+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pre amps with two outpits

Default Pre amps with two outpits

My Glasshouse TVC pre amp has two sets of RCA output sockets. There is no switch on the preamp to switch between sockets. Am I to assume therefore that both sets of outputs get fed the exact same signal so that you could in theory connect two different power amps to the same preamp?

Whilst I have owned the Glasshouse for donkeys years the question has only just occurred to me so thought I would ask rather than just trying it with potentially dire consequences.
    Garrard 301 with SME 3012, Garrard 401 with PU7 both in slate plinths, Puresound P10, Highphonics SUT, Glasshouse TVC Passive Pre, Bel Canto Set 40 (845 power amp), Tannoy GRF Memory`s

On all the preamps I've seen over the years Andy, if they don't have a switch then both outputs are identical, occasionally there may be one variable out and one fixed Line out, but they are usually labelled differently if no switch. Be careful if you plan to run 2 poweramps their input sensitivities need to be the same if you aren't to have volume issues (assuming you are using for biamping one pair of speakers (alternatively one of your poweramps needs to have variable input/volume trim pot)

Thanks Prof - so effectively the output cable has a "Y" cable internally.

I understand what your saying, my intention is for convenience to use a pair of power amps connected to the same preamp and speakers (Using one of Beresfords speaker switch things) so I can evaluate a fairly powerful SS poweramp against a less powerful SET poweramp on my Tannoys which I suspect need a few more watts up them. There will be no hot swapping going on, and I will double check that both outputs are variable via the volume control using a pair of cheap disposable speakers before risking it on my tannoys

Cheers for the reply

Andy
    Garrard 301 with SME 3012, Garrard 401 with PU7 both in slate plinths, Puresound P10, Highphonics SUT, Glasshouse TVC Passive Pre, Bel Canto Set 40 (845 power amp), Tannoy GRF Memory`s

Quote Originally Posted by Andy831 View Post
    and I will double check that both outputs are variable via the volume control using a pair of cheap disposable speakers before risking it on my tannoys
    It's good of the Prof to lend you his speakers.

LOL get on you daft bugger

Was that a kit built Glasshouse Andy? (I'm assuming you didn't build it or you wouldn't have asked the question) If so it would be a good idea to use something cheap you never know how the builder wired it, if it was a glasshouse build and they both say pre out then your proabably ok.

What you get in grunt from a decent SS amp you'll loose in finesse and Timbre that you get with a 300b, have you considered a more powerful s/e amp, perhaps 845’s or 211’s or even a paralleled 300b with 2 tubes per channel? That should give you the grunt in the bottom end (8 watts of 300b sound magic to me but I csn't live with the loose bass, I'm not sure if it's a power thing, or just how s/e 300b's are)

I've always said I'd like a 300b for a second amp, but not for my forever amp, have you heard EAR509’s? To these ears the best compromise of all, SS grunt, valve finesse, I'm running. A pair of 1979 vintage still with original tubes, and they sound magic, cheap too if you if you can find an old pair, new they are over 10k, better aesthetics and built in bias, but sound identical to older ones, the only problem is most who have them keep them.

The Glasshouse TVC pre was a Glasshouse build.

I need to update my signature line Paul the Glasshouse 300b has been sold and replaced with an 845 set amp (bel canto set40) giving about 35 watts. The SS power amp is 140 watts. Speakers are nominally 8 ohm with about a
    94db sensitivity. Your spot on with your description of the 300B that's exactly how it sounded on my Tannoys.

I have not knowingly heard Ear 509s but I have read about them and know their reputation, I have heard other TD'P Designed amps and have always enjoyed them.

+ Reply to Thread