+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sony SS-X70 ED

Default Sony SS-X70 ED

While on holiday in the West Indies recently I spotted a pair of these on sale on another site. They were very favourably priced and despite being sold alongside some very nice Sony ES gear no one else seemed to grasp their potential. I contacted the seller and agreed a price and collected on my return to the UK.

These are ED specified speakers. Very much the Sony ES of their speaker world. They bear more than a passing resemblance to B&W speakers in their appearance and are if anything better built than the equivalent 700/800 series speakers they align with in the B@W range. The top plate is cast aluminium and they weigh a whopping 61lbs. ED stands for extended definition and was Sony's attempt at a speaker that could make the best of the frequency range of SACD.

The sound? They throw an image around with great authority. They are neutral and don't have any stray bass frequencies that can cause bloat or boom. I am used to a forward mid range and to me these may be considered slightly recessed in the mids compared to my rather pushy 10 inch Tannoys with pepper pots. I admit I did buy with a view to playing around with them but I find I don't need to. These are my first floormount speakers since my bachelor status was revoked by my now wife and I quite like them! They were purchased to play background music at a diamond wedding anniversary celebration but to be honest if I can accommodate them I may keep them.

Caveats. A 4 ohm 89dB speaker can be an amp killer. They are relatively easy to drive though I have no doubt an impedance curve might reveal the odd nasty here or there. But I suspect some care may be needed to make sure you amp is specified for 4 ohms. You'd be surprised how many aren't and I do remember a spate of AV amp failures an on line retailer had in the last decade which was finally identified as the package which was his best seller included 4 ohm speakers. It could run a combination of 4's and 8's but an all 4 ohm rig killed the amps. So if you do ever fancy a pair of these, make sure your amp is happy at 4 ohms!

https://docs.sony.com/release/specs/SSX70ED_mksp.pdf

Last edited by Cable Monkey; 16th March 2016 at 18:09.

Do you mean my first floorstanding speakers Henry? I'm sure that pic doesn't do them justice.

Yes I do and I did proof read. The picture is accurate in that they look like that rendered in 2 dimensions. In the flesh they are more substantial with metal fittings and good quality fixings. Bizarrely it is the grill which perhaps cheapens them a little.

Have any sold on ebay, sold items? I wonder how much they should sell for and I'd love to hear them in a largish room.

You can see from the lack of interest here that these speakers have slipped in under the radar. Can you fit them in your small room without major upheaval?

Quote Originally Posted by TIU View Post
    You can see from the lack of interest here that these speakers have slipped in under the radar. Can you fit them in your small room without major upheaval?
    They go in fine and work quite well in there although I still prefer my Tannoys. Was told yesterday they were no longer needed at the celebration they were intended for so I'll just relax and use them when I fancy for now!

+ Reply to Thread