+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Mober Bearing and inner platter for Lp 12 YES.....

Default Mober Bearing and inner platter for Lp 12 YES.....

Here it is :

http://forums.linn.co.uk/bb/showthread.php?tid=36096

Now you can built an Linn Lp 12 without Linn parts....if you want

/L
    Tangerine Audio Stiletto, Plateau, Skorpion, SME V ( D ), Dynavector DRT XV 1S, Chord Signature Tuned Aray, Linn Cirkus, Linn Radikal Klimax, Tranquility
    https://www.linnarts.se

linn fanboys seem not to like it,after all how could any idea that isn't from linn be any good?(and cost a fortune ala other linns other upgrades)

Quote Originally Posted by steve195527 View Post
    linn fanboys seem not to like it,after all how could any idea that isn't from linn be any good?(and cost a fortune ala other linns other upgrades)
    Yes and none have heard it, that explanation of the hydrodynamic tension that only works when loaded, sounds like bullshit to me. The Mober thing certainly spins well, but perhaps a bit over engineered, funny thing is though, the bearing in an LP12 whilst being simple (KISS) is one of the best parts of an LP12, and certainly needs little improvement given it's job, springs are the problem, not the bearing.

Quote Originally Posted by The Professor View Post
    Yes and none have heard it, that explanation of the hydrodynamic tension that only works when loaded, sounds like bullshit to me. The Mober thing certainly spins well, but perhaps a bit over engineered, funny thing is though, the bearing in an LP12 whilst being simple (KISS) is one of the best parts of an LP12, and certainly needs little improvement given it's job, springs are the problem, not the bearing.
    Thats the best thing not heard before = own opinion and not what others think. Becouse something sounds different itīs not have to be bad.
    I do love when folks get neard and do things that is better, certainly not only happends in the TT jungle.
    The spring was a problem from -78 and forward when the heavier arms came. So nearly the hole life of the twelve.
    Do love it anyway even if itīs not much Linn left becouse it have the range of 5000 SEK - 400 000 SEK and fits most of the wallets and even if the wifes dont think the same, so have it a nice WAF.

/L
    Tangerine Audio Stiletto, Plateau, Skorpion, SME V ( D ), Dynavector DRT XV 1S, Chord Signature Tuned Aray, Linn Cirkus, Linn Radikal Klimax, Tranquility
    https://www.linnarts.se

Interesting. the longer running time might be down to how well balanced the platter is, chuck on a Tranquillity for good measure! But you can make an LP12 without any Linn components now so could make a fully no compromise build.

Quote Originally Posted by qube View Post
    Interesting. the longer running time might be down to how well balanced the platter is, chuck on a Tranquillity for good measure! But you can make an LP12 without any Linn components now so could make a fully no compromise build.
    every turntable is made with compromises,the company/designer decides which ones are most acceptable to them based on selling price, production costs and the kind of sound they are aiming at:-accurate as possible or romantic/nice sounding(coloured)

Which companies do you know do that?

Well obviously. If you wanted no compromises at all you'd just use a digital system.

Quote Originally Posted by TIU View Post
    Which companies do you know do that?
    oracle for accuracy and linn for "nice sound" the oracle distributors claimed that for the original Delphi when we sold it
    Last edited by steve195527; 8th March 2017 at 16:49.

even those compromise things, frequency at top end is prob to cut to reproduce all the harmonics correctly,and it isn't a gradual slope off of highs,its a cliff

I don't think analogue record reproduction has the widest frequency range so it's compromised from the word go.?

even those compromise things, frequency at top end is prob to cut to reproduce all the harmonics correctly, and it isn't a gradual slope off of highs,its a cliff
    Not really. It was on CD as they had a 44.1Khz sampling frequency with a frequency range of 20hz to 20khz but that's early 1980's technology, a modern digital system could go as high as you like.

But even so the frequency response of vinyl is much lower as the upper roll off starts at 15Khz and anything below 100hz is mono and the channel separation is also poor as you have the 90-degree system where the original mono system that was adapted for stereo.

Ideally with a digital system you want to sample at 4 times the maximum frequency you want to capture, so for audio you'd want an 80Khz sample frequency but this was a challenge back in 1983! They got around this problem towards the late 80's using oversampling but as with digital video improving resolution over time HD audio is running at 32bit and 192+ Khz sampling frequency so you're massively out of the abilities of the human ear and brain to detect any aliasing or compromises.

The 'warm' sound of analog is just distortion and the non-linear eq curve of the format, it's easy to emulate that and make a digital source sound exactly the same if you so wish.

Quote Originally Posted by TIU View Post
    I don't think analogue record reproduction has the widest frequency range so it's compromised from the word go.?
    it goes far beyond digital,remember the quadrophonic discs?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4eC6L3_k_48

unsure what 'it goes far beyond digital' means but quadraphonic discs were cool, I still have a few of them, however the Pioneer amp I was using wasn't great so I sold it a long time ago, the signal/noise was awful the hiss level was nuts!

Not really. It was on CD as they had a 44.1Khz sampling frequency with a frequency range of 20hz to 20khz but that's early 1980's technology, a modern digital system could go as high as you like.

But even so the frequency response of vinyl is much lower as the upper roll off starts at 15Khz and anything below 100hz is mono and the channel separation is also poor as you have the 90-degree system where the original mono system that was adapted for stereo.

Ideally with a digital system you want to sample at 4 times the maximum frequency you want to capture, so for audio you'd want an 80Khz sample frequency but this was a challenge back in 1983! They got around this problem towards the late 80's using oversampling but as with digital video improving resolution over time HD audio is running at 32bit and 192+ Khz sampling frequency so you're massively out of the abilities of the human ear and brain to detect any aliasing or compromises.

The 'warm' sound of analog is just distortion and the non-linear eq curve of the format, it's easy to emulate that and make a digital source sound exactly the same if you so wish.
    I thought the highest quality normally available was 192khz /32bit?

unsure what 'it goes far beyond digital' means but quadraphonic discs were cool, I still have a few of them, however the Pioneer amp I was using wasn't great so I sold it a long time ago, the signal/noise was awful the hiss level was nuts!
    and you needed a special stylus shape, shibata or similar fitted to an appropriate cartridge,we used to sell a few pickerings specially made for quad playback,fancy stylus and quite a fancy price for the time

I thought the highest quality normally available was 192khz /32bit?
    Yes, it's a bit pointless to go higher as that's way beyond the 'resolution' of the human ear. From a data point of view though it's still tiny so if you wanted to have the perfect digital system you could record at something crazy but other than creating a large data file you're not going to make any difference to what you could hear.

Surely the higher frequencies at 22kHz and above are beyond what we can hear.

it goes far beyond digital,remember the quadrophonic discs?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4eC6L3_k_48
    Why do they choose such crappy music as a demo?

+ Reply to Thread