+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tranquility

Default Tranquility

http://www.tiger-paw.com/tranquility

Somone who test or have bought this ?

/L
    Tangerine Audio Stiletto, Plateau, Skorpion, SME V ( D ), Dynavector DRT XV 1S, Linn Cirkus, Linn Radikal Klimax.
    https://www.linnarts.se

I know someone who was going to get one, will ask to see if he has. Think it's an interesting idea

Quote Originally Posted by SME V View Post
    http://www.tiger-paw.com/tranquility

Somone who test or have bought this ?

/L
    i'm trying to figure out how the magnetic bearing will prevent wear???

the magnetic field will suspend the mass above it, but this mass will exert the same weight on the bearing tip, in fact with the weight of the magnetic assembly your bearing will be subject to more mass, the magnet suspends the mass, it doesn't make it disappear. Having said all that a magnetic bearing will have less noise, lets hope their is enough mass and a low enough field to stop the 'chatter' bounce I experienced with a similar type of magnetic bearing in a Clearaudio TT (don't get that with the mag bearing in my systemdek die to the design and implementation, but the Clearaudio platter used to bounce up and down minutely as the magnetic field has no dampening on it's own, the design was two ring magnets like the Tangerine one, I'd be wanting a sale or return before shelling out for one.

Quote Originally Posted by The Professor View Post
    i'm trying to figure out how the magnetic bearing will prevent wear???

the magnetic field will suspend the mass above it, but this mass will exert the same weight on the bearing tip, in fact with the weight of the magnetic assembly your bearing will be subject to more mass, the magnet suspends the mass, it doesn't make it disappear. Having said all that a magnetic bearing will have less noise, lets hope their is enough mass and a low enough field to stop the 'chatter' bounce I experienced with a similar type of magnetic bearing in a Clearaudio TT (don't get that with the mag bearing in my systemdek die to the design and implementation, but the Clearaudio platter used to bounce up and down minutely as the magnetic field has no dampening on it's own, the design was two ring magnets like the Tangerine one, I'd be wanting a sale or return before shelling out for one.
    The mass will remain the same sure but the weight on the bearing will be reduced as the magnetic field will provide some lift.

Quote Originally Posted by qube View Post
    The mass will remain the same sure but the weight on the bearing will be reduced as the magnetic field will provide some lift.
    Think about it, the lift provided by the magnet will be transferred via the magnetic field to the lower portion you can't magic mass away, every action has an equal and opposite reaction, its physics, unless TA have invented anti gravity.

Think about it, the lift provided by the magnet will be transferred via the magnetic field to the lower portion you can't magic mass away, every action has an equal and opposite reaction, its physics, unless TA have invented anti gravity.
    No-one is magicking the mass away that remains unchanged, there is lift between the top plate and the platter therefore the force on the bearing is reduced. It's no different from you picking the platter up yourself whilst stood on top of the deck.

Yes the weight from the mass of the platter will be transferred to the top plate so the over all down-force is identical to what it was but the difference is that it's now is that before the entire mass of the platter was on the bearing, now some of it is and the remaining weight is on the top plate.

It's physics.

Quote Originally Posted by qube View Post
    No-one is magicking the mass away that remains unchanged, there is lift between the top plate and the platter therefore the force on the bearing is reduced. It's no different from you picking the platter up yourself whilst stood on top of the deck.

Yes the weight from the mass of the platter will be transferred to the top plate so the over all down-force is identical to what it was but the difference is that it's now is that before the entire mass of the platter was on the bearing, now some of it is and the remaining weight is on the top plate.

It's physics.

Hang on is the lower portion sitting on the excuse for a top plate? I thought it was between the upper and lower platters? Which is it?

'Tranquility does not require any modification or dismantling of your LP12. Simply remove the outer platter, belt and inner platter, place the lower assembly over the lower bearing housing, place the upper ring on the underside of the inner platter and reinstall the platters and belt.'

Splitting hairs but surely removing the platters and belt is partly dismantling.
    Last edited by TIU; 12th February 2017 at 00:15.

Hang on is the lower portion sitting on the excuse for a top plate? I thought it was between the upper and lower platters? Which is it?

So one of these you glue to the top plate, the other to the underside of the inner platter. They repel each other so there is a slight reduction in pressure on the bearing, thus less friction and lower rumble. Don't know if you need a TigerPaw top plate to mount it.

That's the concept anyway, not yet heard one.

looks like the lower part as a bit of a collar that may fit through the "bearing hole" of the top plate and let the bottom ring be supported by the sub chassis, in fact it must do otherwise the suspension would need totally re-adjusting to compensate for the reduction of weight that would be supported by the springs if the top plate was taking the load that the magnetic repulsion removed from the point bearing,to require no disassembly all the load has to be carried by the sub-shassis
    this on the pink fish forum from makers!:-

I will try and get some more images up over the weekend, as they say, a picture saves a thousand words. In the meantime, I can explain that the lower housing features a delrin sleeve which fits over the Cirkus bearing housing (upper portion) It has three recesses which allow the bolts clearance. This column is threaded to allow adjustment of the height of the lower Tranquility disc to be adjusted to take in to account thicker or thinner sub chassis.

So basically 90% of the force is directed to the area around the lower bearing housing and the remaining 10% is taken by the spindle and bearing thrust plate.

The upper Tranquility disc has an O ring in the centre boss and a large diameter O ring around the underside periphery so there is no metal to metal contact anywhere in the system. As Mark has said the upward force also ensures that it is not going to move.

Isolating each part also ensures that any steel parts nearby such as the spindle are not magnetised.

I hope to get some demo versions out to the rest of our dealers next week and we're just in the process of sending out information about the new product. In terms of hierarchy Matt, that is an interesting question. Personally I think the Cirkus bearing is a fundamental upgrade to the LP12 and more accurate. Unlike others, I tend to prefer a sub chassis upgrade over a motor/drive upgrade as I think it structures the music better. I could live with either Radikal or Lingo, but would prefer Lingo/sub chassis over standard sub chassis and Radikal. Where Tranquility sits is difficult to say, the benefit is clear across all levels of deck, lower noise is lower noise so probably before sub chassis and at Ģ399 I think it's a more accessible upgrade. I haven't got a standard sub chassis player assembled at the moment but will have a comparison of hierarchies again at some point.
    Last edited by steve195527; 12th February 2017 at 18:45.

http://www.hifible.blogspot.com/

Hi here is more photos on the Tranqulity thats more visible and a rew on it.

What i think most about and i heard it is so that the magnetic field is not equal every turn , but i donīt know if it is a problem.
    What the tranqulity does is get the bearing more quiet and less audiable and that is wery good.

/L
    Tangerine Audio Stiletto, Plateau, Skorpion, SME V ( D ), Dynavector DRT XV 1S, Linn Cirkus, Linn Radikal Klimax.

there is a bit of a review on the linn forum,if like me you are banned if your IP address is fixed you won't be able to get on to view it if it isn't static and your router has reset since your ban you should be able to,they haven't even adopted a more secure way to keep banned ex members off other than ban their IP addy they had when banned,like I have said there before:-pricks lol

they seem to love it on there, saying that the pressure on the bearing normally is 2.5 tonnes per square inch and this reduces that pressure by 90 %

It can make the whole suspension raise up a little bit so you have to adjust the suspension to compensate but as the whole lot has moved you don't need to adjust the tonearm height.

All these fixes for a flawed design, it's like triggers broom, instead of trying to sort the issues wouldn't tigerpaw be better starting with a clean sheet?

Might be a harder sell though, if they just brought out a complete new TT. But they've replaced every component bar the bearing, platter, motor and power supply. So there's not a huge amount left of the original box.

Exactly, so why put up with a compromised design. Anyone work out what all that costs, and what alternatives are on the market. Surely very few still believe that the LP12 is the best sounding TT on the market

Linn have pulled of an excellent sleight of hand. They have something many consider to be the best turntable they can buy, without having to verify it is the best sounding! Genius marketing.

Quote Originally Posted by steve195527 View Post
    there is a bit of a review on the linn forum,if like me you are banned if your IP address is fixed you won't be able to get on to view it if it isn't static and your router has reset since your ban you should be able to,they haven't even adopted a more secure way to keep banned ex members off other than ban their IP addy they had when banned,like I have said there before:-pricks lol
    I can read it from my home mail so i have seen the review

/L

Some of us live on it , so it must do something right to sound good and folks buy and upgrade them still after 44 years ......

/L

Exactly, so why put up with a compromised design. Anyone work out what all that costs, and what alternatives are on the market. Surely very few still believe that the LP12 is the best sounding TT on the market
    do you not think any tt or any piece of hi-fi equipment is a compromise? there are loads of tweaks for all sorts of things out there it is just because of the linns popularity/notoriety that they get more press,don't let your dislike of ivor or linn productscloud your view on it,most know it isn't the best sounding or best made but it is prob better than most others

+ Reply to Thread