+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: DIY ATC speakers recipe & result

Default DIY ATC speakers recipe & result

Just about finished now!
    I wanted to replace my old speakers. I decided to build some speakers that I certainly could not have afforded new, and probably not been able to afford 'used'.
    The project started when I came across a pair of ATC active PA65s which had been removed from a London nightclub. My target then became the conversion of these into ATC SCM150ASLT Anniversary style cabinets.

Ingredients:
    1. One pair of ATC PA65 donor speakers.
    2. Four sheets of MDF, some veneer balanced, quite a few sheets of CV Rosewood veneer, mahogany roundels for turning.
    3. Stainless steel banding, stainless steel Torx security bolts & steel threaded inserts.
    4. One pair of Townshend super-tweeters.
    5. Two 25mm thick studio insulation sheets, heat sensitive adhesive film, bituminous pads, internal pure woollen wadding, Poron foam, perforated leather.
    6. Better internal cables for speaker connection & coax (balanced) internal connection.
    7. Audi Dakota Grey paint, Rosewood stain, wax polish
    8. Custom made stainless steel outrigger bars, inserts, spikes & adjusters, rectangular & round aluminium tubing, stainless steel mesh, printed aluminium plates.
    9. Fourteen months of design, planning and hard graft. One large tin of Elbow Grease.
    10. Advice from helpful people on ATC Forums and elsewhere.
    11. One back yard with gazebo protection from the rain, one dining room floor, one kitchen worktop to work on.
    12. Family encouragement and an acceptance that if he's 'gone too far' this time, then 'what the heck'...

The FULL story is here, on Pinterest:

https://uk.pinterest.com/TheTrike/pr...ect-pa65-atc-/

Before:

After:
    Finished, apart from the grille frames...

Last edited by vintageaxeman; 9th November 2016 at 19:58.

They look great. Welcome to the forum btw.

Yes welcome.

I can see only a section of a speaker at a time. Did you go to the J7 school of posting pics on forums?

Quote Originally Posted by TIU View Post
    Yes welcome.

I can see only a section of a speaker at a time. Did you go to the J7 school of posting pics on forums?
    Hi Daft.

It was actually ME being daft, not previewing my post. Sorry! Anyhow, fixed now. Cheers, David

Quote Originally Posted by eddie spaghetti View Post
    They look great. Welcome to the forum btw.

Thanks Eddie

Quote Originally Posted by vintageaxeman View Post
    Hi Daft.

It was actually ME being daft, not previewing my post. Sorry! Anyhow, fixed now. Cheers, David
    Wow, they look the business. Much larger than I imagined from viewing your first pics. Great job.

Quote Originally Posted by TIU View Post
    Wow, they look the business. Much larger than I imagined from viewing your first pics. Great job.
    Thanks!
    I think they look a bit 'flash' at the moment, although they are largely modelled on ATC's actual SCM150ASLT Anniversary models....
    When I have the grilles made, they should look a lot more subtle.

They look awsome - in a big JBL sort of way.
    20 years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please God, don't take Kevin Bacon

I agree they DO look brash....but I hope when the grilles are on, they will blend in more. I did copy the front baffle of the SCM150 Anniversary speakers pretty closely, and the stainless 'waistband'. Also because I added a super tweeter in, and the info plates, they do look a little more old-school I guess.
    The pic below shows an original ATC speaker, although this is the slightly smaller SCM100ASLT Anniversary.

I like the way you've over-engineered it. The multitude of screws on the front baffle eludes to that. Didn't realise they were as big as they were. Should shift some serious amounts of air.

Quote Originally Posted by eddie spaghetti View Post
    I like the way you've over-engineered it. The multitude of screws on the front baffle eludes to that. Didn't realise they were as big as they were. Should shift some serious amounts of air.
    Thanks! As I say, the baffle is an almost EXACT copy of the real ATC one...exactly the same number and type of Torx Security bolts, torqued up to ATC's specification. I do believe in ATC's integrity and design & manufacturing skills. I could never have afforded a pair new or even used, though. This was my way of getting to where I wanted to be. So it really is my homage to ATC's fantastic products.

How do they perform? Are you making the grilles yourself? What's your source equipment?

I have only rigged them up temporarily so far, but they sounded very good. I need to tweak a few things, and set up my Krell CD player and SPL Phonitor 2 preamp properly. And then my Linn LP12.

Yes I am making the grilles myself. I planed and thicknessed a batch of Honduras Mahogany yesterday. (see pics below!)

Last edited by vintageaxeman; 11th November 2016 at 09:23.

Top work, even down to the badges? What amps and crossovers are you using? Off the shelf or did you fashion yourself?

The amps and crossovers (ATC 350watt Amppacks are triamped with integral active crossovers) are fitted into the back of the cabinets. The PA65s had these fitted, so it's an ACTIVE system....

My original design plan, which I did myself, and pretty much stuck to all the way through is shown below....

And the photos that follow are Amp Packs and one of my 'Homage' plates, the badges too....
    Just a bit of explanation about this the badges... I'm not trying to pass these off as ATC SCM150ASLT speaker cabinets. They are all genuine ATC parts in MY home made speaker cabinets. I HAVE made speakers before, but at 62, and after this year long project, I doubt that I'll making any more. SO I decided that they were my 'swansong' speakers. I therefore included a 'swansong' logo of my own design, and having rewired the speaker cables with Abbey Road Reference Cable, and included a pair of Townshend Maximum Supertweeters, I thought that I would design a front and rear plate which explained this, and pay homage to all the manufacturers of these important components. After all, Two of the guys at ATC and Max Townshend himself all gave me various bits of advice!
    ...And the stainless steel outriggers and spikes & adjusters have garnered a bit of attention too.....

Last edited by vintageaxeman; 11th November 2016 at 16:04.

Beautiful looking cabinets mate and welcome to TCN.
    Most will only be able to imagine how good these transducers will sound when 'warmed up' and singing.

Always great to see the quality efforts of competent artisans.

More piccies please of the build process???

G.
    You can only be young once, but you can be immature for ever.....

There's a lot on the Pinterest link Gordon, post no 1.

I can post your photos up smaller. What's your name btw?

Quote Originally Posted by vintageaxeman View Post
    The amps and crossovers (ATC 350watt Amppacks are triamped with integral active crossovers) are fitted into the back of the cabinets. The PA65s had these fitted, so it's an ACTIVE system....

My original design plan, which I did myself, and pretty much stuck to all the way through is shown below....

And the photos that follow are Amp Packs and one of my 'Homage' plates, the badges too....
    Just a bit of explanation about this the badges... I'm not trying to pass these off as ATC SCM150ASLT speaker cabinets. They are all genuine ATC parts in MY home made speaker cabinets. I HAVE made speakers before, but at 62, and after this year long project, I doubt that I'll remaking any more. SO I decided that they were my 'swan song' speakers. I therefore included a swansong logo of my own design, and having rewired the speaker cables with Abbey Road Reference Cable, and included a pair of Townshend Maximum Supertweeters, I thought that I would design a rear plate which explained this, and paid homage to all the manufacturers of these important components:
    ...And the stainless steel outriggers and spikes & adjusters have garnered a bit of attention.....

Absolutely top class work, and no way did I think you were passing these off as genuine ATC, why would you, they are probably better than the factory models.

Outstanding work. I can only imagine what these sound like. I'd love to hear Delicate Sound of Thunder or Pulse through these.

+ Reply to Thread