+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Mains Conditioners

Default Mains Conditioners

Anyone here using a mains conditioner such as a Wireworld Matrix 2 or similar. What are the benefits of these and are they a worthwhile upgrade ?

I'm currently using what I wails call standard extention blocks with a gang of 4 sockets for plugs on each block. At present I have two in one extention and 3 in another.

Should I consider a surge protector of some kind ?

I use a turntable, CD player, pre and power amp, phono stage, power supplies for phono stage and CD player.
    Thanks
    Samz

It depends whether or not you have a dirty mains supply. Immediately go out and buy gold plated fuses, align all the screw heads in each plug and go on the Russ Andrews site, he's waiting for you.

Quote Originally Posted by TIU View Post
    It depends whether or not you have a dirty mains supply. Immediately go out and buy gold plated fuses, align all the screw heads in each plug and go on the Russ Andrews site, he's waiting for you.
    Ok thanks, guess I will stick with what I have got.

Take what I posted with a pinch of salt. It's an avenue worth exploring and I'm sure there are members on here with personal experience of improvements gained in this area. A clean power supply is crucial with all hifi components. Perhaps if you can do it inexpensively (relatively) it would at least give you peace of mind.
    Last edited by TIU; 30th October 2016 at 22:28.

Quote Originally Posted by TIU View Post
    Take what I posted with a pinch of salt. It's an avenue worth exploring and I'm sure there are members on here with personal experience of improvements gained in this area. A clean power supply is crucial with all hifi components. Perhaps if you can do it inexpensively (relatively) it would at least give you peace of mind.
    Ok thank you I will do some reading up, thing is I don't know whether my mains supply is dirty (as they say) or not.
    I've been re positioning my hi fi system in my music room and really spent some time tidying up the mess of cables when I thought of mains conditioners. I will have a read up and see if it's worthwhile.

Come and listen to my system since you last heard it Samz and I'll reversal (I wrote reveal!) what I've done to lower the nose floor by a considerable margin.
    Last edited by John R; 31st October 2016 at 10:14. Reason: presumptive spell checker again!!!!!

I've tried most of them over the years, especially when I worked in hifi.

At retail the cost of my kit is approaching 6 figures, the cost of my wires is approaching 50 for them all, and I don't use any conditioning, when I tried it I thought I could hear a difference, but since now not having any I don't really care, system sounds amazing by the way.

If you can try before you buy, or get your money back then by all means use your own lugs, but be careful, suggestion is a powerful drug.

Quote Originally Posted by John R View Post
    Come and listen to my system since you last heard it Samz and I'll reversal (I wrote reveal!) what I've done to lower the nose floor by a considerable margin.
    Sounds interesting John, did it cost much to achieve the improvement and can anyone do the modification or does it need a specific skill.

Interested to hear any free of charge tweaks or very low cost ones.

I have read elsewhere about cleaning cables, not so sure how it improves the sound mind you but I will give it a go. One thing I heard which I will try is moving my Phono Stage away from my amplifier and power supplies. It did look rather neat where it was next to its matching power supply but I will have a go at moving it away from its power supply, I have the room to do it.

I plugged my mains cables for the amp and phono stage into the wall socket instead using an adapter. Seemed to improve the sound a little.

Quote Originally Posted by samz View Post
    Sounds interesting John, did it cost much to achieve the improvement and can anyone do the modification or does it need a specific skill.
    Less than 50, but you need to be able to solder.

If there's room to move things about, then it'll be worth your while to read up on speaker placement, and experiment with optimizing spaeaker positioning and listening position. You might also make use of drapes, rugs, etc. if your room is too "lively."

It's pretty telling that the Prof has seen fit not to spend money on expensive cableage or power conditioners.

Quote Originally Posted by John R View Post
    Less than 50, but you need to be able to solder.
    Let me guess John, hard wire the cable to the equipment getting rid of the IEC socket.

Quote Originally Posted by Tube Nube View Post
    If there's room to move things about, then it'll be worth your while to read up on speaker placement, and experiment with optimizing spaeaker positioning and listening position. You might also make use of drapes, rugs, etc. if your room is too "lively."
    My room is lively when I dad dance to Chicory Tip.

That's a bit too lively for me.

;-)

Quote Originally Posted by jy3 View Post
    Let me guess John, hard wire the cable to the equipment getting rid of the IEC socket.

Nah jy3. I made some nice interconnect up for my phone stage to pre amp with some good but quite inexpensive low capacitance microphone cable from studios pares and it eliminated annoying hum I was experiencing on phono.

Microphone cable?
    Now it picks up the tv sound.

Uhmmm...

No m8, but my TT used to pick up FM (faintly) - but not any more.

in theory my system should sound better with very short speaker cables and long pre/power amp interconnection but because I live in the real world and am married other bits of kit in the house did introduce a slight hum which I couldn't get rid of by re-routing the cables between pre/power it sounds better wired up the "worse way"
    )ne thing that did seem to sound better to me was to remove the spike protecting mains block from the equation,but that may have been imagination or me just wanting things to sound better in the "looks a lot tidier without that there"(wifes words!)mode!

+ Reply to Thread