+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: matching quality

Quote Originally Posted by The Professor View Post
    We are it seems sitting on the same side of the fence.
    When reading this thread, my thoughts exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by cat's squirrel View Post
    I have been having thoughts about people's attitudes to system matching, not audio matching but quality (price) matching. It started with people putting a 150 - 200 pickup cartridge on a 150 -200 turntable in the vain hope of a 'high end' sound quality. It led me to thinking about quality compatibility (rather than synergy, which I don't believe in, for hifi at least).

For the record (sorry!) I use a 100 turntable, 150 tone arm and 35 cartridge feeding a 100 phono amplifier, into two 300 integrated amplifiers, which drive 1350 loudspeakers. None of the above kit is in stock form, which skews the pricing somewhat. (Vinyl collection, about 6000, conservative evaluation, so a music lover!).

What do people think would be a sensible price point for each component in ANY system, starter to 'high end', of whichever system you have experience. Just a vinyl based system, to start with, please.
    It depends on the item .. for example the arm on the Pioneer P12D was good enough to match a Shure M75ED or V15II/III to whereas a GL75 didn't.

Similarly an old Thorens TD160 TP16 arm is ideally suited to Moving Coils being a massy affair but with great bearings (I used to use a Fidelity Research FR1 MK2 in mine).

A Rega Planar/RB2 with the RB250 arm is capable of extracting the extra detail from a better cartridge (provided the turntable is well mounted on a solid wall shelf).

There are no hard and fast rules .. some cheap stuff was very very good and other stuff was not (same is true of at any price) ... HOWEVER, if the amp you are using (or phono preamp) is inferior then it is perhaps not worth paying a lot of money out on the source (other than the better the turntable arm cartridge combination perhaps the longer your records will stay in pristine condition) ....

The moral of all this is price may not be an indicator of how well a product performs .. the humble QED amplifier is but one great example of high performance for low cost.
    A good earwash may be the cheapest and best upgrade to your system.

+ Reply to Thread