You, sir, are a gentleman scholar of audiophilia! May the affliction run long and run deep!

Had the valve amp for 17 years now, and changed the valves over the years. Latest purchase of nos Tesla EL34's replacing Winged C's has improved the sound beyond expectations.

One of the great joys of valves is engaging with the gear in this way--"tube rolling" for better or just different sound. I get the impression that valve gear is less popular in Europe than North America. Though that said, I've never met anyone off line who shares my choice for vacuum tubes.

I think it's the cost of valve amps, and a fear that the valves don't last long and are expensive to replace, and perhaps the size and weight, that puts people off. And to be fair, there are a good number of SS amps that sound very good. Where tube rolling works is where the manufacturer, like mine, builds the amps with the best valves he can get in quantity and of quality. However, there is no way he could build them with nos tubes, so it is possible to improve the sound by rolling.
    Of course, with a SS amp, the sound can only be changed with different interconnects, changes to sources, often costing very much more than a set of nos valves.
    I had good SS amps for 30 years, but couldn't get to musical heaven. Then discovered the amp I bought and have never wanted to go back.

I think that depends on the amplifier.

For years I used valve amplification including some fairly exotic 845 monos. I took a punt on a Conrad Johnson 350. I don't miss the valve amps one jot.

Euan

I had good SS amps for 30 years, but couldn't get to musical heaven. Then discovered the amp I bought and have never wanted to go back.
    20 years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please God, don't take Kevin Bacon

the only valve amp I have heard in my system that I really liked were a pair of ear 509's,with most others I haven't particularly liked the way they do bass,(mind you they were originally designed for studio use so hence were designed to be accurate and not just to sound "nice"!)it's a pity Yamaha stopped making their vfet amps:-B-1 and B-2,they had best qualities of valve and SS in abundance
    Last edited by steve195527; 23rd November 2016 at 11:43.

Quote Originally Posted by ESK View Post

I took a punt on a Conrad Johnson 350.
    That's quite interesting, considering that despite the 350 having a great reputation, Conrad Johnson's partcular forte is generally valve amps.

G

For years I used valve amplification including some fairly exotic 845 monos. I took a punt on a Conrad Johnson 350. I don't miss the valve amps one jot.

Euan
    It definitely depends on which amplifier. I have heard valve amps considered to be better, and certainly more expensive, than mine, and being unimpressed. The Ear 509's always sounded a bit warm and loose to me, although their mid range is very nice. It's what works for you, in your system, and what sound you are after. I find mixing SS and valves can achieve the best of both worlds, but there's an element of luck involved. You can't audition every combination available.

It definitely depends on which amplifier. I have heard valve amps considered to be better, and certainly more expensive, than mine, and being unimpressed. The Ear 509's always sounded a bit warm and loose to me, although their mid range is very nice. It's what works for you, in your system, and what sound you are after. I find mixing SS and valves can achieve the best of both worlds, but there's an element of luck involved. You can't audition every combination available.
    509's warm and loose??? they are the only valve amps that have sounded tight and punchy to me, completely lacking the usual floppy bass of most valve amps(they were the mk2's you heard?)

I don't remember whether they were mk2's or not. And I can't remember what the rest of the system was. I know I was disappointed when I heard them because their 'reputation' suggested they would sound better. They obviously sounded right to you, and they worked in that system. I am not criticising them at all. It's just what you personally hear, and what you like.

Quote Originally Posted by WullieD20 View Post
    That's quite interesting, considering that despite the 350 having a great reputation, Conrad Johnson's partcular forte is generally valve amps.

G
    I use one of their valve pre's with it.

Euan
    20 years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please God, don't take Kevin Bacon

I use one of their valve pre's with it.
    I always liked CJ stuff when I heard it and had aspirations for a 350 after reading a very positive review and eventually hearing one at a London show some time ago. It has never materialised to date unfortunately.

Not surprised you are happy with your combi Euan.

G.

Maybe i join the club with an XV 1 s
    But what do i get ? Against ex an Ortofon MC A 95 ??
    Have a friend that is a distributor in Sweden so i suppose i get a nice price on both.

/L
    Tangerine Audio Stiletto, Plateau, Skorpion, SME V ( D ), Dynavector DRT XV 1S, Chord Signature Tuned Aray, Linn Cirkus, Linn Radikal Klimax.
    https://www.linnarts.se

Quote Originally Posted by SME V View Post
    Maybe i join the club with an XV 1 s. But what do i get ? Against ex an Ortofon MC A 95 ??
    I suspect you need a constructive reply from someone who has experience with both. . . and this is likely to be your dealer friend.

On top of any forthcoming advice from the right person, it may come down to a personal desire to own one or the other by appreciating the difference that may occur when fitted in your own system. Synergy will be the key here and one may come immediately to the fore when compared back to back. I can't speak for Ortofon, but I don't believe that Dynavector cartridges have any degree of 'signature', but that's a bit like someone from Scotland not believing he has an accent!!!!!!

The only way to end up with the right one for you is to persuade your dealer to lend you both for a week (each) and making up your own mind.

Then you pays your money and enjoy the results.

PS. The one thing you can absolutely bet on is that they are both as vulnerable as each other with that long exposed cantilever. . .

Maybe i get that
    Thankyou , but i Think itīs was more likely that anyone here has a longer experiance of both than one week.

/L
    Tangerine Audio Stiletto, Plateau, Skorpion, SME V ( D ), Dynavector DRT XV 1S, Chord Signature Tuned Aray, Linn Cirkus, Linn Radikal Klimax.
    https://www.linnarts.se

The A95 was one of the cartridges I compared to the xv-1s, and I've had a few Ortofon over the years. Changing the resistance in the phono stage dramatically changes the sound of both cartridges so you need to experiment. For me, the xv-1s had better soundstage, great detail and more wow, so that it was like listening to a performance rather than listening to a reproduction of a performance, if you understand what I mean. The A95 did nothing wrong, but it was the XV_1s for me.

For me, the xv-1s had better soundstage, great detail and more wow, so that it was like listening to a performance rather than listening to a reproduction of a performance
    My description exactly.

And it's amazing how many (supposed!) music / hi-fi geeks out there just don't get that....
    (How much kit out there is just too "hi-fi"?) Oops, erring into other forum territory....

G.

+ Reply to Thread