+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: D.S.O.M.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Quinn View Post
    Unsure as to why you are personalising the issue.
    Because it's about your speakers.

Your post is patronising. You are suggesting you know better than me but never having heard them. To suggest a book should trump my empirical experience is absurd
    Perhaps it will help your understanding of what you are doing and its effects. My post was not patronising, but if thats the way you interpret it.

My speakers are for me no one else. You have reminded me of Dave Brailsford explanation on why British Cycling was so successful, he said it was because they do not employ cut and paste thinkers, people who have simply learnt and employ the orthodoxy, we employ first principle thinkers.
    to suggest i am a cut n paste thinker is you jumping to conclusions, to employ first principle thinking when it's couple with known procedure and facts (electrical in this case) you may benefit from knowing the current thinking, in order to circumvent it, as a reference if you will, in this case there is so much fact known about drivers and their behaviour, it would be silly not to understand it, before trying to change it.

A number of speakers have a directly coupled bass drivers including Epos ES11.
    thats irrelevant, unless you are suing Epos ES11's

As for the RD effect , Again patronising . As I tell my children daily , I am the cleverest person I know and I make up my own mind . As it happens in 2009 I was trying to build a crossover having read all there was to read when I came across H/S. I was not a member of any forum , did not know one single other person interested in hifi [ I still do not] my first and only post [ for a while ] was a question about crossovers . RD suggested ditching the x-over , doping and wiring the bass drivers in parallel . I tried it and I was astonished as to how it sounded. It was emotive , enjoyable and like music , not hifi.
    how is that patronising, it's true isn't it, Richard once took a speaker and removed the wadding, damped the box and doped the driver with copydex, he then transposes this to all speakers are shite, all are compromised, then builds his cubes.

Now I haven't heard the cubes, I dare say the sound excellent, like many DIY speakers, sound way better than the equivalently priced commercial affair, but as you said you tried it, and liked it, what have you not tried that you might like, I mean was it the losing the xover, doping the drivers, adding damping, changing to a new drivers, unless you know the convention how can you find your panacea, there might be more to come.

[QUOTE=Daniel Quinn;123884]I am amused that most of the people who disparage the idea have actually never listened to NVA cubes or tried the docs mods{/quote]

I have not disparaged them, I have questioned your assertion that you can't do any better, and that ALL subs are crap as they complicate the audio chain (a fine example of where your cycling quote would work)

Here is what I know . I tried they worked for me .

Many people have tried then and have agreed.

Many people have ditched much more expensive speakers for NVA cubes .
    I'm not surprised many commercial speakers are shit, a couple of plastic cups and some string could better many, but thats just chaff and tells us nothing about why.

I did not say all subs are crap . I said for me they are and I have no inclination to try one , a bit like triathlon . It is what I do , I question to the extent I annoy

I stand buy my assertion in my room , that I could not better my speakers and I am however willing to be proven wrong .

I like my cheap bk sub so much I'm going to buy another one. It's not just for subterranean bass, that's an urban myth. Mine is set to to operate at and below 60Hz and overall it greatly improves the sound above that too due to improved harmonics. I don't measure things, I judge with my ears and from many, many years of listening to music of most types.

I would love to hear DSOTM played through the new Spendor floorstanders I looked at today in the May edition of one of the hifi mags (can't remember which one). They have twin 12" bass drivers, a mid driver and a tweeter - 15k.

I am totally against subs , they complicate the audio chain , introduce phase issues and I don't see much music on vinyl below 35hz

I have been building speakers for five years .

My current speakers are JPW AP2 carcass .
    The mods are as follows
    The bass driver has been replaced with a NVA cube bass driver with a doped cone. There is no crossover on the bass driver . The speaker cable is hired wired direct to the bass driver .
    The treble is also hard wired to the speaker cable but there is a resistor and capacitor in circuit.
    There is no wadding in the speakers
    The speakers have steel plate glued to the inside to add mass
    The speaker cables are hard wired to the amplifier pcb .
    Want another set to play with?
    http://www.hifiwigwam.com/showthread...15#post2286115

If you were really worried about accurate reproduction you'd get your room acoustically treated and install some studio monitors. It's a very different sound to hi-fi but I find it quite nice.

There are quite a few different versions of DSotM, the recent reissue on vinyl sounds quite lovely. I think it's a wonderful record as there's so much music on it, it has a perfect arc and tells the story as it goes on, it's not just a series of tunes.

The MFSL edition I'm watching is currently at 130 with two hours to go. This Mofi release is an early one in their vast catalogue but it's fairly common so it usually goes for a lot less. Somewhat dependent on condition and whether all the MFSL leaflets/bumf is included, but the seller I'm watching (he is constantly listing old records in very good condition) seems to attract over-inflated prices for most of his listings. I've been amazed at some of the prices.

I have a copy and thought I knew its value but maybe not.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3718062190...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Blimey, it went for 234 and it had this:

PLEASE NOTE THERE IS IDENTIFICATION WRITING FROM THE ORIGINAL OWNER/SHOP ON THE RECORD LABEL AND WITHIN THE SLEEVE PLUS ON THE CARD INSERT - SEE PHOTOS.
    Last edited by TIU; 20th December 2016 at 21:39.

Sad thing is the recent remasters probably sound better.
    20 years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please God, don't take Kevin Bacon

For Ex/Ex+ that's not silly, that's taking the piss, I wouldn't pay more than a tenner for an ex/ex+

Quote Originally Posted by ESK View Post
    Sad thing is the recent remasters probably sound better.
    I must do a comparison sometime.

+ Reply to Thread