+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Mober Bearing and inner platter for Lp 12 YES.....

The first commercial CDs pressed were The Visitors by Abba and a recording of Herbert von Karajan conducting the Alpine Symphony by Richard Strauss. Other sources say the first commercial release was Billy Joel's 52nd Street. I don't recall Philips and Sony claiming CDs were perfect. Rather they didn't have vinyl's drawbacks, such as pop and crackle etc.

Quote Originally Posted by TIU View Post
    The first commercial CDs pressed were The Visitors by Abba and a recording of Herbert von Karajan conducting the Alpine Symphony by Richard Strauss. Other sources say the first commercial release was Billy Joel's 52nd Street. I don't recall Philips and Sony claiming CDs were perfect. Rather they didn't have vinyl's drawbacks, such as pop and crackle etc.

cd's were claimed to be perfect not only by Sony and Philips,who jointly developed the playback for home use(and the sample rate etc) but also by others,prob most notably from the british point of view,Tomorrows World who made all sorts of claims(put forward by sony and Philips)including that the error correction built into the playback would totally stop skipping,sticking etc and even play a disc with large holes drilled through them and smeared with stuff akin to jam on them,don't you remember that?

I remember it was the media that started that nonsense. The manufacturers tried to defend the wild claims.

Can you find any evidence of what you claim happened?

Here's one old clip but it doesn't say who made the claim.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiOF...ature=youtu.be
    Last edited by TIU; 12th March 2017 at 10:03.

Back on track or
    Tangerine Audio Stiletto, Plateau, Skorpion, SME V ( D ), Dynavector DRT XV 1S, Linn Cirkus, Linn Radikal Klimax.
    https://www.linnarts.se

Sorry /L, thanks for bearing with us.

Indeed / L, I think it just goes to show that Linn rely do not have the search for perfection foremost in their mind and that their customers are simply a cash cow..

Good to see Edmond having the foresight an tenacity to show he can do better than Linn with their LP12 inner platter but I feel he may have gone awol with his bearing - rolling elements can add noise which is why many continue with bushes of various materials. However considering the very low rotational speed he may just get way with it, but I feel it's too complex to be viable.

I have looked into designing an alternative LP12 bearing myself, but Linn has us small folk beaten in that area. Theirs is cheap to make - of simple construction and it does the job well plus I guess it provides them with a small profit on each unit that they sell.
    Last edited by John R; 12th March 2017 at 10:41.

One of the best sounding CDs I have is Communique by Dire Straits. It was the first CD I bought at the time the format was new. What did they get right then which perhaps they don't now?
    its dynamic compression.

when CD's were a new format hi-fi's were still quite large so they generally presented the music as is. However as people now listen to music on laptop or phone speakers or those small earphones then the music will be far too quiet to hear, so they make heavy use of dynamic compression to boost the volume and narrow the dynamic range.

This makes everything as loud as possible which is great for those little speakers but if you play those recordings on a proper hi-fi then all that detail and subtly that was originally there is lost and they just sound distorted.

Look at these two waveforms of the same piece of music, the top one is from an 80's CD release and the bottom from a 2016 remaster:

If you go find yourself a remaster of Communique I'd be 100% confident it'll have had the same treatment and will sound inferior to your original CD.

Ok, thanks for that info qubey.

Quote Originally Posted by qube View Post
    its dynamic compression.

when CD's were a new format hi-fi's were still quite large so they generally presented the music as is. However as people now listen to music on laptop or phone speakers or those small earphones then the music will be far too quiet to hear, so they make heavy use of dynamic compression to boost the volume and narrow the dynamic range.

This makes everything as loud as possible which is great for those little speakers but if you play those recordings on a proper hi-fi then all that detail and subtly that was originally there is lost and they just sound distorted.

Look at these two waveforms of the same piece of music, the top one is from an 80's CD release and the bottom from a 2016 remaster:

If you go find yourself a remaster of Communique I'd be 100% confident it'll have had the same treatment and will sound inferior to your original CD.
    same thing radio stations have been doing for years(not radio 2 though,not sure about other bbc stations as don't listen to them)

All radio stations squash the sound massively, but they're squashing an already pretty squashed source

They have a bearing on how we hear music unfamiliar to us.

(I'm doing my best /L )

Sorry /L, thanks for bearing with us.
    Tangerine Audio Stiletto, Plateau, Skorpion, SME V ( D ), Dynavector DRT XV 1S, Linn Cirkus, Linn Radikal Klimax.

They have a bearing on how we hear music unfamiliar to us.

(I'm doing my best /L )

I wonder if instead of ballraces he had used oilites would that have been better received,pretty difficult stuff to machine but has name indicates it is self lubricating,not sure how it compares friction wise with the current plastic they use but if spin time is important to some it may be better,wouldn't have thought from a mechanical integrity/rigidity point of view ballraces are the way to go(unless very very expensive ones)

Yes maybe, in younger days i machined bearings to my AR XB on that time in oilites ( JM 1 ) I did one in this mtrl and one in delrine , and my choise fall on the delrine one and it sounded best and has the best function, had many AR XB and an XA but they all was put in a box and I give it away. Was worth nothing these days.
    Maybe itīs not the right way to go, but il think in another built Lp 12 I do in the future who knows i will possibly test it and i know itīs trade price is the half of an Cirkus bearing from Linn.

/L

+ Reply to Thread