+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Linn LP-12 Sondek WTPaudio Corian Sub Chassis

Quote Originally Posted by qube View Post
    OK first fail. the holes for mounting the bearing are too close to the centre so I cant fit the bearing, I could make the holes slightly larger I guess but then the bearing might not be quite in the right place.

A shame as it otherwise looked quite promising.
    does in not sit in a recess to centre it if you enlarge holes slightly?

Right it's back together, I can't fire it up as I need to get some oil for the bearing.

The installation was fine, all the holes seemed to be in the correct place, the original pre-cirkus chassis is really naff by comparison, I'm tempted to pull it apart and check my top plate screws as I'm not sure they're right as the chassis isn't square with the plinth. The whole deck was once dropped on its side which may have bent something.
    the platter sits a lot higher with this chassis so I might just adjust the screws to bring it down a couple of mm.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0l2xw27mhj..._5984.jpg?dl=0
    the squareness in the cutout can be adjusted by rotating the complete spring/bush combination,doing that moves the sub-chassis about horizontally around its bolt

Quote Originally Posted by steve195527 View Post
    does in not sit in a recess to centre it if you enlarge holes slightly?
    I contacted the manufacture who said he'd not had this complaint before and will send me out another one.

I think it's ok though with the larger holes as the bearing seems to sit happily in the middle

the squareness in the cutout can be adjusted by rotating the complete spring/bush combination,doing that moves the sub-chassis about horizontally around its bolt
    Doesn't it just hang beneath the screws, if you loosen the nuts and move it around wont it just pull back to where it was when you start to tighten it back up again?

will have a go anyway as it's easier than pulling it all to bits again

no it's the way to square things and adjust the bounce

http://www.theaudiofiles.co.uk/Docum...tup_Manual.pdf

no it's the way to square things and adjust the bounce

http://www.theaudiofiles.co.uk/Docum...tup_Manual.pdf
    Well what do you know! Thanks, will rotate.

Thanks for all the pics qubey, it will be interesting to read how it performs.

PS. I'm glad my tt doesn't need a 58-page setup manual.

Quote Originally Posted by TIU View Post
    Thanks for all the pics qubey, it will be interesting to read how it performs.

PS. I'm glad my tt doesn't need a 58-page setup manual.
    the lp12 doesn't really,it could be condensed to about 57! lol,
    truthfully most of the set up is common sense and universal to every turntable,linn do like to over complicate or like to make things SEEM complicated,otherwise why could their dealers charge so much for a service,costs more to have a lp12 serviced than my car!

Another stupid question, when Linn brought out the Cirkus did they change the length of the spindle on the inner platter? Just thinking with the platter sitting a few mm higher now.

No the spindle is same,but the subcassis was thicker post cirkus,so if you use a cirkus bearing on a sub chassis meant for a pre cirkus bearing the platter rides slightly higher

Isnīt that a spacer in the box to put on the bearing house before you attach it to sub it vill lower it
    Tangerine Audio Stiletto, Plateau, Skorpion, SME V ( D ), Dynavector DRT XV 1S, Chord Signature Tuned Aray, Linn Cirkus, Linn Radikal Klimax, Tranquility
    https://www.linnarts.se

same as with the Cetech was.
    Tangerine Audio Stiletto, Plateau, Skorpion, SME V ( D ), Dynavector DRT XV 1S, Chord Signature Tuned Aray, Linn Cirkus, Linn Radikal Klimax, Tranquility

No spacer in the box, one would be nice.

I had an early Cirkus chassis with the white-liner bearing before, it sat quite a bit lower than this does, looks a bit strange now.

No spacer in the box, one would be nice.

I had an early Cirkus chassis with the white-liner bearing before, it sat quite a bit lower than this does, looks a bit strange now.
    That is because the non-cirkus bearing used with a cirkus sub-chassis made the platter run lower than standard due to the extra metal where the bearing bolts to sub-chassis,runs something like 1 and 1/2 mm low I think,what you have now is prob what would be called "normal" ride hieght

My father's LP12 always sat much lower than mine, his is a black-liner pre-cirkus deck, TBH I thought the lower height looked better. When I put my white-liner bearing on the Cirkus chassis it dropped the height by about a mm which made it look like his.

I think it's OK, still not been able to get it to square up fully with the plinth yet but it's not a million miles out.

Looking forward to spinning it up

A spacer would lower it nicely , Think VP has one for sale

Quote Originally Posted by SME V View Post
    A spacer would lower it nicely , Think VP has one for sale
    Not that I can see.

It was some years ago...sold mine with my Cetech
    Look if Mark have some left.
    Has even looked with Simon on the Audio Files.

Hi Qube

Question to Mark on VP
    Hi
    Looking for a spacer that I think you have in store for the bearing high for Lp 12 in metal.
    I think itīs was from you I got this some time when I bought an Power Suply Basik.

Answer from Mark

Hi Lennart,
    Yes we do have them but we are leaving for holiday today at 12pm and will be back on the 14th…
    I will contact you then..
    Regards Mark

I think you can order him directly after the 14 th

/L

Awesome!

I span it up this morning https://www.dropbox.com/s/hhpmis4fd6..._6002.jpg?dl=0

The difference is really quite stark, the noise floor has definitely dropped which has brought out a lot more detail, it sounds a smidge brighter also.

You can see from the photo that the armboard isn't quite square with the plinth, it was as square as it wanted to go but I had the same problem with the old Linn one. Also the height of the platter, would be nice to lower it a mil or two.

But all in all, a good result. will put my old bits on eBay.

If anyone is not too far away from Leeds and fancies having a look at / listen to this sub-chassis then you're welcome.

+ Reply to Thread