+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Greetings from Sussex

Default Greetings from Sussex

Good evening,

Iím Dave and I decided to join the forum after chatting to Johnnie the other day about rewiring my Excalibur arm. I think Iíve already poked a stick in the proverbial antís nest by proposing that mains leads and their terminations can affect music heard from the speakers. Respect, but no apologies!

I got into Prog and 70ís rock the first time around and I love the genres today as well as many types of jazz, classical/baroque, ska, metal and a lot of other music down the years. Hell, I discovered Shostakovich a couple of years ago!

I believe that if you care about music you owe it to yourself to have the means to reproduce it in your home as well as possible and in the best format (a subjective thing?) as you can reasonably afford. Music in the car or at work is secondary.

I love vinyl: how it sounds and how it works - putting a disc on the Rock is almost like a religious ceremony - BUT I became addicted to SACDs a few years ago: most of the sonic traits of vinyl but with virtually none of the maintenance or other woes that can befall the unwary, or even perfectly wary, vinyl addict - the current crop of SHM SACDs from Japan and DVD-A/Blu Ray releases by Steven Wilson and others are not to be ignored!

Current system is a Rock I bought many years ago, trading-in a Black-plinthed LP12. The Excalibur followed after getting rid of the Ittok, which was shortly after fettled with a Kiseki Purpleheart which had the VdH treatment some years ago. Rest of system is Anatek Reference phono stage, CM0.5 passive pre with silver transformers and Mogami wiring, Anatek MB50 monobloks with transformer inputs, and B+W 801 3s on low stands. I also use a Sony 9000ES SACD player. A Pioneer 861avi shares CD duties and most recently a Sony BD player bought to play those Steven Wilson remasters (and some films not on HD-DVD) all playing through an Arcam irDac.

Yes, I love music and the occasional film and intend to continue doing so!
    got myself a one-way ticket....... going the wrong way - AC/DC Ride On

Hi Dave and welcome to the forum. We are a quiet bunch here too busy listening to music but there is the odd flurry of activity and he advice can be quite helpful. Hope you stick around.

Thank you, Eddie S. - much appreciated!

D.

Hi Dave, welcome, interesting system, and I like your approach, I had an SACD player, but I never found any titles that I wanted to buy, if you like classical there's a fantastic choice, most of the rock music ones sounded soft, like they were trying too hard to emulate vinyl, often the cd layer was better, I gather the discs are rather cheaper now too, which is a bonus.

Welcome Dave. All opinions are welcome here. Some may not agree with those opinions but we won't throw the toys out and delete or edit your posts, or personally insult you or put you on the naughty step. It's just a hifi after all. I can't speak for the Prof though, he's turning into a right grumpy old git.

Some of the classical SACD's are superb but I don't like enough of it to purchase many.

As Paul says some of the rock ones's can be poor. The MOFI Doobie Brothers of the Captain and Me is better on vinyl. The Joe Satriani ones on the other hand are really superb - if you like that sort of thing!
    20 years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please God, don't take Kevin Bacon

Hi y’all,

Thanks for the welcome! Probably too much detail there in the post? Oh, well.

Professor: there are some amazing titles out there in SACD-land - the first press Dire Straits first five albums, Black Sabbath’s first (now oop), 10cc Original Soundtrack (first pressing) all SHM SACDs. Other more ‘ordinary’ SACDs: Patricia Barber ‘Distortion of Love’ on MoFi….wonderful stuff, I reviewed it on SACD.net. Oh, love the avatar!

TIU: I’m a grumpy old git too - the sciatica, the gout, the bad knee…..I need good music, a good film and a steampunk novel/collection to make life bearable!

ESK: as I said to the Professor, see if you can check out an SHM SACD sometime - a few good albums out there and some good MoFi SACDs too - I’ve been waiting for Abraxas for over a year now but Santana’s first is available now Stateside on MoFi and there’s some Lynyrd Skynyrd and Roxy Music on SHM if you look on eBay and Amazon.

Eddie, thanks again!

In the meantime I shall bide my time and wait for my arm to come back from Johnnie - I need to play some vinyl again!

D.

Most of the titles you mention I have on vinyl or CD. What's important is whether you like the artist and/or album, not simply the fact it's on SACD. That to me is loving the format, not the music.

Quote Originally Posted by TIU View Post
    Most of the titles you mention I have on vinyl or CD. What's important is whether you like the artist and/or album, not simply the fact it's on SACD. That to me is loving the format, not the music.
    Ah, yes! But remember what I said about (subjectively) 'the best available'? It's good to have favourites on different formats sometimes. I am waiting for another version of Patricia Barber's Cafe Blue' on pre-order. I already have it on vinyl, CD, HDCD, MoFi SACD and can never decide which I prefer! Sorry if I come over a bit hot and heavy about some SACDs but they really are gorgeous to these ears.

D.

I'm the same with DSOTM and yes I do have the t-shirt.

Quote Originally Posted by katabatic View Post
    Ah, yes! But remember what I said about (subjectively) 'the best available'? It's good to have favourites on different formats sometimes. I am waiting for another version of Patricia Barber's Cafe Blue' on pre-order. I already have it on vinyl, CD, HDCD, MoFi SACD and can never decide which I prefer! Sorry if I come over a bit hot and heavy about some SACDs but they really are gorgeous to these ears.

D.
    Come across as heavy as you like, most of the titles you mentioned I have in other formats, not sure I like them enough to buy another format, and Patricia Barber's stuff sounds great on any format. It's a moot point for me anyway these days, got rid of my SACD player, and gradually dropped down the digital ladder, from a Marantz SA7 to a Mac mini, HDMI to telly, then out of telly headphone socket to preamp, it's good enough for my digital, better than a CD player sitting there doing nothing. I can watch movies and you tube on it too

If I want a serious head back eyes closed listening session it's vinyl all the way.

Eddies right lots of tunes in hear , seem like. Nice buch to me, just getting on with it , jb , Apparently I am the head of the spelling club as well , jb

That 'Unmastered' Patricia Barber SACD has arrived today from the States....too tired to bother playing it yet (I'm working long hours) but I'll let you know as I know some of you do like the lady's work.

+ Reply to Thread