+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cans

Default Cans

What are the best headphones you have owned and what are good buys these days?

I compared a few a couple of years ago, settled on B&W P5 which surprised me, as I so wanted to like the Audio Technicas getting rave reviews, but they where too harsh and bright for me.

With cans fit and comfort is as important as SQ, do you want open backed or closed? Small or large? is it just for home use?

I don't get on with cans in the house, I can't relax with them on as I keep thinking I'm hearing phantom external noises, but for plane or train they are a sanctuary

Not looking to replace my Senns, just a topic of conversation.

As if to back up the Prof, I have amongst my cans a set it ATH-W5000's. Any marketing blurb concentrates on power, comfort, fit and finish. They don't talk much about how they sound! I also have early HD650's which are very dark and broody sounding and some Beyerdynamic Custom One pro's which are fashion items as much as they are pro (disco) cans. Last but not least is a pair of Panasonic RP-HT770's which are the most flawed with creaky body and somewhat microphonic cable but they are also my oldest. My most recent HD-598's went to my Dad. Nice enough and easy to drive with a phone or tablet but just not quite 'real' enough. Headphone sources? Well I may have an embarrassment of riches here. UD-H01 by Teac and headphone out of my Bose Companion 20's both on my TV system plus my AudioByte Black Dragon DAC with headphone out and a set of X-Can V1's. Still looking for something which matches my AT's well, they seem to need buckets of power and the modern trend is the polar opposite! I may look at what the Japanese pair these with because I imagine much of the criticism they have garnered is due to the fact that popular amps (those that drive the usual Sennheiser or Beyerdynamic suspects well) simply aren't man enough for the AT's.

So the plethora of headphones available today are designed for small portable devices?

This is cool. A good match for your ATH-W5000 Henry?

https://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technic...B7EQ7CE9TZEK7E
    Last edited by TIU; 7th August 2016 at 12:48.

A main measure of any sub 100 phones (and others costing more, like Beats Studio) is their ability to be driven by mobile phones or iPod style gadgets so yes to your question.

As for amplification, 1.2 watts of class A juice is a good pointer to what might be a good match. The darling of the headphone crowd right now is a Chinese class A solid state amp that can be upgraded to quite a high standard quite easily. I might go there at around 260 rather than drop $1000 on the AT product!

Description for the AT h/p amp.

The highest hitting point of a headphone sound is here. Amplifier only for headphone which investigated infinite high-quality music playback. - A gap of a high power MOS-FET adoption - quantity reliability headset jack adoption (product made from ノイトリック) - quantity region phase in the headphone amplifier - output stage of a of Class [ A ] 1200-mW+1200-mW (32ohms) output to a limit It is brass shaving for which a correspondence - power supply part eliminates vibration and the R core transformer adoption - unnecessary vibration with few leaks of magnetism in super digital audios, such as SACD/DVD-AUDIO, on the characteristic - reproduction frequency of 5?200 kHz without the pursued compromise, and is the thing hybrid insulator equipment - It is front panel - aluminum shaving which uses an ebony and which is full of a profound feeling, and is a volume knob. / The form : Class A operation amplifier power supply : [ AC100V, ] 50/60 Hz recommendation load impedance: 600 16ohms ?ohm power consumption: 30W input sensitivity / impedance: 1.1V / 50komega rated output (20 Hz ? 20 kHz) 0.025%: 2400mW+2400mW (16-ohm load), 1200mW+1200mW (32-ohm load), 600mW+600mW (64-ohm load), 65mW+65mW (600-ohm load) frequency-characteristic:5Hz?200kHz (at the time [ -0.5 dB ] of a 100mW output +0, 32-ohm load) overall-height harmonic 歪率: 0.006% (20?20 kHz) It is セパレーション:62dB (20?20 kHz) between 32-ohm load channels at the time of a 100-mW output. 32-ohm load profit: -- 15dBSN ratio: -- 117 dB (JISA -- it and) [ input-] the time of a rated output -- output impedance: -- 0.1 ohm Input terminal : Line-in (pin jack x2) output terminal: -- headphone output (6.3 mm standard stereo jack x2) power cord: -- inlet type outside dimension: -- H93xW270xD240mm (a height -- except) mass: -- about 5.0-kg accessories: -- 3.5mm mini ->6.3mm standard conversion plug x2 and power cable (2 m)
    Last edited by TIU; 7th August 2016 at 14:32.

Can we have that in English please

I could put it through Google translate.

Quote Originally Posted by eddie spaghetti View Post
    Can we have that in English please
    <adenoids mode on> Tut tut, if you were truly an audiophile it would be obvious what it means

While on the subject of cans though, my advice to anyone looking for new cans is to seek out a dealer like Audiophilia, iirc Carlo has been a long time user of headphones, who will give you honest advice or buy from the net, s/h or with a good returns policy. If I went by the reviews for my purchase I'd have bought the wrong things, even more so than loudspeakers you really need to try them out on your own ears. I shortlisted from reviews etc, I wanted mine for use when flying, so needed to be light and portable and able to be used with an IOS device or with an added 'chip' amp. I bought them both nearly unused s/h and sold the pair I liked the least. From memory I got pretty much the same cash back for the ones I didn't keep.

My criteria was different. I tried numerous open backed or ported headphones before looking hard at, and settling on the AT's which were closed backed premium items. However your advice is prescient in that I purchased them to go with the DAC/pre that is the centre of my system and it doesn't have enough juice to drive them though it does a great job with my easier to drive 'phones.

Thought this thread was gonna be about the fairer sex. Or gender. Or whatever they're calling it now.

I have a pair of Sennheiser HD650's they're open backed and sound really lovely.

The main issue with open-backed cans is that they're almost as loud for everyone else. I think that if you intend to use them out and about then closed back is the only way.

Quote Originally Posted by Tube Nube View Post
    Thought this thread was gonna be about the fairer sex. Or gender. Or whatever they're calling it now.
    Eh? Wouldn't that be about 'racks'?

Blog Entries

Sennheiser HD480, past and present. As used by the BBC!
    cheers.....Bryan

http://qualia.webs.com/

My first ones in the seventies were Koss - They were green and weighed about 3 tons - they probably stunted growth - loved them and they still lie at the back of a cupboard somewhere waiting to be fixed. Then used various Sennsheiser's down through the years (all good) before settling on Grado 325se's for the last 10 years which I love.
    As for in ear, Shure's (315's upwards) are the best I have had but stopped buying them as they were very fragile for the price which I think they may have sorted now(?)

Resurrecting this for a moment, tried my AT's with a X-CAN V1 with the Rock Grotto modifications. What is immediately apparent is the X-Cans like to work hard while the AT's relish the extra current on tap. Head, shoulders and torso above any other combination I have heard using kit in my possession!

The X cans were underrated, great little circuit, once the PS is sorted.

+ Reply to Thread