+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Acoustic Research 'The Turntable'. A refurb.

Default Acoustic Research 'The Turntable'. A refurb.

This will get the full treatment of electrical, mechanical and cosmetic work...but still keeping the look of the original.

Lots of pictures for now.

Work done here has been to replace the old wiring/heatshrink on the switch and indicator with new. Remove all the old 'phase shift' components, clean the board and add new parts. Make an isolation pad for the motor (thanks to John for the PII material) and polish the belt pulley surfaces.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by mesavinylnut; 23rd February 2017 at 21:26.

And a few more...

The spindle has been measured at 0.375" all round, so will hopefully just need a polish. New studs, springs, thrust washers and grommets all round and a piece of 'delrin' to replace the horrible MDF arm board.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by mesavinylnut; 23rd February 2017 at 21:29.

Perspective can play tricks on you.

Good luck with the project.
    Attached Images

What springs do you intend to use? Don't chuck the originals if you still have them.

The 'spring kit' came from Vinyl Nirvana in the States, springs are quite a bit stiffer than the originals, already fitted as shown.
    Last edited by mesavinylnut; 24th February 2017 at 16:38.

Perhaps Thorens TD 150 springs would be more in keeping with the "rate" of the originals?

The originals are quite soft. They are also different spring rates with the tonearm spring being stiffer I think.

That makes sense CM. Thorens TD150 springs are "softer" than Linn's, so perhaps a Linn spring in the tonearm position and Thorens elsewhere would make a workable compromise where originals are not available ?

Quote Originally Posted by John R View Post
    That makes sense CM. Thorens TD150 springs are "softer" than Linn's, so perhaps a Linn spring in the tonearm position and Thorens elsewhere would make a workable compromise where originals are not available ?
    Still have the originals, maybe I should revert to these first and see how it sounds?

That's the best way forward in my mind mesa v n.

Yes, I think you have to give it a listen in standard form although I suspect it will be more about the experience of using a softly sprung deck vs. a stiffer presentation. I have had both the AR and a TD125 II both of which were soft. The TD125 originally sold with rubber grommets that enabled you to take the springs out of the equation. Just a reminder that no springs is also an option! Just be patient and try different options.

What's the benefit of a sprung chassis apart from counteracting footfall?

Sold a kit of Linn springs to a guy with an AR TT
    Springs , small gromet and mudguard , its had a good function he says :-)

/L
    Tangerine Audio Stiletto, Plateau, Skorpion, SME V ( D ), Dynavector DRT XV 1S, Chord Signature Tuned Aray, Linn Cirkus, Linn Radikal Klimax, Tranquility
    https://www.linnarts.se

surely the spring rates should be related to the suspended mass and the correct ones(if they have been manufactured with that in mind) are the original AR ones,others will give a resonance frequency that may not block noise from the motor,feedback from the environment and make the tt susceptible to footfalls etc,you can't just throw any rate of spring at any suspended mass and expect it to be perfect,if I remember correctly the oracle came with a variety of springs to be used for various arms on the Delphi to allow the suspension to have the same(near as dammit)resonance frequency with them to ensure optimum performance

The Spring rates have an incredibly subtle effect on sound quality. So much so that it is possible on some decks to defeat the suspension and the gains from doing that far outweigh any perceived losses elsewhere. The TD125 and subsequent 126's came with the option to do that as standard.

When you say defeat Henry, do you mean lock them so they have no spring? This is often a facility to secure the deck for safer transportation. Dual did it with their tts.

The optionals on these was TD 124 mushrooms for the professional use instead of springs

/L
    Tangerine Audio Stiletto, Plateau, Skorpion, SME V ( D ), Dynavector DRT XV 1S, Chord Signature Tuned Aray, Linn Cirkus, Linn Radikal Klimax, Tranquility
    https://www.linnarts.se

Quote Originally Posted by TIU View Post
    When you say defeat Henry, do you mean lock them so they have no spring? This is often a facility to secure the deck for safer transportation. Dual did it with their tts.
    No, the TD125 was a straight replacement for a TD124 so it was intended for DJ and broadcast use as well as domestic use. In its pro guise it was meant to be bolted into a massive console using TD124 like mushrooms. It didn't catch on although I think I am right in saying EMT took elements of the TD126 as the basis for one of their decks.

Quote Originally Posted by TIU View Post
    What's the benefit of a sprung chassis apart from counteracting footfall?
    It's for way more than footfall, play music loud, place hand on plinth, feel vibration, on a rigid deck with a fixed arm board this energy will be transmitted to arm and then cartridge, on my deck I can feel vibration on plinth, but not on platter or armbaord, these vibrations are feedback into cart, amplified and add mush to the sound, so suspension, when done properly is worthwhile.

The new Systemdek came about as I was of the same opinion as you Gary, my previous experience of suspended decks all have compressed springs and usually conical, or the Gyrodek that had suspended springs, but they were conical and too stiff.

Ramsey Dunlop said when done properly springs make a massive difference, and to prove it he built the prototype that became the 3D it used an O/l platter, bearing and motor, but a new spring system, it pissed all over my Clearaudio Champion level II with magnetic ceramic bearing.

The production models also have magnetic oil damped bearing and computer controlled AC motor, sound is sublime.

I can imagine. Thanks for the info Prof.

+ Reply to Thread