+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Neutrik subwoofer cable 1.5 m or longer

Default Neutrik subwoofer cable 1.5 m or longer

Looking for a used Neutrik cable with bare ends or spades, 1.5 m or longer. It's for a hi-level connection to a sub.

Quote Originally Posted by TIU View Post
    Looking for a used Neutrik cable with bare ends or spades, 1.5 m or longer. It's for a hi-level connection to a sub.
    Knock one up yourself Gary.

Just requires one of these and some three core cable.

Only a few quid for the lot, as opposed to a minimum of 30. . ish to buy an OEM version.

If you're not confident, PM me. I'll sort it.
    You can only be young once, but you can be immature for ever.....

I have a cable now, arrived today, unlike my sub. So do I sit and stare at the plug and wires?

I have a cable now, arrived today, unlike my sub. So do I sit and stare at the plug and wires?
    Yeah, of course you do. . . . while you listen to the remainder of the system, get your ears tuned to how it sounds and then get your socks blown off when the sub eventually arrives and you get it commissioned..... hee hee hee...

And I get an ASBO for upsetting the neighbours.

initially try and site the sub in a corner behind the speakers, as far out of the corner as domestic harmony allows, have it firing diagonally across to the opposite corner, and it's best of this diagonal is the longest one in the room. have sub kicking in just above your speakers lowest -3dB point to start with (depending on adjustability of course). Turn on the system at your normal avg listening level, and bring up volume of sub until it's obvious, then turn it down until you can't hear it at all, bring it slowly up until you can just about make it out, then back off volume a little. you aim is to get to a point where you can't 'hear' when the sub is switched in, but it's obvious when you turn it off, if you get what I mean. Leave the initial setup for a couple of days and then tweak any parameters and positioning as needed.

Then enjoy!

And I get an ASBO for upsetting the neighbours.
    Another way to upset your neighbours would be to set fire to their dustbins!!!!!!. . . .

And. . ^^^^ Wot Paul said.

I have to wait a while yet. The sub was dropped off on wednesday and collected by the couriers only today. I was hoping for a play this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by The Professor View Post
    initially try and site the sub in a corner behind the speakers, as far out of the corner as domestic harmony allows, have it firing diagonally across to the opposite corner, and it's best of this diagonal is the longest one in the room.
    It has a downward firing speaker Paul so I presume that is non-directional. It will be sited away from a corner, in-between the TV stand in the corner and the left hand speaker stand.

Sub arrived today and the surprise is it's a Gemini II, which has a larger 10" woofer and bigger cab. I was expecting a Gemini I with an 8" woofer, which would have been ok but this is a real bonus. I'm sure the seller said it had an 8 inch woofer but I didn't keep the messages from him. Just have to connect it up now if I can squeeze the wires into the A60's speaker DIN plugs.

The Concept 20 speakers have a quoted frequency response of 64 Hz to 22 kHz. The crossover frequency is 2.9 kHz so what value do I set the sub at initially?
    Last edited by TIU; 7th March 2016 at 19:07.

start at 80-100 hz depends on adjustments offered by sub.

It has hi-level gain, min - max

Hi-level freq. 30 Hz - 120 Hz (with digital readout)

Two low level controls I won't use.

Phase: 0 - 180. What does phase do?

Phase is to do with...it's complicated try switching it, IF you hear a difference settle on the one you prefer.

Set crossover to around 80 to begin with, try DSOTM. the heartbeats are around 25hz. Bring the sub in (level) until you 'feel' them. Then just back off. If bass is a little heavy consider lowering crossover point. Best of all have fun.

I've come across a snag with the wiring because of the DIN plugs. Henry will pop over tomorrow eve to have a look. It looks like the plastic DIN plugs will need adapting/cutting to fit the extra cables, albeit they're thin. I could connect them to the speaker terminals but that will mean heavily separating the Neutrik cable, which I'm not keen on doing as it's nicely terminated.

Thanks for your advice Paul, I don't mind waiting an extra day to get it all connected and working. Henry wanted to hear these Concept 20s anyway.

Henry managed to add the Neutrik cable wires to the A60's DIN plugs. It was a tight squeeze but nothing had to be cut so he did a great and neat job (as usual).

I'm getting some hum from the speakers when the amp is switched on but it doesn't seem to be audible when music is playing. I've been playing with the settings today and I seem to prefer it set at 70Hz and with very slight gain. Setting it at 60Hz works as well but at 80Hz it starts to drown out the treble. I'm not a bass head and just want some subtle underpinning to the small Concept 20s and also don't want to annoy the neighbours with a constant bass thump. I like the results so far - it definitely is a good addition providing I'm careful with the gain control - it hardly needs turning up.

Once you've settled on the gain (or not) needed you can leave it alone, I subjected starting at 80 as you're better starting slightly above the quoted specs of your speaker, how much is driver how much is port, but as you drop down you notice easier when you hit the sweet spot, did the phase button make any difference?

I haven't tried the phase control - it's on 0. Henry said it can be used if I find a bass node in the room, which so far I haven't detected. Been enjoying a bit of Bob and 'Love and Theft' on CD. Proper instruments recorded very well - it sounds wonderful and only at lowish volume too.

I had a big Ruark 12 inch Subwoofer a few years ago. Found it worked best at very low gain ( mind you my room was quite small). My speakers go down low enough for my current room. Heard a dual Linn Subwoofer setup at a hi-fi show in a massive room. Not that great sounding.

Yes it can quickly overpower things. It needs to be subtle as Paul said. Adjust until you can hear it and then back it off a little - great advice.

I played some Bob Marley To Alison and turned the sub on and off - she heard the difference but it wasn't huge, just right.

+ Reply to Thread