+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 37 of 37

Thread: Mains Conditioners

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    512
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Earth loops and picking up RF aren't going to be cured by better quality copper, earth loops cause the hum so look at either adding or removing an earth connection to stop the loop. If you're having rf interference which is usually a capacitance issue or badly shielded cable then adding an ferrite filter to snap over the wire in question can make all that noise go away, they're only pennies -> https://www.amazon.co.uk/Willful-10-...VBC/ref=sr_1_1 just buy one that's big enough to go over your cables.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    11,097
    Rep Power
    1792663

    Default

    How do those work qubey?

  3. #23
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    7,910
    Rep Power
    209994

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TIU View Post
    How do those work qubey?
    They suck up the bad noise and leave the good noise

    Actually they filter out high frequency noise above the aural spectrum so that audible frequencies aren't affected but the RF noise sees a higher impedance and is thus attenuated.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    11,097
    Rep Power
    1792663

    Default

    Don't let Russ Andrews's loyal customers see those.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    512
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TIU View Post
    How do those work qubey?
    It's all magnets:

    http://www.murata.com/en-eu/products...en-20120713-p1

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    11,097
    Rep Power
    1792663

    Default

    So no smoke and mirrors? Damn.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Carmarthenshire, West Wales.
    Posts
    1,016
    Rep Power
    155404

    Default

    Better than being all bollocks though?

  8. #28

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by qube View Post
    Earth loops and picking up RF aren't going to be cured by better quality copper, earth loops cause the hum so look at either adding or removing an earth connection to stop the loop. If you're having rf interference which is usually a capacitance issue or badly shielded cable then adding an ferrite filter to snap over the wire in question can make all that noise go away, they're only pennies -> https://www.amazon.co.uk/Willful-10-...VBC/ref=sr_1_1 just buy one that's big enough to go over your cables.
    or nick one off an old usb cable from your pc,most used to have one

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    512
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TIU View Post
    So no smoke and mirrors? Damn.
    It's a very real science, nothing to do with hi-fi really, but if you have low level signals and a risk of interference then they could help. I used to have an 'Aura Evolution' amp which was shite and suffered with all kinds of interference, those filters really helped get rid of the noise.

  10. #30

    Default

    it used to be common practice in bygone years to use ferrite rings etc to stop rf breakthrough,seems less of an issue nowadays with modern amps prob manufacturers limit the bandwidth more than in the past

  11. #31
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    11,097
    Rep Power
    1792663

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by steve195527 View Post
    or nick one off an old usb cable from your pc,most used to have one
    I have one on an old Kodak USB cable. Not sure how it comes off though, I'm good at breaking things.

    Wouldn't the circumference of a USB cable be smaller than a standard power cable?

  12. #32

    Default

    they normally have clips on one side and a kind of hinge on the opposite side,usually the hole is big enough for mains cable,unless your using the stuff same thickness as you would wire a cooker up with.ie as thick as your thumb!

  13. #33
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Rickmansworth
    Posts
    85
    Rep Power
    14068

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by John R View Post
    Nah jy3. I made some nice interconnect up for my phone stage to pre amp with some good but quite inexpensive low capacitance microphone cable from studios pares and it eliminated annoying hum I was experiencing on phono.
    Nobody wants annoying hum when listening to vinyl. lol. Pleased it worked for you John. You could also try my suggestion/thought of hardwiring you equipment as well.

  14. #34
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    South Wales
    Posts
    55
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Just an update, I've had some fun moving my equipment to a different part of the room in the last couple of weeks. Also trying different speaker cables, cleaning cables and alternating between different cartridges etc all good fun.
    One thing I established what the difference in moving the Phono Pre Amp away from the rest of the equipment, being still a bit of a novice I guess my Heed Questar Phono stage looked rather neat on top of the Naim Power Amp. Not that there was anything obvious in terms of noise but as soon as I moved the Phono Pre Amp away from the rest of my equipment I there was a completely silent background. A worthwhile excercise which cost me nothing, it sounds better and the cables look a lot neater now.

  15. #35

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by samz View Post
    Just an update, I've had some fun moving my equipment to a different part of the room in the last couple of weeks. Also trying different speaker cables, cleaning cables and alternating between different cartridges etc all good fun.
    One thing I established what the difference in moving the Phono Pre Amp away from the rest of the equipment, being still a bit of a novice I guess my Heed Questar Phono stage looked rather neat on top of the Naim Power Amp. Not that there was anything obvious in terms of noise but as soon as I moved the Phono Pre Amp away from the rest of my equipment I there was a completely silent background. A worthwhile excercise which cost me nothing, it sounds better and the cables look a lot neater now.
    I have for last 30yrs always used separate pre/power amps and all the pre amps have all been susceptible to hum induced by the power amp when playing via disc input if used too close to each other,my current DNM pre uses power supplies also separate from the pre,I was amazed how quiet it was with the gain turned up full compared to anything I have used prior to it,may be just because of its design and not the power supply being separate though

  16. #36
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    11,097
    Rep Power
    1792663

    Default

    I remember when I moved my main system to a different part of the room, firing 'widthways' instead of 'lengthways' and it was as if I'd got a new and better system.

  17. #37
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    , , United Kingdom
    Posts
    64
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Emperor's new clothes springs to mind .. we are all subject to variations in the mains so there is argument for a gizmo in the way to ensure a constant 240 volts and if you can remove noise if it is there then fine .. am I going to spend a lot of dosh on it - nah I don't think so ...
    A good earwash may be the cheapest and best upgrade to your system.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts