+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pink Triangle Too - AO Rega 250 upgrade.

Default Pink Triangle Too - AO Rega 250 upgrade.

Seven months ago sold my LP12 due to it not getting enough use/p.....d off with the expensive ugrades. I then purchased a PT Too with RB250 and transferred a Lyra Helikon over from the Linn. Cutting a long story short I have received back the 250 having had it rewired,foam filled and the cartridge cleaned. First let me say a big thanks to J7 for his excellent work, friendliness and helpful advice. Well now I have her up and working in a system that has all been purchased recently so what do I think?
    In one word fantastic, the tonality, detail and bass all appear to be better on the PT compared to the Linn. This is not easy for me to prove since the systems are different and the Linn was always played through far more expensive components. I'd like to put things into perspective, I purchased 2nd hand the PT, Sony 770ES, Project RS cd transport, Calyx 192 dac, and new a pair of NVA Cube 3's all for the price of the sold Linn. Have I got a bargain? You betcha.

Sounds like your happier with your new (cheaper) system. Enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by jy3 View Post
    Seven months ago sold my LP12 due to it not getting enough use/p.....d off with the expensive ugrades. I then purchased a PT Too with RB250 and transferred a Lyra Helikon over from the Linn. Cutting a long story short I have received back the 250 having had it rewired,foam filled and the cartridge cleaned. First let me say a big thanks to J7 for his excellent work, friendliness and helpful advice. Well now I have her up and working in a system that has all been purchased recently so what do I think?
    In one word fantastic, the tonality, detail and bass all appear to be better on the PT compared to the Linn. This is not easy for me to prove since the systems are different and the Linn was always played through far more expensive components. I'd like to put things into perspective, I purchased 2nd hand the PT, Sony 770ES, Project RS cd transport, Calyx 192 dac, and new a pair of NVA Cube 3's all for the price of the sold Linn. Have I got a bargain? You betcha.
    The Pink always had a better mid range and top end than most turntables, until others cottoned on to acrylic/alternative platter materials and using similar suspensions. The suspension in the Pink is far more effective as it stretches rather than compresses springs, so they always revert to a lovely up and down bounce. However, in my opinion the bass is improved the more mass is employed in a turntable platter (so for me the Linn had a better deeper bass) and Systemdek thought the same with their MK IV as the turntable platter was half vinyl half mazak and I bought one (sounds fab to me). Faced with having to choose between a Linn and a Pink Triangle the Pink wins every time .. happy days. It may be worth giving a nice heavy record weight a go to see if the bass improves on your Pink - do some google searching to see if anyone has tried it.
    Last edited by uzzy; 29th May 2017 at 13:45.
    A good earwash may be the cheapest and best upgrade to your system.

The problem for me Uzzy, putting a heavy record weight on, the platter would 'catch' the outside of the plinth. Adjusting the suspension to compensate, would mean the belt would fall off if there was no record or weight on the platter. I cannot say whether my previous Linn had a deeper bass [Linn sold before PT purchase], but I am more than happy with the bass on the PT, much tighter, and seems to drive the music along much better when needed.

Quote Originally Posted by jy3 View Post
    The problem for me Uzzy, putting a heavy record weight on, the platter would 'catch' the outside of the plinth. Adjusting the suspension to compensate, would mean the belt would fall off if there was no record or weight on the platter. I cannot say whether my previous Linn had a deeper bass [Linn sold before PT purchase], but I am more than happy with the bass on the PT, much tighter, and seems to drive the music along much better when needed.
    I agree - the Pink Suspension is tuned for the acrylic platter - it would be a nightmare to play with the suspension so if a puck is too heavy then it won't work I guess .. the only way you would realise that bass extension is not as good as the heavyweights would be to compare side by side (it is not as if we are talking massive difference) and the mid and top end resolution win by a mile compared to the Linn. Leave the PT well alone and enjoy
    A good earwash may be the cheapest and best upgrade to your system.

+ Reply to Thread