+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Diamonds are a guys best friend

Default Diamonds are a guys best friend

Around 6 months ago Derek and Ramsey Dunlop told me about a new tweeter they had discovered, a Diamond coned model, I was a bit concerned as any time in the past I'd heard a diamond tweeter in a speaker I pretty much hated it, it was HIFI, spotlit bollocks designed to impress the cloth eared audiophool. A couple of months before xmas I was working around Ayrshire and popped in to the factory for a free coffee.

Whilst there they let me hear a new 2 way floorstander a cheaper speaker for the more mass market, it sounded great. Ramsey said 'while you are here wait let me put this diamond tweeter in one of these floorstanders' to be honest I wasn't too fussed, but he insisted. I'm glad I did, firstly he let me hear 1 of the cheaper versions I'd previously heard as a pair, (the balance control was used to let me hear left or right independently) the little speaker sounded still great, then Ramsey flicked the balance to the other side and the Diamond version (the same except for the tweeter) played....well the difference was immediate, much more open, huge amounts more of detail and resolution, and not only that the diamond tweeter seemed to ad more info to the bass notes too, much more texture, he then flicked balance control to the cheaper tweeter I wasn't quite prepared for what I heard, it sounded like someone had put their hand over the tweeter, this the same speaker which not 30 seconds before had sounded fine.

Fast forward a few weeks and prior to me moving house and they brought a pair of Alnico 12's (current model similar to my own) but with the daimond installed instead, WOW, I wasn't prepared for how good these were, records that I thought i knew well had so much more going on, this wasn't a bright crispy increased detail, if anything the Alnico tweeter was brighter or appeared brighter, nothing stood out, no part of the freq range was drawing attention to itself, but I was grinning like a cheshire cat, diction was clearer, buy mixes where more coherent, it was being like 14 again where the hifi didn't matter, all that was important was the music, sadly for me they took them away again the same day.

Now I have moved house I have 'borrowed' a pair of the Diamond 12's just to decide if i should pony up and retrofit them to my Alnico Refs, within 10 seconds of playing the first record the decision was made, I had to have them, listening them to them over the last few nights (Ive had them since Sunday) every record I have played has been an eye opener, who knew so much info is still in the groove.

These are the purest, most coherent and most resolved sound I have heard from any speaker (and I've heard a few) to me this is a paradigm shift in whats possible with speakers, a game changer if you will, the effortlessness of a horn, the resolution of a panel, the slam of a good box speaker, but better than them all.

The best sounding loudspeakers ever, I dare you to get a dem, but be prepared for life on dialysis as you'll want to sell both kidneys.

Anyone wanting a listen PM me.

Last edited by The Professor; 10th February 2017 at 20:08.

PS for those interested these can be retrofitted to ANY ART speakers with Crescendo tweeter, including Emotions and Decos, not cheap, but I've also heard Deco 20 sigs with Diamond and it's pretty unreal how much better they are than Crescendo version.

I tried going on ARTs website but it directed me to a Canadian Pharmacy. I think they've been hacked.

I'm left just looking these days. Still like good sound but got more important things to do now.
    Do to others as you would have them do to you. (Luke 6:31)

From that time on Jesus began to preach, “Repent, for the kingdom of heaven has come near.” (Matthew 4:17)

Quote Originally Posted by eddie spaghetti View Post
    I tried going on ARTs website but it directed me to a Canadian Pharmacy. I think they've been hacked.
    No trouble getting in from here just now: http://www.loudspeaker-art.com/index...ct-menu-item-6
    (although their website is not the easiest to find with normal searching!)
    You can only be young once, but you can be immature for ever.....

Having heard the 'diamonds' at Paul's on Wednesday evening, I would defy anyone to disagree with his appraisal of the improvement that has come about with the change to these drivers!!!!

Absolutely jaw-droppingly amazing. . . .

Congratulations (again) to Derek and Ramsey.

I'm left just looking these days. Still like good sound but got more important things to do now.
    Sure it's not you that's been hacked?

Quote Originally Posted by The Professor View Post
    Sure it's not you that's been hacked?
    Don't think so. All other websites seem to be working fine.

Btw is the diamond tweeter a drop in replacement or is some fettling of the crossover required?
    Last edited by eddie spaghetti; 10th February 2017 at 23:12.

From that time on Jesus began to preach, “Repent, for the kingdom of heaven has come near.” (Matthew 4:17)

Don't think so. All other websites seem to be working fine.

Btw is the diamond tweeter a drop in replacement or is some fettling of the crossover required?
    only asked because the site was fine for me and WD40 above.

it requires a crossover change Berto, with Decos it's a "back to factory" job.

Quote Originally Posted by WullieD20 View Post
    Having heard the 'diamonds' at Paul's on Wednesday evening, I would defy anyone to disagree with his appraisal of the improvement that has come about with the change to these drivers!!!!

Absolutely jaw-droppingly amazing. . . .

Congratulations (again) to Derek and Ramsey.
    Didn't they 'discover' the tweeter, not invent it?

Is the new 2-way floorstander on their website?
    Last edited by TIU; 11th February 2017 at 01:27.

The 2 way floorstander is still a prototype at the moment.

Do they have anyone in the family to carry the business on?

Quote Originally Posted by TIU View Post
    Didn't they 'discover' the tweeter, not invent it??
    Don't think anyone mentioned anything to do with 'inventing' anything??

only asked because the site was fine for me and WD40 above.

it requires a crossover change Berto, with Decos it's a "back to factory" job.
    When i use a proxy server, the website works so it must be redirecting my i.p. address somehow. Strange.

When i use a proxy server, the website works so it must be redirecting my i.p. address somehow. Strange.
    The problem lies with google and some shit in the back of their website, if you search you get redirected.

To save folk searching it's www.loudspeaker-art.com

The problem lies with google and some shit in the back of their website, if you search you get redirected.

To save folk searching it's www.loudspeaker-art.com
    Ok. Thanks.

Had a look at some diamond tweeters on Google. Don't think it's a diamond tweeter. Might be a magnesium one though. This one maybe?

http://www.seas.no/index.php?option=...ers&Itemid=360

Do you mean the one Art use?

http://www.seas.no/index.php?option=...=50&Itemid=360

Nope it's that one, we'll sort of that's the specs in July last year, they have been tweaked twice since then, the final version is even better, they ain't cheap though, it's a case of....if you have to ask...

In my speaker the Corian surround and guard is removed as the tweeter sits behind the baffle.

Did I say they are fucking awesome?

Can't wait till I can get mine done, saving hard.
    Last edited by The Professor; 16th February 2017 at 01:06.

Reason i thought it was that one is because of the phase plug on the front of the diamond one didn't look like the one above.

Pure diamond tweeter. Probably why its so expensive. I think most other manufacturers only use a diamond coating

+ Reply to Thread