+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Badge of honour? Banned from Linn forums!!

Quote Originally Posted by WullieD20 View Post
    you could smack it with a 2ib hammer
    Show me one I can do that to.

Quote Originally Posted by TIU View Post

i think he meant the wall, a 2lb hammer would wreck and LP12, mind his current turntable might get a little scratch or dent, but thats about it.

I never said you wouldn't damage it!! I said you wouldn't hear the knock through the speakers.

I used to wrap my LP12 plinth REALLY HARD with my knuckles to show people the properties of the suspension. Not a sound from the speakers, no bounce whatsoever, no mistracking at all..... Totally benign. . .

And the very best reason in the world to remove the wank trampolin system....

G.
    Last edited by WullieD20; 29th March 2016 at 17:51.
    You can only be young once, but you can be immature for ever.....

hitting an LP12 with a hammer is about the most accurate sound you will ever hear from an LP12

LOL...... Biased I'd say... he he he

Why wouldn't it work without the springs? There are plenty of excellent decks with solid plinths, modern ones too.

Why wouldn't it work without the springs? There are plenty of excellent decks with solid plinths, modern ones too.
    And just about all of them feedback unless they are properly isolated or in another room.

Of course there are... many many excellent TTs that work perfectly well without springs.

But that brings us back to your original question, whereby the location of the deck is so important. Vibration / footfall and outside influences all passed into the structure of the TT (the plinth component) transferred into the platter and reproduction system.

A TT with a sprung (or isolated) chassis from the plinth system attempts to resolve the problem by removing outside influences from the playing surface.

So, despite all that's gone before (in this thread) a sprung TT can bounce or mistrack just as easily as a non-sprung system if mounted on an inappropriate shelf / rack system etc. All of which may have no relevance at all if your house has a concrete floor, but could be very important if you have a room with a suspended floor.

G.

The main proble with the Linn is not the flimsy build, it's the compressed conical springs. Fundamentally a conical Spring under compression will want to move sideways to maintain equilibrium, there is no coupling in the LP12 to prevent this, the main reason it's so sensitive to footfall if on a suspended floor.

Aha, but I'm working on an alternative for this which will eradicate the issue and also provide a superb aural upgrade for little cost. It' providing a superb performance right now. Folks just need to have a little faith in me.

That's the luvvie's on another loser yet again then

I'll wager you are doing what I did to my AR years ago!

So it will be even more not an LP12?

Gordon, so my Dual 505 with its springy top plate was designed with the same principle?

Yes indeed Gary. But it will be a fantastic turntable just as is my prototype right now…

Ai repaired main bearing with special ultra low friction thrust pad so that allows pre Cirkus bearing to be used with Sole VII, motor at 07:30 position mounted differently to Linn's means, Norton Airpower PS, our prototype suspension system, Sole VII sub-chassis, PU7 tonearm, Plattamat 2, Music Maker III cartridge.

Yeah man, they are my ears but God, it all performs just so the music washes over me.

Quote Originally Posted by Cable Monkey View Post
    I'll wager you are doing what I did to my AR years ago!

Apologies CM missed this earlier..

If you don't mind may, I enquire as to what you did with your AR?

I have/had a PT anniversary , it as been extensively modified . I had some concerns as to motor/belt/platter movement following the fitting of a maxon motor . You could see the intelligent counterweight on my roksan Tabriz move minutely back and forth as it played .

As such I replaced the springs with nylon bolts , sorbothane washers and springs . It now does not move . Once isolation from floor was improved , I prefer it .

So you completely removed any vestiges of suspension with your Anni. I can probably understand why you prefer it.

Quote Originally Posted by John R View Post
    Apologies CM missed this earlier..

If you don't mind may, I enquire as to what you did with your AR?
    I replaced the springs with sorbothane hemispheres. It provides good isolation from any motor noise and fixes the motor/belt/platter relationship. Literally fixes it to a single position because there is no bounce. I have a very good wall shelf so it made sense when planning it and it worked when I tried it.

Quote Originally Posted by John R View Post
    So you completely removed any vestiges of suspension with your Anni. I can probably understand why you prefer it.
    I replaced the springs with nylon bolts , sorbothane washers and springs
    I think Daniel fitted new springs and meant the counterweight no longer moved.

Hi Gary.

I read into Dan's post that with his Anni's suspension he could see the counterweight of his Tabriz moving and this stopped when he removed the springs, (tension springs in this case) and replaced with nylon bolts, it then visibly stopped moving.

Anyways, isn't it great to see that owners of other makes of TT are not afraid to experiment, whereas LP12 owners are far more reluctant. I put this down to the stranglehold Linn and some of their more vociferous dealers still have on LP12 owners.

Hopefully, not too far into the future that will all change when there will be a realisation that they've been duped for far too long.
    Last edited by John R; 31st March 2016 at 22:19.

The counterweight on a Tabrizi is a pile of horses doovers. It swings about on the back of the arm like a chimp on a swing. I used to hate it when I had one on a Xerxes 20.
    20 years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please God, don't take Kevin Bacon

+ Reply to Thread