+ Reply to Thread

Thread: DAB retune

Default DAB retune

Has anyone else been affected by the DAB retune? TeamRock went online a while ago - a nuisance, but I made arrangements to feed the USB output from my pc to an Arcam rPac to play through my bedroom system (Marantz 6005 amp, Tannoy Mercury speakers) and pretty good it is too, live or on demand.

This left me with the BBC and Planet Rock on my bedside and kitchen radios and something to listen to in the car if I just wanted random musical accompaniment or the news: Planet Rockís playlist is rarely my first choice for music but itís better than most of the garbage out there.
    With the retune, Newhaven transmitter (amongst others Iím sure) no longer carries PR - if driving, I now have to be halfway to Brighton along the A27, or over Newhaven Head if taking the coast road, to get a signal and thatís with an expensive active aerial!

Although I live on high ground above Newhaven I no longer have a signal on my bedroom or kitchen radios and I canít be bothered with the tuner in the main system. The only programme I now Ďtune in toí on PR is the prog show one hour a week which I listen to on demand from the pc, usually in the bath!

Such is progressÖ..
    got myself a one-way ticket....... going the wrong way - AC/DC Ride On

I too was disappointed when Team Rock went on line. Their playlist was excellent and some of their programs played music I would not normally listen to but thoroughly enjoyed.

I have dropped into TRR on line but was not impressed. Some of those shows/presenters I enjoyed and it all sounded bit unprofessional.

Planet Rock has drop outs after the re-tune and places I used to tune in now has no signal. I find there play list a bit samey and lacking the variety of the old TRR.

How is the quality of PR after the retune? I haven't tried streaming it. Tried TRR through an Airport express and it was terrible.

Euan
    20 years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please God, don't take Kevin Bacon

Quote Originally Posted by ESK View Post

Planet Rock has drop outs after the re-tune and places I used to tune in now has no signal. I find there play list a bit samey and lacking the variety of the old TRR.

How is the quality of PR after the retune? I haven't tried streaming it. Tried TRR through an Airport express and it was terrible.

Euan
    Yeah, sounds like you have the same problem with PR no longer on your local transmitter....no great loss: as I said there's only the one show I want and I play that later in the week. If I want music in the car I have CDs on USB sticks (WAV files: no mp3 here!).

Usually listen to the Prog and Metal Hammer shows on TR on demand as well (depends what hours I'm working): quality seems okay for casual listening over bedroom system. If home on a weekday afternoon I might have Dewsbury on - he plays a good selection usually and has a good sense of humour.

TR made too many changes to their programming for my tastes - Prog show used to on Sat and Sun evenings and Metal Hammer was every weekday evening: just once and a repeat now...

Update:

TeamRock now seem to have dispensed with DJs and any form of niche (ie Prog, Metal) programming and 'on demand' content so not worth the effort of going there........

Dave.
    Last edited by katabatic; 20th July 2016 at 14:17. Reason: update 20th July
    got myself a one-way ticket....... going the wrong way - AC/DC Ride On

+ Reply to Thread