+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: System re-vamp ?

Default System re-vamp ?

As a new member thought I would just open this up for discussion/suggestions.
    Have just blown the dust off various pieces of equipment after a few years of non use.
    I have now been relegated to my office((the loft) for listening to music.
    Turntable - Nottingham analogue interspace with rb250 and goldring elite plus project phono box se
    Amp - Copland csa 8 integrated
    Cd - Marantz dr 6000 cd recorder
    Speakers - a pair of old b&w
    Also a MacBook Pro laptop which has my ITunes library about 5000 songs or thereabouts
    The turntable is going to j7 at audio origami for some tlc and probably an upgrade to the arm.
    As space is an issue and as I would also like to have access to the music in iTunes - I am looking for suggestions of linking everything. I love the easy of using iTunes but the sound from the MacBook is pretty poor. I do not have a nas at present although I do have a couple large external hard drives.
    I have no problem with the sound from the Copland but it is getting on in years a bit like myself but there might more suitable options out there for me.
    I will probably have a cull on the vinyl collection as a go along around 2000 albums and a few hundred 45s.
    The router for the house is also in the loft and is a virginmedia super hub.
    All suggestions welcome
    Robin

These questions are always hit and miss as what Bill Gates would do is probably not what I would do and what both of us would do is obviously limited by our experience

. But for what it is worth I would do if I had a 1000 - 2000

1] Under no circumstance would I cull the vinyl
    2] Old B&W could be anything so I cannot comment.
    3] I would swap the amps for NVA
    4] I would swap the cartridge for a ZYX or Benz

However much more preferable would be to spend 2 years buying and selling on ebay and trying as much as possible so you can make up your own mind .
    Last edited by Daniel Quinn; 31st March 2016 at 11:09.

Thanks Daniel,
    It won't be a major cull but there are a few regrets in there I think.
    The speakers are b&w cd m2 se's I think
    Not heard the NVA products one the Zyx

You can probably get 350 for your speakers on EBAY , all kinds of speakers out there 2nd hand for that money ,epos es11, royds , JPW AP , rega kyte , rs 1 2 or 3 . I personally prefer speakers with simple 1st/2nd order crossovers .

NVA amps are available on sale or return - you pay , you get , you listen for 30 days . You not likey you return for full refund .

There is also a loan scheme but you would need to visit the hifi subjectivist forum .

I currently have on loan an a20 and p20 passive pre amp and power amp - whilst my nva amps are repaired - which costs 300 combined and is unbelievable for the money IMO .

In the interest of full disclosure , I would call myself a friend of Richard Dunn's [ NVA owner] so my only recommendation would be for you to try it and see what you think. If I was being mischievous however , I would bet you 10 you would prefer it to your Copland

I will have a look at NVA, always open to good suggestions and a wee 10 bet maybe

Your on , not having heard the copland I am guessing simply based on my preference for NVA and passive pre amps in general .

Quote Originally Posted by Rmcin626 View Post
    As a new member thought I would just open this up for discussion/suggestions.
    Have just blown the dust off various pieces of equipment after a few years of non use.
    I have now been relegated to my office((the loft) for listening to music.
    Turntable - Nottingham analogue interspace with rb250 and goldring elite plus project phono box se
    Amp - Copland csa 8 integrated
    Cd - Marantz dr 6000 cd recorder
    Speakers - a pair of old b&w
    Also a MacBook Pro laptop which has my ITunes library about 5000 songs or thereabouts
    The turntable is going to j7 at audio origami for some tlc and probably an upgrade to the arm.
    As space is an issue and as I would also like to have access to the music in iTunes - I am looking for suggestions of linking everything. I love the easy of using iTunes but the sound from the MacBook is pretty poor. I do not have a nas at present although I do have a couple large external hard drives.
    I have no problem with the sound from the Copland but it is getting on in years a bit like myself but there might more suitable options out there for me.
    I will probably have a cull on the vinyl collection as a go along around 2000 albums and a few hundred 45s.
    The router for the house is also in the loft and is a virginmedia super hub.
    All suggestions welcome
    Robin
    This souns like one for the Prof. He uses Apple products an external drive and an Airport Express I believe.

If you are going to the trouble of having your turntable and arm fettled then why would you cull your vinyl? Madness.

I think that Copeland is pretty tidy little amp. I don't know your speakers but if they are a touch inefficient then perhaps the copeland isn't driving them properly.

I would keep the Copeland and get the best pair of loudspeakers you can afford and/or a better phono stage.

Euan
    20 years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please God, don't take Kevin Bacon

The vinyl side of things will be fine once the deck has been stroked by Johnnie, depending on his inspection report on the Elite stylus/cantilever. The Phono Box SE is very good (I owned one) - you would need to spend at least three times the cost to improve on it. Also the Goldring Elite is a fine cart (still retails at 575) so you would have to buy something in the 750-1.2k range to better it. I wouldn't replace it with a Benz Ace or a ZYX, that's for sure. I would look at one of the Benz Micro Glider S, maybe the medium output model. How old is the Elite? Approx. how many hours on it? Or perhaps one of the better Ortofon MC carts if the Elite is past its best.

I had a Copland CSA8 and while its very good I found it lacking in power. It's a separate pre and power in one box and I think the pre is passive so the power amp's limited 60 watts a side reaches its full potential quite quickly and then there's nothing left. I found with average sensitive speakers (the Kef Q300 IIRC) I could turn the Copland to maximum volume and it sounded very good but there was nothing in reserve and it wasn't at a level to annoy the neighbours (not that I wanted to).

I don't know the B&W speakers so don't know how good they are but looking at them online they are proper small bookshelf speakers so I'm sure they sound ok in a smallish space. Due to their small driver size they only go down to about 65Hz and are not overly sensitive so depending on your room size and the type of music you prefer, I would be looking to replace them with something larger.

I don't have a digital source system as such so won't comment on that side of things.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Quinn View Post
    You can probably get 350 for your speakers on EBAY
    Sorry m8 but that's nonsense. Just do a quick sold items search on ebay.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/Sound-Visi...p2045573.m1684
    Last edited by TIU; 31st March 2016 at 19:37.

I spoke to Johnnie today so hope to have the deck sorted in the next few weeks, I have owned the deck from new and the arm and cartridge are the originals although they are a few years old they have not been used much, as they have been in storage. I will probably upgrade the Copland, until I bought it all my amps were valve amps of various types unless I go back to my first couple of systems but that was over 30 years ago. My taste in music is fairly broad through, soul, blues rock and Americana - just as long as the music has soul I'm happy.
    The room is fairly small it is a loft, I will look at the speakers as well but they are not the first priority - I'm just trying to pull things together and get back to enjoying the music from the different sources now that I have a bit more time.
    Please keep your suggestions coming, I am looking at all of them.

New arm, perhaps a better phonostage. Efficient speakers, or maybe headphones

Keep the rest.

As for the Mac, depends what you have the existing files stored at. I use Apple lossless. Now I just use the headphone out of a Mac mini, but the headphone socket is also an optical digital out and can be sent to a DAC, personally I think it sounds ok as it is, but digital is not for serious listening in my house. DACS can be had from 30 up but I'm not convinced they are any better than what's in the Mac.

Quote Originally Posted by TIU View Post
    Sorry m8 but that's nonsense. Just do a quick sold items search on ebay.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/Sound-Visi...p2045573.m1684
    the ones in the list are not representative . Any conclusion based upon the 5 examples would be fallacious .

2 are collection only - Only an idiot sells speakers at collection only .

the other 3 are from America .

IMO A benz ace is better than a goldring elite full stop , end of story . As is a ZYX rc 30 but it is no longer available .

I attribute this to better diamond profiles and boron cantilevers .

plus I am not sure what price as to do with quality in hifi .
    Last edited by Daniel Quinn; 1st April 2016 at 08:58.

I don't agree with your comment on the speakers. The ones listed give an accurate representation of their second hand value. I assume they sell for more in the US and other countries due to them being an established British brand.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Quinn View Post
    plus I am not sure what price as to do with quality in hifi .
    You could always google it. You may learn something new in addition to the stuff brainwashed into you by RD.

You really are a knob.

Ta .

However you may need a new dictionary as it would appear your definition of a knob is anybody who as the temerity to disagree with you. Are you Donald Trump ?

PS - Perhaps Robin can use the rep power rating to decide between conflicting opinions
    Last edited by Daniel Quinn; 1st April 2016 at 09:28.

You keep saying as instead of has. Just a small thing but odd when you seem quite erudite.

Who is Robin?

You can blame the Oldham education system for that .

robin is the o/p .

I'm curious as to why you hold the view that ebay's sold items feature does not give an accurate indication of an item's monetary value. Why would 'speakers that have sold recently for less than 100 (in the UK) be worth more than three times as much? I wish I had a pair to send to you so you could offer them for sale on ebay or on any other site.

+ Reply to Thread