+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Turntables that you had from then to now.

Default Turntables that you had from then to now.

TT s that i had :
    Technics 1410 , pickering
    Systemdek IIX , Hadcock 228 , Goldring 1020
    Thorens 160 , Ortofon OM 20
    Thorens 166 , Ortofon OM 20
    AR XA
    AR XB
    Pioneer PL 12 , AT 95 E
    Super Oak , Forsell Airborn , Sumiko Blue Point
    VPI HW 19 Mk III , Forsell Airborn , DL 304
    Linn Lp 12 , Rega 250, Benz Gold
    Linn Lp 12 , Linn LV II B Mk II , Linn Karma
    Linn Lp 12 , Hadcock 228 , AT 95 E
    Linn Lp 12 , Hadcock 228
    Linn Lp 12 , Hadcock 228
    Linn Lp 12 , Jelco 750 , AT 440 ML a
    Linn Lp 12 , SME V , AT 33 SA
    Linn Lp 12 , SME 309 , AT 150MLX
    Linn Lp 12 , SME 3009 S III B , AT 95 SA ( SH )
    Linn Lp 12 , SME 3009 R , Ortofon Rohmann
    Kenwood L 07 D , Ortofon Rohmann

Now:
    Tangerine Audio Stiletto , SME V (D), Dynavector DRT XV 1S
    Optonica RP-114 VL B ( Garage )

/L
    Tangerine Audio Stiletto, Plateau, Skorpion, SME V ( D ), Dynavector DRT XV 1S, Linn Cirkus, Linn Radikal Klimax.
    https://www.linnarts.se

From 1971,

BSR MP60, Shure M55E
    Pioneer PL12D, Shure M75ED
    Garrard 301, SME 3012, M75ED, Stanton 680ee
    Ariston RD80, Mission 774LC, Ortofon FF15e
    Linn Axis, Akito, Ortofon 520, Ortofon MC25FL
    Clearaudio Emotion, AT OC9II
    Inspire LP12, PU7, Tiger Paw Khan, Mose Herulees, Various cartridges inc. Transig axis, AT ART9. Still have this.
    Garrard 401, Lorricraft skelital plinth, Jelco 750DB, ART9, OC9II, Ortofon Quintet mono. Currently in use.
    Anthony.

garrard ap76
    ar xa
    ariston rd11(one of the ones made by castle!)with acos lustre arm
    trancriptors(may have been a michell can't be sure)hydraulic ref:-looked good sounded crap compared to ar and ariston!(got shut after about 2 months!)
    LP12 sme 3009(sold to friend:-he still has it) that was one of the first sold as lp12 after they started marketing it as such(prob made with parts originally earmarked for rd11's)
    Lp12 sme 3009(sold to different friend,he also still has it)
    LP12 grace 707,supex sd900
    LP12 Ittok ,supex sd900(then asak,then garrot decca,then pickering xlz 7500(fantastic cartridge!)then van den hul mc one special(present cart)
    worked for dealer who sold lp12's so used to get excellent deals on them,and upgraded if one of my mates wanted one of current spec I had:-sold them mine!
    Last edited by steve195527; 25th March 2017 at 16:11.

Blog Entries

Garrard AP76 (new) (sold to a friend)
    Thorens TD150 Mk11 (new) SME 3009 (new)

Michell Focus 1 SME 3009 modified by me

Lenco GL75 modded plinth Rega 250 arm
    Lenco L75 modded plinth, linear tracking arm (to be finished)
    Lenco G99 highly modded plinth Rega 300 arm
    Lenco GL69 Linn Basik+ arm
    Lenco GL72 highly modified
    Lenco GL78 Japanese arm, auto lift
    Lenco GL85 (gave away)
    Lenco GL59/ Lenco70 arm

Lenco GL55 (one previous family owner) in a garage!

all Lenco's second hand.
    Last edited by cat's squirrel; 25th March 2017 at 21:34.
    cheers.....Bryan

http://qualia.webs.com/

Good god. I'm just a novice.

Roksan Xerxes
    Roksan Xerxes 20
    Thorens Phantasie
    Systemdek 3D Ref
    20 years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please God, don't take Kevin Bacon

Never owned a large number of them either...over all my years.

Garrard AP76
    Garrard SL95B
    Garrard SP25 (numerous o' them for different reasons)
    Rotel RP3000 (DD) / SME 3009 MkII
    Linn LP 12 (Numerous different mod's over nearly 30 years!) / Zeta
    Systemdek 3D Signature / AO PU7 12"
    Garrard 401 / Jelco SA-750LB 12" / Well Tempered Labs LTD 12"
    Last edited by WullieD20; 27th March 2017 at 19:29.
    You can only be young once, but you can be immature for ever.....

Neither have I G.

Dual CS505
    Project
    Rega Planar 3
    Sony PS6750
    Modded Lenco GL69

Amstrad TP12 Shure M55e then Goldring G800.
    Garrard DD130 Think I had a Grado on this one.
    Townshend Elite Rock II - still use this one. came with an RB250 and DL110 - now has RB300 and AT-OC9/III
    JVC JL A1
    Rega Planar 3 - Still have this one.
    Luxman PD264 - still use this one. Hadcock GH228 and Shure V15 III with Jico neo SAS stylus.
    I have a Rock and I'm not afraid to use it.

1973 Garrard SP25 wtth AT11E cartridge
    1974 Thorens TD160 with Shure M75ED then Ortofon VMS20E then Fidelity Research FR1 MK2
    1980 Systemdek III heavyweight with AT1100 arm and Garrot Decca Gold .. rebuilt since by Expert an number of times .. there rework was better than the Garrot.
    1990 Systemek IV with Mission 774 and Decca Gold (Expert rebuilt)
    A good earwash may be the cheapest and best upgrade to your system.

Quote Originally Posted by uzzy View Post
    1973 Garrard SP25 wtth AT11E cartridge
    1974 Thorens TD160 with Shure M75ED then Ortofon VMS20E then Fidelity Research FR1 MK2
    1980 Systemdek III heavyweight with AT1100 arm and Garrot Decca Gold .. rebuilt since by Expert an number of times .. there rework was better than the Garrot.
    1990 Systemek IV with Mission 774 and Decca Gold (Expert rebuilt)
    not sue if esc reworked better than garrot,never compared the two,did you or are you just showing a preference to what you bought>
    the garrot brothers actually worked for whyndam at esc before returning to Australia and starting their own business,baught my cart through parabolic stylus company,a company rune by max townend(along with elite) before he started doing turntables
    esc don't(or didn't) rebuild londons,they used to send them to a firm run by the guy who originally worked for decca developing them,can't remember his or the companies name though,whyndam told me this

04:42 Steve?

Quote Originally Posted by steve195527 View Post
    not sue if esc reworked better than garrot,never compared the two,did you or are you just showing a preference to what you bought>
    the garrot brothers actually worked for whyndam at esc before returning to Australia and starting their own business,baught my cart through parabolic stylus company,a company rune by max townend(along with elite) before he started doing turntables
    esc don't(or didn't) rebuild londons,they used to send them to a firm run by the guy who originally worked for decca developing them,can't remember his or the companies name though,whyndam told me this
    I did compare the two and the Expert was better. However, as they say no two Deccas are the same so the differences could have been that of the cartdidge not the end result of the rebuild. Expert do their own rebuilds they do not send them to John Wright as far as I am aware. And yes the Garrot brothers learned their trade at Expert. Another thing I love about Expert is both Mr Hodgson Senior and Mr Hodgson junior are both extremely nice gentlemen to deal with (so to is Mr John Wright) ..

I am going to be sending my spare to John Wright (the man who makes all the London Cartridges) for a rebuild eventually and when I do I will post a review comparing the two.
    Last edited by uzzy; 25th May 2017 at 13:19. Reason: additional data

I did compare the two and the Expert was better. However, as they say no two Deccas are the same so the differences could have been that of the cartdidge not the end result of the rebuild. Expert do their own rebuilds they do not send them to John Wright as far as I am aware. And yes the Garrot brothers learned their trade at Expert. Another thing I love about Expert is both Mr Hodgson Senior and Mr Hodgson junior are both extremely nice gentlemen to deal with (so to is Mr John Wright) ..

I am going to be sending my spare to John Wright (the man who makes all the London Cartridges) for a rebuild eventually and when I do I will post a review comparing the two.
    I wanted to send my garrot to esc and mr hodgson senior told me they didn't work on deccas any longer and yes he directed me to john wright,may have been at the time they were snowed under with other work,John wright and hodgson senior must have worked together at some point in developing the London carts because Whyndom told me it was him who developed the method of securing the stylus to the "non cantilever" maybe he should have shared that knowledge with twins

Quote Originally Posted by steve195527 View Post
    I wanted to send my garrot to esc and mr hodgson senior told me they didn't work on deccas any longer and yes he directed me to john wright,may have been at the time they were snowed under with other work,John wright and hodgson senior must have worked together at some point in developing the London carts because Whyndom told me it was him who developed the method of securing the stylus to the "non cantilever" maybe he should have shared that knowledge with twins
    How weird .. I knew Mr Hodgson Senior from the late 70s - he rebuilt my Garrot when I managed to knock the stylus off it in 1979/80 and we met twice at hifi shows (what a lovely gentleman he is) .. I have had two subsequent rebuilds since the last one I dealt with Mr Hodgson Junior .. I never realised they sent items to John to work on but if they did isn't it nice to see companies working together in harmony. I think that Expert were involved in lots of developments and I think they did work for Shure as well. However, they are diamond experts and do all sorts of diamond cutting machinery and tools too I am led to believe. Fascinating stuff

How weird .. I knew Mr Hodgson Senior from the late 70s - he rebuilt my Garrot when I managed to knock the stylus off it in 1979/80 and we met twice at hifi shows (what a lovely gentleman he is) .. I have had two subsequent rebuilds since the last one I dealt with Mr Hodgson Junior .. I never realised they sent items to John to work on but if they did isn't it nice to see companies working together in harmony. I think that Expert were involved in lots of developments and I think they did work for Shure as well. However, they are diamond experts and do all sorts of diamond cutting machinery and tools too I am led to believe. Fascinating stuff
    shure wanted esc to start manufacturing the genuine replacement styli for the v15 5 mxr/xmr?(whatever designation)when the original manufacturer had to cease due to restrictions placed on working with beryllium in that country(think they were made in japan,even though most carts were then assembled in mexico,I have a vague memory on that being correct)what shure didn't realise was the same restrictions(ie banned from use) applied in the uk as well,or they were hoping to get round it!!

+ Reply to Thread