+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Pioneer CS-99a Restoration

Looking forward to seeing how this project turns out. Those clips will be hard to come by as you don't see grilles for sale on their own. Posting on the wam and other larger forums might help.

Often you see similar speakers of the same vintage for sale, Pioneer seemed to make a dozen or so with the same grille, presumably they were all the same. Some of the speakers look quite nasty and go for very little so might just buy a pair to rob.

The drivers look generally OK, one of the mids is a little beaten up in the centre but doesn't look terminal:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vesy6l9cco..._4976.JPG?dl=0

And Bass! How low do you go? Well not that much apparently, proving that it's not the size that matters...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ihmi6iietg..._4975.jpg?dl=0

Unusual to see those brown colours.

They're from the 70's; everything was brown

Found a pack of 10 clips on eBay for $11, ordered!

Went to visit the lady who's restoring the cabs today, they already look fantastic, not sure why but I'm quite giddy with this little project. Looking forward to seeing my old man's face as he doesn't know I'm doing all this. Just thinks I'm storing them whilst he moves house.

Waiting on some of the capacitors so can't really progress much on that yet, cabs should be ready next week so all good. Will take some photos when the cabs are ready.

Cabs looking a lot nicer now:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/lge04hdj3h..._5021.jpg?dl=0

Just waiting on some capacitors (taking ages!), some lattice clips and a pair of tweeters (spotted one of them was dead).

Hopefully can start to put them back together soon.

Plodding on;

One of the speakers is now back together with the crossover re-capped. Although I'm only hearing a single one running it's definitely performing better than it did. It still very much has that retro compressed sound that it had before but it sounds smoother now and less harsh, particularly the mids which were never great. The bass is still shy despite the big 15" driver. Took quite a while to warm up too, it's an enjoyable sound but a bit inoffensive. I think that as they come from a time where your average source would have been a bit duff they're designed partly to do a good job of masking the bad. Will reserve final judgement when the other one is back together but I suspect that the project wasn't really worth the money as an exercise in high fidelity, but to restore some nice furniture and as a little project and as a gift to my folks I've thought it worthwhile.

They look great, now I know your dad is gonna be pleased, but what about yer mum? She's already got shot of them once before....

Folks came over at the weekend to have a look/listen. My old man particularly was delighted insisted they sounded much better. They've moving house on Friday and will have a ton of work to do to get the house something like before I can take them over and set his hi-fi back up.

+ Reply to Thread