+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Linn LP-12 Sondek WTPaudio Corian Sub Chassis

Default Linn LP-12 Sondek WTPaudio Corian Sub Chassis

Anyone know anything about these things, many cheap compared to others?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=182342107025

Interesting. At the very least, it gives people more choice.

I'd like to hear how it performs, so I may secure one simply to assess its potential as I have with other alternatives, Cetech, Inspire, Linn etc.

Corian is what they make kitchen worktops from, should be a solid material.

Tempted to buy one to try.

Well it would not be a great loss if it didn't work for you.

Anything is better than the Linn steel chassis because that really is poor which is why I find it truly remarkable that the LP12 was designed by Linn. Ha of course it was! They bang on about precision engineering for years, until they themselves finally realise many years on that what they were saying (about the importance of the arm board/chassis connection) that they were in fact very wrong indeed, oh the irony! Every aftermarket option I have tried has improved on the early Linn chassis/ arm-board set up. But it's the level of improvement that is the crux of the matter for the purchaser, what we call "bang for buck" and all that I have tried have been subjectively variable in that attribute.

By all means give it a try and report back what you hear, I guess it will an improvement on the standard steel chassis/mdf arm board set up.

I mean the Keel is reported to be an improvement on that - sorry, had to pop that in
    Last edited by John R; 6th November 2016 at 12:58.

Xavier Creese Bond, a very posh sounding name.

Ordered, will report back.

Quote Originally Posted by qube View Post
    Ordered, will report back.
    Seems too cheap to me but worth investigating.

Quote Originally Posted by John R View Post
    Well it would not be a great loss if it didn't work for you.

Anything is better than the Linn steel chassis because that really is poor which is why I find it truly remarkable that the LP12 was designed by Linn. Ha of course it was! They bang on about precision engineering for years, until they themselves finally realise many years on that what they were saying (about the importance of the arm board/chassis connection) that they were in fact very wrong indeed, oh the irony! Every aftermarket option I have tried has improved on the early Linn chassis/ arm-board set up. But it's the level of improvement that is the crux of the matter for the purchaser, what we call "bang for buck" and all that I have tried have been subjectively variable in that attribute.

By all means give it a try and report back what you hear, I guess it will an improvement on the standard steel chassis/mdf arm board set up.

I mean the Keel is reported to be an improvement on that - sorry, had to pop that in
    don't forget that according to sir Ivor none of the folk making 3rd party "improvements" for the LP12 understood how the lp12 was designed to handle resonances in it,hence all the alternate sub-chassis,arm boards etc all made it sound worse than stock,its only when sir Ivor realised that this was bullshit and also there was a big market to exploit did they change their tune(no pun intended) on the rigidity of the connection between arm base and main bearing being so important,but obviously even the cheapest,shitiest of the newer linn sub chassis out performs the very best of the 3rd party offerings, especially if the lp12 has been breathed on by one of the "expert" dealers

if the lp12 is god brigade consider it and its components to be precision engineering of the highest degree they need to take a look at this,and this is just for one bolt!

http://www.redbull.com/uk/en/motorsp...life-of-a-bolt
    Last edited by steve195527; 8th November 2016 at 12:53.

Quote Originally Posted by steve195527 View Post
    don't forget that according to sir Ivor none of the folk making 3rd party "improvements" for the LP12 understood how the lp12 was designed to handle resonances in it,hence all the alternate sub-chassis,arm boards etc all made it sound worse than stock,its only when sir Ivor realised that this was bullshit and also there was a big market to exploit did they change their tune(no pun intended) on the rigidity of the connection between arm base and main bearing being so important,but obviously even the cheapest,shitiest of the newer linn sub chassis out performs the very best of the 3rd party offerings, especially if the lp12 has been breathed on by one of the "expert" dealers

if the lp12 is god brigade consider it and its components to be precision engineering of the highest degree they need to take a look at this,and this is just for one bolt!

http://www.redbull.com/uk/en/motorsp...life-of-a-bolt
    Surely Red Bull get them cheap from China

re. Linn. They are more a marketing company than a hifi company.

Quote Originally Posted by eddie spaghetti View Post
    Surely Red Bull get them cheap from China

re. Linn. They are more a marketing company than a hifi company.
    pity really because they were once the opposite,but that was before Ivor convinced Dave Berriman(pretty sure it was him he took all night to convince!) of the night and day difference a LP12 brought to a system,before all the bulshit really

It arrived today, it's certainly considerably more solid than the original Linn one. It's a real dead weight also, unlike the Linn one it doesn't ring like a bell, which is promising.

The packaging was a little nuts as all the supplied mounting screws and bolts were loose in the box but the build quality looks quite reassuring, when I strip my deck to install it I'll put them side by side and take a few photos.

So far so good.

some of the stuff on this guys site look pretty interesting,the bearing for the TD150 especially so to me as updating my daughters for her into a lp12 plinth,reading it seems I can use my old Cirkus sub chassis with his bearing housing for her deck
    His plinths look pretty good in pics,I know you can't always tell from pics but for 129 including baseboard they seem a steal compared to the 1000's some makers charge,but of course they have special skills and use wood only found on Asgard and Krypton so is hard to source,especially the Kryptonian stuff as Krypton exploded years ago!

http://www.fidelitydesignsltd.co.uk/
    Last edited by steve195527; 24th November 2016 at 15:08.

OK first fail. the holes for mounting the bearing are too close to the centre so I cant fit the bearing, I could make the holes slightly larger I guess but then the bearing might not be quite in the right place.

A shame as it otherwise looked quite promising.

Pics?

Right, sod it, the holes were drilled at 4mm, so I've widened them to 4.5 and the bearing now fits properly.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/w1f1ealnly..._5975.jpg?dl=0
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/qv3lqt2is4..._5976.jpg?dl=0

How to upset a Linn fanboi; DIY rig:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2utuxkpe9y..._5981.jpg?dl=0

Last edited by qube; 26th November 2016 at 17:16.

Right it's back together, I can't fire it up as I need to get some oil for the bearing.

The installation was fine, all the holes seemed to be in the correct place, the original pre-cirkus chassis is really naff by comparison, I'm tempted to pull it apart and check my top plate screws as I'm not sure they're right as the chassis isn't square with the plinth. The whole deck was once dropped on its side which may have bent something.
    the platter sits a lot higher with this chassis so I might just adjust the screws to bring it down a couple of mm.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0l2xw27mhj..._5984.jpg?dl=0

+ Reply to Thread