+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Sole VIII the ultimate Sole?

Thank you Paul, your advice is always gratefully received and appreciated.

I've just read that Linn have announced an 8.5% price hike that comes into force on the same day that the Sole VIII will be released. We think it's very kind of them to consider us like this, because this will make their Kore 813.75 and their Keel a whopping 2604!

Neatly allowing us to release the Supreme Sole at 725, making it quite a bargain!
    Last edited by John R; 3rd October 2016 at 10:44. Reason: Pricing adjustment

Talk about shooting your self in the foot.
    Steve1ooo
    LINN LP12/CIRCUS/Sole MK VI /LINGO/ A/O PU7/Audio Ortofon Cadaenza Bronze
    Trichord Diablo+NCPS, Icon Audio stereo 40 MK 111 , Acoustic Energy radiance two.

Sold my LP12 6months ago due to all the expensive upgrades and lack of use, but I did seriously consider a sub chassis upgrade and yours was top of my list John. I guess though if I'd have purchased the Sole VII I would now be wanting to know how much better the Sole VIII (or Supreme) is.

That's a shame JY, what did you purchase? I completely agree with your views on Linn's pricing to make it an exclusive product.

Sad thing is it puts most LP12 owners off leaving a few of the totally committed (I'll leave the interpretation of that to the individual) to pay handsomely for their loyalty.

We always listen carefully to our upgrades before releasing a new version. We believe this final version of Sole is a winner.

John R

I'm sure it will be a winner John, price alone compared to the Linn products gives it a great advantage, showing what a rip off Linn prices are. I remember 11 or 12 yrs. ago taking my LP12 in for a service, a 180 mile round trip, and took with me a newly purchased Funk Firm acromat since I thought it was a great improvement on the felt one. It was dismissed out of hand. Never went back there again. Anyway to your other question I purchased a PT too and should get my re wired Rega back tomorrow. I have no experience with setting up turntables, always taking the Linn to a dealer, so I might have to ask a couple of questions on here.
    Last edited by jy3; 6th September 2016 at 17:00. Reason: adding comment

DQ (Daniel Quin) a member of here, has a PT Anniversary and who did way with the suspension to great effect, it may be worth PM'ing him on how he did it.

Quote Originally Posted by jy3 View Post
    I'm sure it will be a winner John, price alone compared to the Linn products gives it a great advantage, showing what a rip off Linn prices are. I remember 11 or 12 yrs. ago taking my LP12 in for a service, a 180 mile round trip, and took with me a newly purchased Funk Firm acromat since I thought it was a great improvement on the felt one. It was dismissed out of hand. Never went back there again. Anyway to your other question I purchased a PT too and should get my re wired Rega back tomorrow. I have no experience with setting up turntables, always taking the Linn to a dealer, so I might have to ask a couple of questions on here.
    I can tell you what to do with it but I'll get in trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by John R View Post
    DQ (Daniel Quin) a member of here, has a PT Anniversary and who did way with the suspension to great effect, it may be worth PM'ing him on how he did it.
    Thanks John, DQ has already tried helping on HFS, but I am certainly not going to mess with the suspension. I will be leaving the baseboard off though.

"I can tell you what to do with it but I'll get in trouble."

I see on your profile you have 23 friends, I guess you're not wanting any more.

Seriously though I might have been better getting a tt that was a lot more simple to set up, although it was sounding pretty good before I sent the arm away.

The hardest thing about setting up a Linn is overcoming fear instilled by their first commandment Thou Shalt Not Commit Fettlry. A bit of patience to go with your courage and it's done.

Indeed, it just takes some self determination, a little courage and much patience Tubey. I alway advise folk if it's not going the way you want it to, go and take 20 minutes away from it. Thankfully there other ways and means nowadays though.

Sole VIII the Supreme Sole has landed.

Fully anodised 725.
    Last edited by John R; 15th October 2016 at 14:59.

That looks really nicely finished John. Whats the latest news on the new bobbins/springs?

Thanks jy3!

Bobbin kit is available m8.

Regards.

John.

It looks fantastic!

Thanks Tubey, it has taken long enough m8! I've tried so hard to keep the cost really competitive whilst improving finish and performance...

Set up is so easy, well in fact there's no set up required just install and level it and that's with springs!!

Regards

John.

How can it be that there's no need for prolonged tweaking of the springs to get the bounce right?

Now with the bobbins, as I already well know it, it's just as you describe.

I guess I just got lucky m8, but they are clearly not as good performance wise than the bobbins. It's why I rebuilt the deck with the Sole VIII and springs' n grommets.

Regards

John.

Looks superb John.
    Steve1ooo
    LINN LP12/CIRCUS/Sole MK VI /LINGO/ A/O PU7/Audio Ortofon Cadaenza Bronze
    Trichord Diablo+NCPS, Icon Audio stereo 40 MK 111 , Acoustic Energy radiance two.

+ Reply to Thread