+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Comparing three expensive turntables

Default Comparing three expensive turntables

How do these compare to the Systemdeck 3D? They are tts I can only dream of owning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbPDjxZyK68

No idea, but if pushed, I'd say I preferred the second demo - on my crappy laptop speakers.
    20 years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please God, don't take Kevin Bacon

That jazz record doesn't appear to be available to buy anywhere. Of course they would choose that to play.

Quote Originally Posted by TIU View Post
    How do these compare to the Systemdeck 3D? They are tts I can only dream of owning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbPDjxZyK68

No idea, especially as it's from a compressed file recorded by a video mic, besides what are we comparing, TT, Arm, Cart, amps, speakers room?

Now I have 3D reference i don't covet any TT at the level I'm at the differences are just that different, hard to quantify 'better'

They all sound exactly the same to me. Someone made a comment about the pitch being incorrect on all three, yet they are computer controlled.

Anyone judging that by the video is a plonker, some of the comments are hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by The Professor View Post
    Anyone judging that by the video is a plonker, some of the comments are hilarious.
    the sound quality will be mainly dictated by the weakest in the chain,in this case the pc used to view the results,how many will be connected to speakers good enough to hear the small differences between high end decks,also does anybody know what quality the sound on the vid was recorded at?

This is why folk putting up videos of their amazing new speakers, amplifier, etc is almost pointless.

Do they sounds good ,maybe ....
    Becouse they are expensive yes maybe
    I do love the Swedish one .....

/L
    Tangerine Audio Stiletto, Plateau, Skorpion, SME V ( D ), Dynavector DRT XV 1S, Chord Signature Tuned Aray, Linn Cirkus, Linn Radikal Klimax, Tranquility
    https://www.linnarts.se

Which Swedish one? The last tt has a Swedish arm but the tt is a collaboration and built in Bulgaria.

Yepp the Swedish ARM i loved most.
    Tangerine Audio Stiletto, Plateau, Skorpion, SME V ( D ), Dynavector DRT XV 1S, Chord Signature Tuned Aray, Linn Cirkus, Linn Radikal Klimax, Tranquility
    https://www.linnarts.se

I think I preferred no.2 though only listening with headphones from the laptop.

Quote Originally Posted by TIU View Post
    This is why folk putting up videos of their amazing new speakers, amplifier, etc is almost pointless.
    It is more than possible to do a better job but then the owners would need to pay royalties.

Quote Originally Posted by Cable Monkey View Post
    It is more than possible to do a better job but then the owners would need to pay royalties.
    that still wouldn't improve the quality of most systems the replay is listened to on,most speakers attached to pc's and laptops are dire

Quote Originally Posted by steve195527 View Post
    that still wouldn't improve the quality of most systems the replay is listened to on,most speakers attached to pc's and laptops are dire
    Notwithstanding that most video mics are not the same quality as a mic used to record music, then and of course nowadays it's often lossy, and that's before Youtubes compression, if you listen to all 3 using high quality playback you may be able to tell the TT's apart but you'll have a poor facsimile of what they heard when recording them.

I would be very very surprised if they come close to the 3D .. I wouldn't swap my Systemdek IV for any of em
    A good earwash may be the cheapest and best upgrade to your system.

Quote Originally Posted by uzzy View Post
    I would be very very surprised if they come close to the 3D .. I wouldn't swap my Systemdek IV for any of em
    isn't that a bit like making up your mind before even listening to alternatives?

No that's politics.

Quote Originally Posted by steve195527 View Post
    isn't that a bit like making up your mind before even listening to alternatives?
    Well I guess but with reason - Hifi News reviewed all the top decks in the 70s (Oracle and Lux vacuum included) they concluded the Systemdek III was the finest sounding .. then perhaps the add money went a bit crazy cos they published all sorts of retractions and explanations .. anyway I was selling the stuff at the time and concluded the same as the original result (though the Lux vacuum was also superb). From trying and playing with loads of decks there are three things that have to be there for me (assuming speed stability and a silent bearing as a must) - first a suspended subchassis where the springs are stretched not compressed (initially done by Pink and Logic). Second a rigid subchassis with rigid arm mount and third loads of mass in the turntable platter. The 3D covers all these points and so why mess about with anything else (except the Precision). besides covering all the bases they have a superb bearing and speed control ... if I had the money I would buy one but I don't but I would be happy to put the old Systemdek IV up against them all as performance is a law of diminishing returns so I whilst they may be better than the IV you then have to ask is it 000s better ...
    A good earwash may be the cheapest and best upgrade to your system.

of the decks you mention we found the oracle to be the best of the ones we sold,we didn't ever sell the lux vac decks though,it just sounded better than the others,the systemdek included(may not have been the mk3 though:-can't remember) we also preferred lecson amps to the much praised naims,like the oracle they just sounded better,I used to gert Hi-fi news and rr review in the 70's but can't remember the review you're talking about to be honest,but then again most reviews around then(and for ever) talked bollocks,it was more about revenue from ads in the mag than being truthful,anybody remember the spat between pioneer and audio t,where audio t questioned the review of a 9100 amp,saying it measured well but sounded crap,pioneer retorted saying audio t didn't know what they were talking about,aduio t challenged pioneer to a blind panel test involving their amp and other amps of audio ts choice up to the same price,with the results published in one of the full page ads audio t used to run,poineer declined!,the amp had a great mag review due to money talking!

+ Reply to Thread