+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: UK dealers in the 1980's...

It is quite as simple as that . I am not saying dealers are bad , I am saying they exist within an hegemony which is bad.

the point of my post is that choice should be limited . If I need a heart by pass , I do not need 6 doctors telling me they would do it this way and there is best , if I need the best sounding amplifier for £650 why are there 150 choices .

As for your last point , having 4 children and a lazy stay at home wife , my purchasers were always middle market and I do not consider there is any dealer who would have been able to make me happy with my hifi .

In the end I started building my own speakers and in 2010 I found a certain website were it was suggested I should take off the x-over from my bass drivers , wire in series and dope the cones .

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Quinn View Post
    If I need a heart by pass , I do not need 6 doctors telling me they would do it this way and there is
    Perhaps. But that may depend on which doctor has the best survival rate figures. Or if you have a particular issue and one of those doctors has a new way that may just save your life.

...if I need the best sounding amplifier for £650 why are there 150 choices.
    Because we all have different ideras of what best means. Do you like warm and cozy? Do you like clean and accurate. Do you like loads of bass or no bass? Do you like a massive 3d soundstage or don't you care about soundstages? Its your choice. You pick the one you like best.

In the end I started building my own speakers and in 2010 I found a certain website were it was suggested I should take off the x-over from my bass drivers , wire in series and dope the cones .
    Good for you. You walked away and made your own choice. I am sure you like them better than any other speaker you considered buying in its place.
    20 years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please God, don't take Kevin Bacon

On the notion of differing tastes leading to differing choices , I don't accept this . I suspect if we heard the same equipment in the same room there would be a consensus as to which sounded the most like music .

Doctors cannot have a differing way of doing things , the test for negligence is the bolam test and that is what a reasonable doctor would do in the same circumstance with the same facts . This creates consensus .

And survival rates stats are a chimera . Just see what would happen to the surgeon with the best stats if he moved to operate on people in Blackpool .
    Last edited by Daniel Quinn; 21st March 2016 at 16:01.

On the notion of differing tastes leading to differing choices , I don't accept this . I suspect if we heard the same equipment in the same room there would be a consensus as to which sounded the most like music .
    Nonsense. Or all people would have Naim amplifiers or 300B SETs.

Doctors can and do have different ways of doing things. I required a shoulder op a few years ago. The first surgeon was a slice and dice type of guy who liked to open you up to do the surgery. In his opinion it was the best way to make sure he did a thorough job.

The second surgeon was a keyhole type of guy. In his opinion that was the best way to do the operation. Less intrusive and quicker recovery.

Neither was wrong but I went keyhole.
    20 years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please God, don't take Kevin Bacon

Quote Originally Posted by ESK View Post
    Nonsense. Or all people would have Naim amplifiers or 300B SETs.

Doctors can and do have different ways of doing things. I required a shoulder op a few years ago. The first surgeon was a slice and dice type of guy who liked to open you up to do the surgery. In his opinion it was the best way to make sure he did a thorough job.

The second surgeon was a keyhole type of guy. In his opinion that was the best way to do the operation. Less intrusive and quicker recovery.

Neither was wrong but I went keyhole.
    I do not follow your logic vis-à-vis naim amps

Arthroscopic or incision are methods of entry in to the body , they can be a choice in certain operations , they are not allowed in some. Either way the doctors are following a set of choices and established practices , they are not doing as they please.
    Last edited by Daniel Quinn; 21st March 2016 at 17:09.

Doctors cannot have a differing way of doing things , the test for negligence is the bolam test and that is what a reasonable doctor would do in the same circumstance with the same facts . This creates consensus

lets skip the medical analogies, with a heart it only has a few tubes in and out, there is a way to perform heart surgery, it has been tried and tested for years, what you don;t get are patients preferring one way over another. now lets turn your analogy round, there are many ways to amplify a musical waveform, valve amps, solid state, 300b valves, OTL valves, how can there be one true when when there are many different ways of arriving at the same point, it's like asking what is better, a Ferrari or a tractor? Depends if you are going for a night on the town or want to plough a field.

As for your consensus that the same people in the same room will agree on what they hear, unlikely, unless they like the same thing, you see it at hifi shows all the time, one guy singing away to himself, lost, and two others leaving the room shaking their heads muttering.

As for midrange kit and DIY no reason why you can't get a decent sound, especially with the DIY bit, a few on here dabble in that to great effect, and for what you spent on your speakers you'd get nothing close in the commercial world, where DIY often falls down is in the look and finish dept, it rarely falls down in performance compared to factory built.
    Last edited by The Professor; 21st March 2016 at 20:48.

Can we have some more inappropriate analogies please?

opcorn:

An appropriate one would be buying a new car. Think of the wide choice and peoples' tastes as to what suits them, not necessarily what is the best.
    Last edited by TIU; 21st March 2016 at 22:44.

Quote Originally Posted by TIU View Post
    Can we have some more inappropriate analogies please?

opcorn:

An appropriate one would be buying a new car. Think of the wide choice and peoples' tastes as to what suits them, not necessarily what is the best.
    Yeah. That's why some people buy French cars.

Or Italian!

Quote Originally Posted by eddie spaghetti View Post
    Yeah. That's why some people buy French cars.
    ... that let the rain in.

Or Italian!
    Touché

Cars go from a to b . That is it . Unless you are clarksonian wanker constructing a pathetic ideology of machismo there is nothing else to the motor vehicle.

hifi plays music - Music is complex and interacts with us on an emotional level s some do it better than others . When people hear hifi playing music , I would suggest consensus follows . This is a hypothesis based upon my empirical experience.

I would also suggest , 2 minutes in a dem room is not sufficient to interact with a hifi .

Hopefully not in a sexual way. You wouldn't be welcomed back.

Cars go from a to b . That is it . Unless you are clarksonian wanker constructing a pathetic ideology of machismo there is nothing else to the motor vehicle.

hifi plays music - Music is complex and interacts with us on an emotional level s some do it better than others . When people hear hifi playing music , I would suggest consensus follows . This is a hypothesis based upon my empirical experience.
    You're odd.

JUst scanned through some of this and it's all of a sudden looking like the Wigwam has had an affair with PFM/AOS and this thread is the bastard spawn.

Cars go from a to b . That is it.
    Hifi systems playback recorded music. That is it. If cars simply get you from a to b, why is there so much choice? My analogy is a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by Zygote23 View Post
    JUst scanned through some of this and it's all of a sudden looking like the Wigwam has had an affair with PFM/AOS and this thread is the bastard spawn.
    Is this a good thing or a bad thing?

I haven't thought so much in ages, my head hurts.

You're odd.
    Remember the days of the old schoolyard
    We used to laugh a lot, oh don't you
    Remember the days of the old schoolyard
    When we had imaginings and we had
    All kinds of things and we laughed

Quote Originally Posted by Zygote23 View Post
    Took the words right out of my mouth. . . and the self same reason I don't go there.

Very obscure thread of non-debate!!!!
    You can only be young once, but you can be immature for ever.....

+ Reply to Thread