+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Tannoy To Cease Production in Scotland.

We have now a mainly service-based economy. We made a right pigs ear of making mass-produced cars, they were mostly rubbish. I owned several UK made cars that just wouldn't start in slightly damp weather. Nearly every morning in the autumn and winter I'd be spraying easy start all over the distributor cap and would arrive late for work extremely stressed and pissed off.

The question of training engineers is an interesting one. For there to be a supply of good engineers there needs to be a demand in research or defence. There is nothing new to learn from analogue signals at audio frequencies. Hence the only people in audio are enthusiasts or hard nosed business men.

Quote Originally Posted by Cable Monkey View Post
    The question of training engineers is an interesting one. For there to be a supply of good engineers there needs to be a demand in research or defence. There is nothing new to learn from analogue signals at audio frequencies. Hence the only people in audio are enthusiasts or hard nosed business men.
    Germany has done alright on the trained engineers,and they didn't invest heavily on defence,they relied,until relatively recently, on other nato countries for that

Just my twopence worth:

Unfortunately I see much of British manufacturing industry kicking itself in the teeth. You've only got to watch Watchdog and some other programmes to see how badly they treat the very people who put the food in their mouths!

My experience with MF was typical example of "having no consideration for the customer". More recent personal examples are a furniture company called Beaver and Tapley, who you can spend thousands of pounds with for their very fine products, but will have no inclination whatsoever to support minor requests for 'bespoke' amendments (even though the request is simple and cost free to them). And like MF refuse to deal directly with their customer, preferring to deal through the dealer (and still refuse to satisfy the customer requirement).

I've lost count of the number of manufacturers who, when called with a query, tell me to email them, but then never respond to the email (just like MF and B&T!)

It's hardly surprising that this county's manufacturing has gone to dogs and it's not just about cars!!!
    You can only be young once, but you can be immature for ever.....

Quote Originally Posted by The Professor View Post
    It's western greed, the companies greed for higher profit margins and the consumers greed for ever decreasing prices, it's a short sighted view and is coming home to roost
    On what basis do you think it is greed? Without seeing the books and sales it could also be a move to stop the company going bust as production costs exceed profit ... Let's face it the company has produced nowt much of note since the 15 and 12 inch monitor golds .. move or die as they say ... The sad thing is they cannot reproduce the Monitor Golds it would appear, if they or someone could then there is a market for those.
    A good earwash may be the cheapest and best upgrade to your system.

I said Western Greed, I included consumers. In the west we always want more for less, although I do agree in Tannoys case their products did not keep up with the market. How you doing anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by The Professor View Post
    I said Western Greed, I included consumers. In the west we always want more for less, although I do agree in Tannoys case their products did not keep up with the market. How you doing anyway?
    you're correct,we all want everything made as cheaply as possible hence why most of the high priced apple gear amongst other things are made in china,it gives consumer a cheaper(yeah right apple)product and also maximises vendors profits,problem is that nowadays the so called ex-3rd world countries such as china/south korea not only have the tech knowledge to make the stuff but also make the machines that make the stuff,guess who will be calling the shots in another few years in all things to do with consumer technology?we all know the Chinese don't respect any patent or copyright laws(ask bmw!)so no doubt that will apply to all countries out in the east!

+ Reply to Thread