+ Reply to Thread

Thread: If it's allowed, CD Players that you had...

Default If it's allowed, CD Players that you had...

Players that i had :
    Philips CD 104
    Philips CD 204
    Philips CD 304
    Philips CD 207 Grey
    Philips CD 960
    Pioneer PD 91
    Audio Alchemy DDT, DDC, DTI, DDE V 1.0
    Krell MD 1 , REF 64
    Krell KPS 25 S
    Krell KPS 25 SC

Now: Only Vinyl....
    Tangerine Audio Stiletto, Plateau, Skorpion, SME V ( D ), Dynavector DRT XV 1S, Chord Signature Tuned Aray, Linn Cirkus, Linn Radikal Klimax, Tranquility
    https://www.linnarts.se

only ever bought one for home use(for my wife to use) a B&O cdx:-cos it looked good and prob sounded as good as any of the others at the time,I have only ever listened to CD in the car(because found my linn jumped to much on winding roads)
    Last edited by steve195527; 29th March 2017 at 17:53.

Some Yamaha thing "Natural Sound" from the late 80's.
    Naim CD 3.5
    Audio Note DAC 2.1X Sig and CDT One
    Marantz SA7-S1
    20 years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please God, don't take Kevin Bacon

Trio DP-850
    Denon DCD685
    Pioneer Reference C-73
    Pioneer PD-S801
    Denon UCD-F88 (second system)

Marantz CD63 KI Sig
    California Audio Labs CL15 (current) totally dual mono design

I had a couple of real basic ones before these plus a couple of diskman type beasties.
    I have a Rock and I'm not afraid to use it.

Arcam CD7SE
    Marantz CD63KI Sig

Best of all is a Marantz CD 73 with the Phillips CDM0 transport and Rondenstock laser - the transport is built like a tank and that laser lasts for a very long time indeed. Quite analogue in its presentation too.
    Last edited by John R; 1st April 2017 at 10:45.

Blog Entries

Cambridge Audio 640C. Got rave reviews, for what that's worth.

Haven't turned it on in five years (since getting the Lenco's going!). Now only use cd's in the car/van/ambulance.
    cheers.....Bryan

http://qualia.webs.com/

I had a couple of NAD ones. They were OK, nothing special but they were my first CD players, at the time I liked them but they did seem a bit cheap and weren't fantastically reliable.
    Marantz CD63mk2 KI SIG. I think everyone had one of these, liked it a lot, very solid machine, sold it to my brother, he still uses it.
    Pioneer DV37, it was a DVD player but played CD's well. TBH I thought it played CD's as well as the Marantz, had this mode called 'Legato Link' which smoothed out the top end by using a DSP to create artificial harmonics, was cheating but seemed to work, an early version of upscaling.
    Pioneer DV757A, another DVD player but did SACD & DVD-A too. It was great with the HD stuff (where I could find it) but was less good at playing CD's.
    I sold that as I wanted a BD player. I've had a few but none have played CD's very well.
    Ended up with a Marantz CD17 KISig which is a nice solid machine again and sounds great if I recall but it's yonks since I really used it. I did try it the other day to see how my LP12 compared as I'd bought a new record and it came with the album on CD as well, the record still sounded miles better, would need to compare it to an 80's or 90's CD before they started compressing the life out of them to really know for sure.
    Most of my home digital listening is done via a Pioneer N50A streamer or via a Focusrite I/O to some active monitors (sounds better than the Pioneer but less practical).

Blog Entries

I had a Shanling Omega Drive for a while. mainly I listen to a Tascam CD CDRW4U. I've also got a Micromega which I rarely use.
    To be honest, I've found any difference very slight between the different players anyway. Yes the Shanling was better than the Tascam but at 4000% the price it was only maybe 15% 'better'.
    I've also had a Marantz CD46 for a while but the vacuum display has faded.
    Generally now any CDs I buy get ripped to lossless and converted to mp3 if I'm going to put them on my phone for earphone listening when I'm out.
    "It's ok your comments are noted, so if you want a war you've got one. Watch your back, ya !!!!...." in an email from Marco 3/4/09

Huh.

Sony Discman into Rega clamshell Brio - this was my move away from cassettes...
    Then quite soon after one of those pioneer jobs where the CD is upside down. I think they were considered decent because Trichord used them as a basis for upgrades.
    And then Arcam Alpha 7 which is still with me now and to be honest has not been used for probably 2 years at least.

Quote Originally Posted by ahabec View Post
    Then quite soon after one of those pioneer jobs where the CD is upside down.
    I have one of those. I keep placing discs upside down in other players too and then wonder why it doesn't play.

Quote Originally Posted by TIU View Post
    I have one of those. I keep placing discs upside down in other players too and then wonder why it doesn't play.
    Do they even have digital out? because I remember at the time what upgrade companies did (I think Trichord were not the only ones) was basically leave the transport alone and redesign the DAC. So if they have digital out they may make good transports.

I have the PD-S801 and it has digital out but I feel no need to use another dac.

IDK how many Pioneers used that turntable transport, I honestly don't remember which one I had. I remember preferring the Arcam and thinking at the time that I would save for the upgraded DACs but never did and it was left as is.

And then I remember taking home the Arcam CD73 and A/B'ing against my own Alpha 7 and thinking what did they change apart from the case?

I have a smaller cdp in my second system, a Denon UCD-F88. Not sure I'd hear much difference between it and the Pioneer; it's just CD.

+ Reply to Thread