+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Sub - chassis isolation bobbins

Default Sub - chassis isolation bobbins

Yes indeedy, specifically made to do away the springy spring things and grommets which incidentally makes use and set up of an LP12 a breeze.

We've sent punt a number of set's for evaluation and given the reviewers freedom to say what they feel about these cute little things. Of course some will think they are of little merit, but others will just love what they do - it's what mikes us human I guess and not to covet the same woman

After many months of trials and different hardness bobbins, I just love what they do for my particular set up.

How do they attach and would they replace worn out squashed sorbothane?
    Last edited by Batty; 12th July 2016 at 07:24.
    I have a Rock and I'm not afraid to use it.

Hi Batty.

They are inserted into the sub-chassis in the same way as Linn spring grommets, but they are made from a superior material.

Ah, OK, no use for me, I need replacement Sorbothane feet for my Rock.
    I have a Rock and I'm not afraid to use it.

AcoustiFeet are good and cheap. They come in various hardnesses

As are Foculpods about 16 for 4 large or 8 small

https://www.amazon.co.uk/MILTY-MI005.../dp/B003AQXIUA

Quote Originally Posted by TIU View Post
    AcoustiFeet are good and cheap. They come in various hardnesses
    Quote Originally Posted by The Professor View Post
    As are Foculpods about 16 for 4 large or 8 small

https://www.amazon.co.uk/MILTY-MI005.../dp/B003AQXIUA
    Jeez guys.

Great but this thread is intended to discuss specifically made isolation bobbins for the LP12 not bleeding Acoustifeet and Foculpods both of which are not intended for LP!2 sub-chassis support and isolation !

I'm hoping that some of the peeps who already have them will discuss their findings be they positive or otherwise.

I am trying to run a very small business ya know.

JohnR

Folk are still able to comment John. It was a brief detour to advise batty. No harm done I can see.

True Gary. I can see Johns point though. No harm done though IMO.

Back on topic.

I was only avin' a laugh Guys!

Confirmed, no harm done at all

Best wishes

John R

I've used Johns bobbins for a couple of months and noticed definate improvements.

Bass is most obvious for me, tighter deeper and with even more definition. Radikal was a big improvement, the bobbins improve in a similar way if more subtle manner which is to be expected. I can hear this clearly on the 45rpm copy of Rumours, drum hits being more controlled. This alone would make me think the bobbins are worthwhile having over the springs.

In the midrange i've noticed little details in some favourites becoming clearer. Space Oddysey and the countdown at the beginning comes through clearer. Details in Dire Straits tracks I know well also come through better. Backgrounds are more silent.

Lp's not in such good shape sound quieter too, losing some of the surface noise i'm used to hearing. They do say some belt driven tt's without springs are amongst the quitest ... like the WT tables, Brinmann, Acustic Raven and Feickert

Tracking is better as is walking around or jigging while a record is playing . Initially I did think it a bit slower but don't notice this now atall. Have thought how this actually works however being no engineer I just trust my ears.

No downsides for me, all in all very good, economical and worthwhile improvement. Certainly worth a try. Good job John.

Sorry I'm late to this thread. I, too, have a set in my LP12, along side two other aI upgrades--the Sole and the Plattamat2.

Installation was a cinch, compared to other Sondek Surguries I've done. Adjusting them to level the armboard in its place was easy and quicker than with springs.

Mechanically, I like the extra rigidity when I lift the arm cue--doesn't sent it across the label. I always hate it when I play the label after a record. Also, the deck is less susceptible to jump when the dog leaps when in close proximity to the record stand.

So, for ease of installation, adjustment, and mechanical stability, I was in love before playing a record, but of course, that alone won't do it. There's no end of inconvenience we vinyl-philes won't endure for better sound. Despite my positive feelings after installation, I was not going to be a push over for a positive review. In fact, I had to wonder about the obvious differences in how these bobbins don't function like springs... How will this mess with the sound of my beloved LP12?

I don't feel I've yet given it a thorough testing, but a few impressions have emerged of which I am most certain. This product seems to continue the trend set by other aI products. More clarity or detail, a tighter sound or coherence to it, especially in the lower frequencies. Most noticeable was the more precise imaging and, in particular, the three dimensional aspects. I'm definitely hearing certain instruments positioned in front of others that weren't standing forward before.

One of the really startling " revelations" was on Diana Krall's Live in Paris cover of a Billy Joel tune. I know, great as she is with jazz standards, and Joni Mitchell covers, it can't be denied, she is a cheese lover. And this is pretty middle of the lounge singer road, verging on velveeta. But thats not my point here.

There's a tambourine in this song. I never heard it before, but with John's bobbins, when the tambourine is struck, you can hear the slap of the fingers on the skin of the thing. No mistaking it. Before? It coulda been a skinless type tambourine.

I think this is a stunning upgrade in what my LP12 can now pull from the grooves of a record.

These bobins are keepers. Thanks for this uograde, John. I can hardly wait to see and hear what's next to come from Wales. I am definitely impressed with what you've done here,
    Last edited by Tube Nube; 25th July 2016 at 02:25.

Quote Originally Posted by WillRae View Post
    I've used Johns bobbins for a couple of months and noticed definate improvements.

Bass is most obvious for me, tighter deeper and with even more definition. Radikal was a big improvement, the bobbins improve in a similar way if more subtle manner which is to be expected. I can hear this clearly on the 45rpm copy of Rumours, drum hits being more controlled. This alone would make me think the bobbins are worthwhile having over the springs.

In the midrange i've noticed little details in some favourites becoming clearer. Space Oddysey and the countdown at the beginning comes through clearer. Details in Dire Straits tracks I know well also come through better. Backgrounds are more silent.

Lp's not in such good shape sound quieter too, losing some of the surface noise i'm used to hearing. They do say some belt driven tt's without springs are amongst the quitest ... like the WT tables, Brinmann, Acustic Raven and Feickert

Tracking is better as is walking around or jigging while a record is playing . Initially I did think it a bit slower but don't notice this now atall. Have thought how this actually works however being no engineer I just trust my ears.

No downsides for me, all in all very good, economical and worthwhile improvement. Certainly worth a try. Good job John.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tube Nube View Post
    Sorry I'm late to this thread. I, too, have a set in my LP12, along side two other aI upgrades--the Sole and the Plattamat2.

Installation was a cinch, compared to other Sondek Surguries I've done. Adjusting them to level the armboard in its place was easy and quicker than with springs.

Mechanically, I like the extra rigidity when I lift the arm cue--doesn't sent it across the label. I always hate it when I play the label after a record. Also, the deck is less susceptible to jump when the dog leaps when in close proximity to the record stand.

So, for ease of installation, adjustment, and mechanical stability, I was in love before playing a record, but of course, that alone won't do it. There's no end of inconvenience we vinyl-philes won't endure for better sound. Despite my positive feelings after installation, I was not going to be a push over for a positive review. In fact, I had to wonder about the obvious differences in how these bobbins don't function like springs... How will this mess with the sound of my beloved LP12?

I don't feel I've yet given it a thorough testing, but a few impressions have emerged of which I am most certain. This product seems to continue the trend set by other aI products. More clarity or detail, a tighter sound or coherence to it, especially in the lower frequencies. Most noticeable was the more precise imaging and, in particular, the three dimensional aspects. I'm definitely hearing certain instruments positioned in front of others that weren't standing forward before.

One of the really startling " revelations" was on Diana Krall's Live in Paris cover of a Billy Joel tune. I know, great as she is with jazz standards, and Joni Mitchell covers, it can't be denied, she is a cheese lover. And this is pretty middle of the lounge singer road, verging on velveeta. But thats not my point here.

There's a tambourine in this song. I never heard it before, but with John's bobbins, when the tambourine is struck, you can hear the slap of the fingers on the skin of the thing. No mistaking it. Before? It coulda been a skinless type tambourine.

I think this is a stunning upgrade in what my LP12 can now pull from the grooves of a record.

These bobins are keepers. Thanks for this uograde, John. I can hardly wait to see and hear what's next to come from Wales. I am definitely impressed with what you've done here,

Gentlemen.

May I take the opportunity to thank you for commenting on our "In Sole" sub-chassis isolation bobbins. I am glad you like what they do for your LP12's presentation of music. We have worked on these a for a long time and now feel they are ready to bring to market. Not only will these help individuals set up their LP12's at home and help to ensure it will not go "out of tune", it's nice that you and I feel they enhance the other products we sell for the LP12. I also understand and accept one music enthusiast, who was also among the party of our customers asked to try them does not hear what we do, but I must also thank him profusely for trying them out and being totally honest with me - Thank you very much kind Sir, you know who you are.

Incidentally a member on pfm was also offered the opportunity and whilst he has not posted on the "In Sole" effect yet , he has informed me he likes what they bring to the party and will likely keep them installed. We are all individuals with personal likes and dislikes in the presentation of our music, so I'm happy they were given a good test.

Furthermore, I will include a set of "In-Soles with each Sole sold from August onwards. However, there will be a price increase along with a now anodised arm-board. All this in readiness for Sole VIII, the final incarnation, fully anodised and very Keel alike in shape, but different pocket sizes as in the case of Sole VII and of course interchangeable arm boards, catering for Linn, Rega, Naim, Moerch and SME.

Guide price of Sole VIII 750 including a free set of In Soles - now that should knock a few Kores about. Available end September

"In Sole" kit as a separate upgrade inclusive of P&P within the UK 30.00
    Last edited by John R; 1st August 2016 at 21:05.

"In Soles"! Clever name, John. I have to say that 30. is a bargoon for the performance these things bring to the table. (Bring to the table, heh heh).

Quote Originally Posted by Tube Nube View Post
    "In Soles"! Clever name, John. I have to say that 30. is a bargoon for the performance these things bring to the table. (Bring to the table, heh heh).
    Thanks Tubey, glad you like the product name !

John,
    I'd like to get a set of In Soles so can you pm or email cost with shipping
    thanks Robert
    Robert
    SE LP12/Sole SubChassisVIII/SSP12/Hercules-Mober DC&PSU/Roksan NimaUnipivot+sKale/ZYX R50 Bloom L/Whest PS30R /CambridgeAudio Azur 851A/MerlinTSM/Mytek St192DACTascamDA-3000

PM sent Robert.

Kind regards

John.

john are these bobbins similar to what was used on td124?,the ones our Swedish friend who was also banned from the linn forum used on his lp12,to much ridicule on there?

Not sure Steve, you could say similar in that they replace the springs and grommets, but I've been developing these for quite a while so they are made to fit the LP12 specifically, they are so good they will also be used on a new TT I'm designing. Would you like a set to try?

yes would be interested in trying them to see if they improve things ,I do have my turntable pre amp in a different room frm my speakers so feedback isn't an issue for me bu anything to make tt more stable both from shock and more stable from sagging springs would be of interest to me

+ Reply to Thread