+ Reply to Thread

Thread: SME IV still good?

Default SME IV still good?

Just wondering if the SME IV tonearm can still cut the mustard after all the years? Or is there anything out there possibly better for the same price?
    I wouldn't be buying a new one, probably after a minty/used one but was wondering how the SME IV sounds in general terms? Anyone use the IV and how would you rate it please?
    I like my music to sound open, dynamic and punchy etc....

I'm running an Acoustic Signature Challenger Mk1 turntable - Kinshaw Perception 2x phono-stage - Music Maker 3 cartridge.

Any replies appreciated.

Regards;
    challenger

If you are in the market for one of these then also consider the Audioorigami PU7 or uniarm. About the same price. Johnny the head of AO frequents this place. Why not send him a PM. His name on here is j7.

Cheers for that info....

The SME is still an excellent arm. Good analogue never really changes much. If it was a great arm 20 years ago it will be now. The caveat is simple. Get a good one, have it checked out by SME or Johnny here. Personally I have a 2010 PU7 and it was the arm that ended my quest. I have also owned a Kinshaw. Precious few know how good that stage is, hang on to it.

I should go for an SME IV if you get some for a nice price , Heard them many times but donīt had one my self but still a nice arm. Look even at a new one , sometimes is the used ones nearly priced as a new one.
    I had many Sme under my short time in the SME heaven but i set for the V. And i am still wondering why i sold my Ser III B , bougth it NOS NIB Spring 2016 and sounded fabolus on one of my belowed Twelves.
    AnalogueTubeAudio is good at SME to and a respectable man in Germany.

/L
    Tangerine Audio Stiletto, Plateau, Skorpion, SME V ( D ), Dynavector DRT XV 1S, Linn Cirkus, Linn Radikal Klimax.
    https://www.linnarts.se

I will try to possibly get to audition a IV in the near future.

I've been looking v.closely at the Origin Live Illustrious and the slightly higher spec Conqueror tonearms which seem to get fantastic reviews....! Probably the last tonearm you'll ever fit...

Regards;
    challenger

Quote Originally Posted by challenger View Post
    I will try to possibly get to audition a IV in the near future.

I've been looking v.closely at the Origin Live Illustrious and the slightly higher spec Conqueror tonearms which seem to get fantastic reviews....! Probably the last tonearm you'll ever fit...

Regards;
    challenger
    What you have to remember is most reviewers only live with a product for a short length of time and do seem to have products that become flavour of the month(or week year!),some things can initially sound fantastic that after a little while start to sound over exaggerated in some aspects

Quote Originally Posted by steve195527 View Post
    What you have to remember is most reviewers only live with a product for a short length of time and do seem to have products that become flavour of the month(or week year!),some things can initially sound fantastic that after a little while start to sound over exaggerated in some aspects
    I appreciate your comments. Thank you.

You might consider asking Johnny what he thinks in the audio origami sub forum. Even though he's in the business of selling his own tone arms, I'd be shocked if he gave you anything but an honest and balanced answer.

I, for yet another, have his PU7, which was no less than stunningly better than the Ittock it replaced. Sorry I have no idea how the SME compares.

Quote Originally Posted by Tube Nube View Post
    You might consider asking Johnny what he thinks in the audio origami sub forum. Even though he's in the business of selling his own tone arms, I'd be shocked if he gave you anything but an honest and balanced answer.

I, for yet another, have his PU7, which was no less than stunningly better than the Ittock it replaced. Sorry I have no idea how the SME compares.
    If I was thinking of buying a new arm I would def have the PU7 on my shortlist, It's based on the syrinx PU3 with all it's small issues ironed out,I had the PU2 for a while which always sounded good but seemed a bit delicate and seemed to go off as if you had changed tracking weight pretty quickly, may have just been the one I had but it got a little wearing to be honest,but when at it's best it was great,the PU2 never looked as if it was "finished"(looked a bit like an ongoing development project!) where as the PU7 looks as its been finished to the nth degree,what I do like about the PU7 as well is J7 can custom build for length and effective mass depending on cartridge it will be used with,and it seems you can have any colour you want!

You're right about that, Steve, it's no problem for him to make those adjustments for you. Why, it's as if he knows what he's doing! And I think he does.

Well, since it seems you're unlikely to find too many used PU7s around, good luck finding your pristine SME. I'll look forward to hearing your review of it once you've had a chance to get to know it in your own system a while..
    Last edited by Tube Nube; 10th December 2016 at 19:50.

+ Reply to Thread