+ Reply to Thread

Thread: iTunes

Default iTunes

iTunes is driving me round the bend! It seems impossible to organise or reorder the music files as the program keeps reverting back to how it was. It keeps including albums such as Radiohead's and Iggy Pop's new ones as 'Unknown albums' and puts the files together in one folder. I've tried dragging the files out and adding to the Library again but it doesn't change anything.

I created a folder on the desktop, named it, eg. 'A Moon Shaped Pool'. Placed the files in that folder, relaunched iTunes, went to 'Add to Library', selected the albums files and they copied (where to, fuck knows). On relaunching iTunes the album doesn't appear- the files are still in the 'Unknown album' folder.

I had a media files folder on the older HDD and another one of the new HDD so thought that may be confusing things. So I compared the two and deleted all duplicates and as a result have now lost all my Bjork files (don't laugh, I liked them). I moved some Steve Hackett files by placing them in the folder with the album name (the folder already contains some tracks from the album), restarted everything but the files remained separate and in the Unknown album folder, mixed up with the Radiohead and Iggy Pop files. Most albums are recognised and list correctly but it seems there's no point changing files around in the iTunes Media folder because any changes are ignored.
    Last edited by TIU; 9th September 2016 at 20:25.

What format are those files in, and is the meta data correct. It is that meta data that drives how the files are treated. Not how the files are named or ordered. Format matters because formats like raw WAV don't natively have meta data.

The Iggy Pop and Radiohead files are WAV. The Steve Hackett files are MP3 and some of the files from the same album are recognised ('bonus' tracks at the end of the album) as from that album but the main album tracks are not. I can still play those tracks via iTunes but I like things to be organised.

Your problem is that iTunes has the default option to 'keep music folder organised' so it reads the metadata of your files and determines where they should live. If you've bought everything from iTunes then it'll get it right however if you've acquired your music from elsewhere then there's a reasonable chance it'll make a decision that you don't want.

Go into settings -> advanced and uncheck the box the keep organised button

this is it on one of my computers but it's the same if you're on a Windows machine -

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hzzx2uj1pa...38.00.png?dl=0

Now when you drag your tunes to iTunes to add them it'll keep the music where it was.

That's great, thanks qubey.

I did what you suggested then reorganised a Steve Hackett album but renumbering some tracks and placing them in a new folder with the album name and nothing changed in iTunes. It still has them in an 'unknown album' folder along with the Radiohead and Iggy Pop files. I'm going to give up on it now, life's too short.

+ Reply to Thread