+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Sorbothane motor thingy

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    476
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Sorbothane motor thingy

    So as people may know I have an annoying habit of taking my poor LP12 to bits, I don't mean to but things keep making me do it.

    That nice chap at wtpaudio.com whom I got that Corian sub-chassis from gave me one of these to try - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/222291874396

    I get that AC motors are 'buzzy', less so if you have a better power supply and even less so if you have a DC motor instead.

    The idea is (I presume) that you put the sorbothane rubber thing between the motor and the top plate and the buzzing will be absorbed!

    Brilliant, however there is a problem; if you add this thing on then the motor sits low, it's not easy to move the pulley up on the spindle as it's kinda snug, also as the motor now sits about 3mm lower than normal the 2 adjusting screws aren't long enough to do anything useful. If you leave off the oval washers then you can't adjust the angle of the motor to set the speed.

    In conclusion, if you're able to move the pulley up a few mil, and have longer motor mounting screws and angle adjusting screws then maybe the bit of sorbothane rubber might reduce some of the vibration on the top plate (which should be absorbed by the belt and suspension anyway), but as is I don't think it really works.

    As you were

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    11,023
    Rep Power
    1792658

    Default

    No, this is the ultimate upgrade (until the next one comes along.)

    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ULTIMATE-R...3D222291874396

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    476
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    woah!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Carmarthenshire, West Wales.
    Posts
    1,011
    Rep Power
    155402

    Default

    It comes at a very reasonable price but I wonder - has it actually been marketed by JML, K-Tel or Ronco?

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by qube View Post
    So as people may know I have an annoying habit of taking my poor LP12 to bits, I don't mean to but things keep making me do it.

    That nice chap at wtpaudio.com whom I got that Corian sub-chassis from gave me one of these to try - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/222291874396

    I get that AC motors are 'buzzy', less so if you have a better power supply and even less so if you have a DC motor instead.

    The idea is (I presume) that you put the sorbothane rubber thing between the motor and the top plate and the buzzing will be absorbed!

    Brilliant, however there is a problem; if you add this thing on then the motor sits low, it's not easy to move the pulley up on the spindle as it's kinda snug, also as the motor now sits about 3mm lower than normal the 2 adjusting screws aren't long enough to do anything useful. If you leave off the oval washers then you can't adjust the angle of the motor to set the speed.

    In conclusion, if you're able to move the pulley up a few mil, and have longer motor mounting screws and angle adjusting screws then maybe the bit of sorbothane rubber might reduce some of the vibration on the top plate (which should be absorbed by the belt and suspension anyway), but as is I don't think it really works.

    As you were
    the vibration/noise from the motor has to go somewhere,could be converted to heat I suppose,with the linn,according to sir ivor years ago in a conversation I had with him,the energy is allowed to dissipate in to the plinth and then into the TT support,which the TT suspension then deals with,if you do away with this path where is it going?does it go into the pulley/belt and then into the platter,bypassing suspension?one criticism that can't and could never be aimed at the lp12 was that it was noisey,either from the motor or the bearing
    PS originally the lp12 mounted the motor with cork gasket,pretty similar to this after market one(different material I know)and they found mounting the motor using the hard cone thingy's gave better results both from noise dissipation and ease of adjusting the tilt,without damaging the lugs/ears on the can
    Last edited by steve195527; 17th March 2017 at 11:24.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    476
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Yeah I came to the same conclusion.
    I did play with calibrating the power supply whilst holding the motor in my hand, if it's not quite right then the motor can get buzzy, was able to get it very quiet, sacrificed a bit of torque so I need to give the platter a push-start but quiet happy as is.

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by qube View Post
    Yeah I came to the same conclusion.
    I did play with calibrating the power supply whilst holding the motor in my hand, if it's not quite right then the motor can get buzzy, was able to get it very quiet, sacrificed a bit of torque so I need to give the platter a push-start but quiet happy as is.
    the Norton seems a happy compromise,motor runs very "buzz free" but still has plenty of torque,I prefer it to the Lingo,even though that only gives high torque on start up and then reduces once platter is up to speed to reduce motor noise,sounds thin(more clinical) compared to the Norton,the Lingo may be more accurate but I prefer the Norton

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Carmarthenshire, West Wales.
    Posts
    1,011
    Rep Power
    155402

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by steve195527 View Post
    the Norton seems a happy compromise,motor runs very "buzz free" but still has plenty of torque,I prefer it to the Lingo,even though that only gives high torque on start up and then reduces once platter is up to speed to reduce motor noise,sounds thin(more clinical) compared to the Norton,the Lingo may be more accurate but I prefer the Norton

    Got to agree with your sentiments on the Norton Steve, it's a great compromise for any 110V AC synchronous motor driven TT - been running an Airpower clone for many years now.

    I even found it superior to the genuine Naim Armageddon which I sold soon after I made the Airpower clone.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    East Leeds
    Posts
    14
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    I have got an Avondale Taps 2 which I have not used yet. I have no idea how it compares sonically to the Lingo 1 I have (mains filter removed) but I will in due course try it out.

    Sorry, a bit off topic.

    Stu
    Linn LP12, Rubikon, in sole, Aro, Argo, modified naim CD3.5, Avondale pre & power amps, B&W P4

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Carmarthenshire, West Wales.
    Posts
    1,011
    Rep Power
    155402

    Default

    Hello Stu.

    I'd fully expect the Avondale TAPS to show the Lingo a clean pair of heels. From what I have heard reports of, it's a stonking unit. I'm yet to try one, but when I do it could well replace the Airpower, though I believe it runs hot like "The Voyd" TT power supply does.
    Last edited by John R; 18th March 2017 at 20:41.

  11. #11

    Default

    just found this article looking for info on the Avondale supply, interesting info on how the lingo affects other components in a system,never thought a power supply to another component could affect something else when that something else also has a power supply,which should give its output a fair degree of isolation to what the mains input is doing:-

    http://www.neilmcbride.co.uk/ttpsu.html

    I suppose after Linn and Naim had their big all out Linn could have deliberately marketed a power supply that upset Naim gear,could be a way of boosting Linn amp sales??
    Last edited by steve195527; 17th March 2017 at 17:50.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    164
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by steve195527 View Post
    the Norton seems a happy compromise,motor runs very "buzz free" but still has plenty of torque,I prefer it to the Lingo,even though that only gives high torque on start up and then reduces once platter is up to speed to reduce motor noise,sounds thin(more clinical) compared to the Norton,the Lingo may be more accurate but I prefer the Norton
    Agree with @John and Steve the Norton was the best that I ever had for my Lp 12:s and the performance of it was more like my Klimax Radikal but it had a much nicer price off course and best ever for the money thing and leave my Lingo 2 in the backgruond, id think it was my best Lp 12 ever for the Money and contained :

    Lp 12 Black Ash - 92
    Armboard SME - 92
    SME 309 , SME std lead
    AT 150 MLX
    Cirkus and std sub
    Audio Silente Silicon Mushrooms
    Std inner and outer platter, Xtm 1 mat
    Premotec motor
    Norton Airpower PSU

    Dali Riia

    Should put the Norton on a shelf and keept it for the future , they are still hard to find those factory built in nice cond.

    /L
    Tangerine Audio Stiletto, Plateau, Skorpion, SME V ( D ), Dynavector DRT XV 1S, Chord Signature Tuned Aray, Linn Cirkus, Linn Radikal Klimax, Tranquility
    https://www.linnarts.se

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SME V View Post
    Agree with @John and Steve the Norton was the best that I ever had for my Lp 12:s and the performance of it was more like my Klimax Radikal but it had a much nicer price off course and best ever for the money thing and leave my Lingo 2 in the backgruond, id think it was my best Lp 12 ever for the Money and contained :

    Lp 12 Black Ash - 92
    Armboard SME - 92
    SME 309 , SME std lead
    AT 150 MLX
    Cirkus and std sub
    Audio Silente Silicon Mushrooms
    Std inner and outer platter, Xtm 1 mat
    Premotec motor
    Norton Airpower PSU

    Dali Riia

    Should put the Norton on a shelf and keept it for the future , they are still hard to find those factory built in nice cond.

    /L
    the page showing what you need and how to build one is still online,not sure if the exact same transformer is still available but I'm sure an equivalent one could be sourced,or one of even higher spec

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Carmarthenshire, West Wales.
    Posts
    1,011
    Rep Power
    155402

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by steve195527 View Post
    the page showing what you need and how to build one is still online,not sure if the exact same transformer is still available but I'm sure an equivalent one could be sourced,or one of even higher spec
    Indeed..

    Leigh Norton is still willing to help those who wish to make their own AP. This can be achieved by purchasing two separate traffos, or as I did have Terry and Canterbury Windings to wind a superb 1 kVA toroidal with electrostatic screen and GOSS band giving one 80V phase and one 60V phase as outputs. Put this in a nice case with one switched IEC input and as I used an XLR plug and socket for the lead to the LP12. I guess this can still be achieved for less than 150.
    Last edited by John R; 18th March 2017 at 20:42.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    476
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by steve195527 View Post
    just found this article looking for info on the Avondale supply, interesting info on how the lingo affects other components in a system,never thought a power supply to another component could affect something else when that something else also has a power supply,which should give its output a fair degree of isolation to what the mains input is doing:-

    http://www.neilmcbride.co.uk/ttpsu.html

    I suppose after Linn and Naim had their big all out Linn could have deliberately marketed a power supply that upset Naim gear,could be a way of boosting Linn amp sales??
    There are lots of rules about selling electrical equipment not just for safety but for what they do to the supply, particularly with reactive loads.

  16. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by qube View Post
    There are lots of rules about selling electrical equipment not just for safety but for what they do to the supply, particularly with reactive loads.
    they only really apply to affect from a safety point of view not how they can dirty the supply enough to cause sound issues in amps etc,some power supplies can play havoc with sound but are safe from an electrical point of view(pc supplies in some cases)

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts