+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: DIY ATC speakers recipe & result

Quote Originally Posted by TIU View Post
    Outstanding work. I can only imagine what these sound like. I'd love to hear Delicate Sound of Thunder or Pulse through these.
    Hi, Daft! Thank you. Glad to hear that you enjoy Floyd too.

Quote Originally Posted by WullieD20 View Post
    Beautiful looking cabinets mate and welcome to TCN.
    Most will only be able to imagine how good these transducers will sound when 'warmed up' and singing.

Always great to see the quality efforts of competent artisans.

More piccies please of the build process???

G.
    Competent Artisans! I like that! Thank you very much for the compliment. Your signature at the bottom of your post is SO very similar to mine!

Quote Originally Posted by The Professor View Post
    Absolutely top class work, and no way did I think you were passing these off as genuine ATC, why would you, they are probably better than the factory models.
    I doubt they're actually better than ATC's product in technical respects, and certainly ATC's quality of construction is WAY better than mine. BUT...these are my babies, and I have taken great care where I could and I also threw ALL the knowledge I had at them. My spikes and feet I am really pleased with. I put a mains neon on the front of the cab. It's USELESS round the back. The interior of mine is a complete LATTICE for rigidity. My internal cabling, both Apogee coax and Abbey Road Reference speaker cable, are better than the standard ATC cables, I'm sure. And I do have a super tweeter but I'd much rather have the new ATC silver wired tweeter. Oh well, I'll never afford those! ut I'm proud of my retirement project!
    I took my initial inspiration from reading about the SCM150 ASL Pros that David Gilmour had on his houseboat ASTORIA studio, which he and his tech guy weren't happy with the solidity of, so they got ATC to modify them. If you read the article about the installation, there's a lot to be learned.
    http://www.tubemastering.com/philtaylor.pdf
    Last edited by vintageaxeman; 11th November 2016 at 17:17.

Which page? There's a lot to plough through there.

Can I ask how much the donor speakers were?

Which page? There's a lot to plough through there.

Can I ask how much the donor speakers were?
    The Pinterest page is named PRIDE & JOY.
    https://uk.pinterest.com/TheTrike/pr...ect-pa65-atc-/

There were 17 pairs of PA65 speakers which were taken out of the Movida nightclub in London when it closed down, and they were sold off. Occasionally a pair will still pop up on eBay. I have been in touch with 3 of the other purchasers to discuss their projects. I don't know what they paid and it would therefore not be right to discuss price paid. However, you can see an auction estimate here, if you're interested:
    https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/a...e-a3f900de48c2

I meant the pdf you posted. The astoria piece.

That auction estimate gives me a ballpark figure so thanks.

Do you have any experience of ATC's small passive standmounts?

I meant the pdf you posted. The astoria piece.

That auction estimate gives me a ballpark figure so thanks.

Do you have any experience of ATC's small passive standmounts?
    The Astoria piece....page 8 (at the bottom) onwards....

I had some SCM7 passives and they were good, especially with a couple of home made ATC based 10" subwoofers.....They were better than some Sonus Faber speakers that I had at the time...

I also used to use CELEF RT-1 speakers...VERY special, with the 10" ATC woofer, a KEF B200 midrange (open backed) and a Decca DK30 horn loaded Ribbon tweeter. They're what got me into ATC in the first place.

I had a pair of Celef PE1 which had the Kef B200.
    Attached Images

Yes, Celef speakers, although an old make, are now Proac. My Celef RT1s were the most amazing speakers....much better than anything else I'd heard up to that point. I still have a pair.

Last edited by vintageaxeman; 14th November 2016 at 19:41.

I had a pair of Celef PE1 which had the Kef B200.
    I still have a pair of the mini-professionals, the later infinite baffle versions not the original(best) loaded port version,in the loft along with various other speakers I seem to keep hold of oncluding a pair of Celestion 3000's with ribbon tweeters,at the time everybody ws raving about the sl600/sl700,the 3000,5000 and 7000 knocked spots of em

Quote Originally Posted by steve195527 View Post
    I still have a pair of the mini-professionals, the later infinite baffle versions not the original(best) loaded port version,in the loft along with various other speakers I seem to keep hold of oncluding a pair of Celestion 3000's with ribbon tweeters,at the time everybody ws raving about the sl600/sl700,the 3000,5000 and 7000 knocked spots of em
    Glad to hear it. I hoard too...only trouble is rotting cone surrounds and the effects of damp sometimes....but my brother had a plague of mice attack his speakers by the look of them...
    That Celestion 7000 was a fantastic speaker!
    Last edited by vintageaxeman; 24th November 2016 at 22:44.

It's a nest of mice or a mischief of mice. I hate them.

Eek!

Quote Originally Posted by vintageaxeman View Post
    Glad to hear it. I hoard too...only trouble is rotting cone surrounds and the effects of damp sometimes....but my brother had a plague of mice attack his speakers by the look of them...
    That Celestion 7000 was a fantastic speaker!
    replaced the bass drivers in the celefs with an equivalent of the original as the surrounds had perished, the new ones had rubber surrounds so will be fine for years,the 7000 still cut it if you can find a pair in good nick,if you think about it stuff that sounded good in the past still sounds good if it's working as it should,all the so called "massive advances" in sound quality have just been hype(can anybody think of a speaker with better mids than the original ELS57?)the only thing that is better is good quality sound usually costs less in relative terms
    seemed tyler must have had a crystal ball calling his company celef because he originally used celestion and kef drive units,he must have known they would eventually become one company and pre-empted them using celef as a name!
    Last edited by steve195527; 24th November 2016 at 23:27.

+ Reply to Thread