+ Reply to Thread

Thread: General computer chat

Default General computer chat

Anyone have an answer for this:

Frustrated with IPad after software update 9.3.1 as I cannot open lots of apps like You Tube and now also Facebook. Anyone know how to fix as no new updates available.

What generation iPad? I have an iPad 4 on 9.3.1 and it's fine, how's your iPads memory, how much you got spare? Do you have lots of apps 'opened in the background' ?

It's my brother's iPad so will ask him.

Annoyingly enigmatic as usual he said, 'Fairly modern with half capacity.'

Quote Originally Posted by TIU View Post
    Annoyingly enigmatic as usual he said, 'Fairly modern with half capacity.'
    Half capacity I can work out, but I need more than fairly modern. Has he tried deleting the offending apps and reinstalling them?

Is the account for the store logged in so that it will see updates and install them? There's no reported fault that would prevent any of those apps from running.
    9.3.2 is the current version. There's no reason why having installed apps, leaving them open in the background, or having little of the storage free would cause something not to run, it would give an error if there was an actual problem. Note the capacity of your device is like the hard drive on a computer, it's not the actual memory on the device, just the storage, it's not what an app uses to operate.

I would therefore:
    1) make sure iOS is up to date
    2) make sure that it was logged in to the App Store to install updates to existing apps.
    3) make sure that any of the apps that won't run are actually the current version.
    4) worst case you can reset the device and do a fresh install of everything, make sure that there's either an iCloud backup of what's installed, contacts n other data or there's the backup to the computer.

Can walk you through it if there's an issue.

Thanks qubey, I'll pass this on.

Storage IS important even in iOS the system will use some of the storage memory for programs etc opened in background, similar to a swap file in Windows, if device has less than 1GB of free space it can misbehave. A system reset might be best thing to try in first instance.

Quote Originally Posted by qube View Post
    Is the account for the store logged in so that it will see updates and install them? There's no reported fault that would prevent any of those apps from running.
    9.3.2 is the current version. There's no reason why having installed apps, leaving them open in the background, or having little of the storage free would cause something not to run, it would give an error if there was an actual problem. Note the capacity of your device is like the hard drive on a computer, it's not the actual memory on the device, just the storage, it's not what an app uses to operate.

I would therefore:
    1) make sure iOS is up to date
    2) make sure that it was logged in to the App Store to install updates to existing apps.
    3) make sure that any of the apps that won't run are actually the current version.
    4) worst case you can reset the device and do a fresh install of everything, make sure that there's either an iCloud backup of what's installed, contacts n other data or there's the backup to the computer.

Can walk you through it if there's an issue.

They don't misbehave like that, you need free space for sure but you wouldn't have an issue where apps wouldn't run and there would be no dialogue boxes. It would warn you that it was getting full.

He's sorted now. Thanks for the help.

It seems I had so many apps background running it would no longer cope. Now I am reminded how to deter running apps the problems have gone and 9.3.2 also unloaded Thanks

+ Reply to Thread