+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Linn LP-12 Sondek WTPaudio Corian Sub Chassis

Nice one Matt, a wise and frugal purchase no doubt.

Thumbs up

Nice deck Cube
    Good purchase
    NO ONE : Tangerine Audio Stiletto, Plateau, Skorpion, SME V ( D ), DV DRT XV 1S, Chord Sign Tuned Aray, Cirkus, Radikal Klimax, Tranquility.
    NO LINN : Woodsong, PEEK, SSP 12, AI bobbin https://www.linnarts.se

Quote Originally Posted by qube View Post
    Awesome!

I span it up this morning https://www.dropbox.com/s/hhpmis4fd6..._6002.jpg?dl=0

The difference is really quite stark, the noise floor has definitely dropped which has brought out a lot more detail, it sounds a smidge brighter also.

You can see from the photo that the armboard isn't quite square with the plinth, it was as square as it wanted to go but I had the same problem with the old Linn one. Also the height of the platter, would be nice to lower it a mil or two.

But all in all, a good result. will put my old bits on eBay.

If anyone is not too far away from Leeds and fancies having a look at / listen to this sub-chassis then you're welcome.
    The armboard being dead square was never one of the biggies when I worked at place selling lp12's,that was purely a cosmetic thing,what was more important was free movement of the suspension,getting the bolts to go centrally down the spring/grommet of each one(or as near as poss) but the arm board on a "standard linn" does have a little amount of adjustment if needed by loosening the 3 srews that secure it a little bit a moving/rotating the armboard to give it a more square look if needed then re-tightening it up,not sure if that is possible with the sub/armboard combination you are using though,never seen them let alone fitted them.
    Looking at yours I would be quite happy with that to be honest,or you could get one of the "Linn Expert Dealers" to take a look,they would probably criticize your choice of bits,mess with it for a while and relieve you of about 300!
    I'm in Littleborough but get to Leeds reasonably often so may drop in on you,will warn you though not just turn up on your doorstep lol
    Last edited by steve195527; 29th November 2016 at 21:48.

This one doesn't allow for any movement they bolt together quite tightly. I know you could move the original arm board about but I always thought that would change the distance between the spindle and the tonearm mount-point. I know they had the 'Kinkey' to measure the distance between the two but again I thought that was more to ensure your armboard was square with the chassis not the plinth.

My timber is a bit warped as it doesn't sit flat on a table and you can tell it's slightly twisted when you screw the base to it. The whole thing has free movement and plays just fine it's all purely cosmetic. When you see pictures of LP12's they look IMO wonderful and classy, after spending a lot of money on mine I think I want it to look better. I think I'll just source a new plinth when funds permit and make sure it all aligns when I assemble it.

This one doesn't allow for any movement they bolt together quite tightly. I know you could move the original arm board about but I always thought that would change the distance between the spindle and the tonearm mount-point. I know they had the 'Kinkey' to measure the distance between the two but again I thought that was more to ensure your armboard was square with the chassis not the plinth.

My timber is a bit warped as it doesn't sit flat on a table and you can tell it's slightly twisted when you screw the base to it. The whole thing has free movement and plays just fine it's all purely cosmetic. When you see pictures of LP12's they look IMO wonderful and classy, after spending a lot of money on mine I think I want it to look better. I think I'll just source a new plinth when funds permit and make sure it all aligns when I assemble it.
    I've always thought moving the armboard by loosening the screws wasn't the ideal solution for your reason given but linn did say that was the way to do it,they may have changed their tune with the latest subchassis on offer by them as all of them now go under the arm position,the arm being fastened to the sub and not just the armboard and therefore the arm is in a fixed position relative to the bearing,which seems to remove and wiggle adjusment to square the board in the plinth gap
    For the price the plinths this guy has on offer look good:-
    http://www.fidelitydesignsltd.co.uk/
    from his site:-
    The cost of an LP12 plinth and baseboard would be 129.
    Last edited by steve195527; 30th November 2016 at 14:26.

Hmm, a carbon fibre subchassis. How much is that one? There are a few cropping up now.

Quote Originally Posted by TIU View Post
    Hmm, a carbon fibre subchassis. How much is that one? There are a few cropping up now.
    all stuff there is well priced,by that I mean cheaply priced compared to some other stuff on sale,some folk charge over a grand for a plinth!

this for example

https://www.cymbiosis.com/product/wo...e-lp12-plinth/
    Last edited by steve195527; 30th November 2016 at 21:38.

Fark me! For a plank chopped into 4 lengths?
    20 years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please God, don't take Kevin Bacon

Quote Originally Posted by ESK View Post
    Fark me! For a plank chopped into 4 lengths?
    and that is 2nd hand!problem is some folk will only buy stuff if it's expensive,they correlate quality with price,in never occours to them that they may be being conned or ripped off,what is the saying about a fool and his money?

And they charge extra to fit it, at least when you buy bits from Linn the price includes fitting.

I think I've got an oak plank in the garage. ...
    20 years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please God, don't take Kevin Bacon

Quote Originally Posted by ESK View Post
    I think I've got an oap blank in the garage. ...
    fify.

And they charge extra to fit it, at least when you buy bits from Linn the price includes fitting.
    not always,you try and get something like an arm cable fitted for it's retail price!Mind you it could depend on which dealer you ask
    Last edited by steve195527; 30th November 2016 at 23:34.

Are these Linn dealers freemasons?

So I contacted the seller as I couldn't get the thing to line up, he sent me a replacement out FOC. Although I couldn't see anything amiss with the old one after stripping it all to nothing and rebuilding it again it's all aligned just nicely now.

It got me thinking though; as this is clearly heavier than the original you have to tighten up the springs more to get to the right height. The spring at the back has to be quite a bit tighter than the one near the front and particularly the one near the motor. With each spring at a different tension when you do the bounce test it tends to create lateral movement as they all have different mass and damping to deal with, this seems more apparent with a heavier sub-chassis and arm-board. Has anyone therefore looked at having different springs on each corner or adding some kind of weights to balance the whole thing so each spring could therefore be exactly the same? I appreciate it's possibly getting a little bit OTT but made me think.

If anyone is interested in my spare corain sub-chassis without armboard (it does fit the original Linn one) let me know.

So I contacted the seller as I couldn't get the thing to line up, he sent me a replacement out FOC. Although I couldn't see anything amiss with the old one after stripping it all to nothing and rebuilding it again it's all aligned just nicely now.

It got me thinking though; as this is clearly heavier than the original you have to tighten up the springs more to get to the right height. The spring at the back has to be quite a bit tighter than the one near the front and particularly the one near the motor. With each spring at a different tension when you do the bounce test it tends to create lateral movement as they all have different mass and damping to deal with, this seems more apparent with a heavier sub-chassis and arm-board. Has anyone therefore looked at having different springs on each corner or adding some kind of weights to balance the whole thing so each spring could therefore be exactly the same? I appreciate it's possibly getting a little bit OTT but made me think.

If anyone is interested in my spare corain sub-chassis without armboard (it does fit the original Linn one) let me know.
    The spring being tighter(or under less compression) is also a problem using various different arms on the LP12,rotating the springs also allows for this variance,it not only moves the subchassis around a bit but does alter the way each spring bounces relative to the other two,by taking time and rotating the springs a little at a time you should be able to get your LP12 looking right and bouncing right

Maybe I should add one of SA's heavy inner-platters -> http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/391617165525, a centre clamp also of course could have the heaviest LP12's going then!

I wonder at what point the springs would just give up all together :P

A special introductory price, blimey. What's the normal price?

Maybe I should add one of SA's heavy inner-platters -> http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/391617165525, a centre clamp also of course could have the heaviest LP12's going then!

I wonder at what point the springs would just give up all together :P
    Linn seem more concerned about the bearing,they don't even recommend,even advise against,using heavy(or any) record clamps because they say the extra mass could shorten the life/damage the main bearing,using a heavy sub platter would do the same wouldn't it?AND linn always say you need to change both parts of the bearing at the same time,probably more from wanting you to spend more than for any real measurable engineering reason unless the bearing had been run without oil,so along with the heavy sub-platter you would need a new cirkus bearing housing,that is if you can still buy them as a separate unit and not just part of the cirkus kit at something like 450! (I have always though Cirkus should be spelled Circus, because the whole linn upgrade path is a bit of one!)
    Last edited by steve195527; 5th December 2016 at 01:04.

An LP12 owner seen recently, following the instructions on setting up his deck.

1242_5_balancing-act.jpg

+ Reply to Thread