+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: A Moon Shaped Pool

Default A Moon Shaped Pool

Radiohead's ninth studio album, A Moon Shaped Pool, was released digitally yesterday evening. Just had a first listen through on BBC 6 Music. I don't like to make too much of a judgement on first listen of a new album but this one sounds very good indeed. There are many Radiohead trademarks scattered through it but it moves the band forward in a positive way. It's a gentle, relaxing album that I'm sure has many musical and vocal hooks throughout. Yorke's voice has hardly sounded sweeter. I always admire Greenwood's Eno-esque atmospheric touches; it's usually subtle and there's some lovely squeaky acoustic guitar, especially in Desert Island Disk. Really looking forward to getting this on vinyl.

For those who don't like the band, I don't care. On a desert island I could quite happily live with only Radiohead and Bjork for company.

Quote Originally Posted by TIU View Post
    For those who don't like the band, I don't care. On a desert island I could quite happily live with only Radiohead and Bjork for company.
    well I don't care that you don't care that I don't like them

Are RH not good at releasing vinyl editions? I take it you'll be up for that?

Yes, vinyl ordered yesterday, out mid June. There's a 60 special edition too.

I quite like it....might even buy the record. A few things I have noted after a few listens.

Some of the arrangements made me think of John Adams or Glass for sure.
    It also reminded me of pre Ure Ultravox which is no bad thing.

I think it is a return to In Rainbows style songs and for a band who are for the most part irrelevant these days thats ok by me.

Thanks for that. I have two from that list now and will have AMSP SE in September.

A Moon Shaped Pool Special Edition arrived today. I'm in two minds about opening it.

I've an unopened opaque white copy here I'll swap you :P

Where was that from? How limited is it? Can be bought new for about 30?
    Last edited by TIU; 5th October 2016 at 00:13.

I doubt it is limited as there seemed to be loads available in the 'indie' shops. Yep I would imagine you could buy a copy for 30 odd or possibly less. I was being facetious in suggesting a straight swap....but as you had suggested you may not open it I thought I would give it a shot . I ended up with two white copies purely by accident. Why buy it if you are not planning on playing?

Not your concern but an investment for my wife/children.

Really? I'd have thought investing the cost would have a better return. Trying to shift Radiohead LTD editions is not as easy as it should be. Took me ages to shift KOL for little more than I paid for it sealed! Possibly because it was an awful album though.

Some items become more valuable than others. It's neigh on impossible to tell when something is first released. Sometimes it's the records you overlook that become valuable.

Plus I'm not planning to keel over next week. Plus I have two copies of the regular vinyl release (one was a gift shortly after I'd bought it) so why would I need to play the same vinyl in the SE?
    Last edited by TIU; 5th October 2016 at 12:47.

Aaah I see...yes its hard to determine which releases will accrue value....unless of course you are talking Coil releases which command daft prices. I've kind of gone the opposite way though and if its not getting played it's up for grabs. (bar the Peter Gabriel, Popol Vuh and Kate bush stuff!)

I think the investment potential these days is mostly with new bands first releases whether that be a simple ep or a full lp/cd. But its still nigh on impossible to predict which are going to be the real investment.

I have been trying to buy a copy of the Smoke Fairies first release Cd "Strange the things" but its proving impossible as I am not prepared to spend silly money ......... yet but I probably will eventually pay it just for completeness sake.
    Garrard 301 with SME 3012, Garrard 401 with PU7 both in slate plinths, Puresound P10, Highphonics SUT, Glasshouse TVC Passive Pre, Bel Canto Set 40 (845 power amp), Tannoy GRF Memory`s

Im nearly sure I have a sealed Smoke Fairies LP on blue Vinyl from RSD a few years back. I must have a look.....I've absolutely no idea what they sound like either!

Yeah the blue vinyl was a RSD special. I have checked prices a couple of times and its not particularly valuable. (I have the some RSD copy myself)

Its worth a spin Steve but only if you like plaintive vocals in front of electric folk style backing. Not completely sure it will be your bag having observed what you often listen too LOL.
    Garrard 301 with SME 3012, Garrard 401 with PU7 both in slate plinths, Puresound P10, Highphonics SUT, Glasshouse TVC Passive Pre, Bel Canto Set 40 (845 power amp), Tannoy GRF Memory`s

Quote Originally Posted by Andy831 View Post
    Not completely sure it will be your bag having observed what you often listen too LOL.
    Ha you know me too well... recent purchases have been nearly all from 'Fluid Audio' which are more like artefacts than actual cD's. On the vinyl front Some Steve Jansen, William Burroughs, Pye Corner Audio, Ben Chatwin, Nils Petter Molvaer.

Maybe sit on the sealed blue Vinyl for ten years and see what happens LOL

Why are people selling AMSP special edition (the book edition) for 100 or more when it's still available from the Radiohead site for 60.00?

+ Reply to Thread