+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: who's your money going on?

Fugly. Has this one been drilled through?

395757-original_mission_774_tonearm.jpg

christ that is ugly!
    the mounting distance is 215.4 and alignment is done by moving the arm tube back and forth,one benefit of drilling right through the head stock is that it gives you a bit more of a twist on the cartridge for alignment

Quote Originally Posted by karma67 View Post
    christ that is ugly!
    Ugly? . . Ugly????

THAT is a technical (and optical) abomination. . .I'd be embarrassed to let anyone see that if it were on my kit...hope it doesn't belong to anyone in here?

(and it'd better sound an awful lot better than it looks!!)
    You can only be young once, but you can be immature for ever.....

I heard that's you when you sing.

Quote Originally Posted by WullieD20 View Post
    Ugly? . . Ugly????

THAT is a technical (and optical) abomination. . .I'd be embarrassed to let anyone see that if it were on my kit...hope it doesn't belong to anyone in here?

(and it'd better sound an awful lot better than it looks!!)
    you never know:-that may be a supex 900,which was pretty low compliance,the long,ugly bolts may have been an attempt to increase the effective mass of the arm/cart combination to get the resonance frequency closer to the ideal,my 900 came with a lead shim the same shape as the cart body when viewed from above,that may not have been usable with the mission arm and its block rather than a full size headshell, sometimes things do look ugly but are like that for a reason,I use a DNM pre amp which I actually think looks like its knocked together in somebody's garden shed,but for sound I wouldn't change it for anything else I have ever laid ears on(not listened to stuff that you need to be a millionaire to own!)
    Last edited by steve195527; 11th April 2017 at 18:56.

Quote Originally Posted by TIU View Post
    I heard that's you when you sing.
    Sing? Yep, you don't wanna hear me sing. . .

And Steve.... Couldn't agree more with your comments; I nearly made the point on most of them myself. . . . but it's still an abomination...

a question for mr j7 or anyone else that knows,whats the standard wiring like on the mission arm compared to the cardas incognito wiring on the alphason?
    is it worth changing out for a fairer comparison?

well ive done the tonearm board and mocked up the tonearm,one thing ive noticed is there's not enough room for the mounting plate to follow a straight line to the spindle,so the plate will have to go where it is in the photo,do you think it matters?

A straight line from where?

Quote Originally Posted by karma67 View Post
    well ive done the tonearm board and mocked up the tonearm,one thing ive noticed is there's not enough room for the mounting plate to follow a straight line to the spindle,so the plate will have to go where it is in the photo,do you think it matters?
    Nope, doesn't matter a jot.

Everything about setting up an arm and cartridge is, to some extent, an 'approximation'. However one of the spec's that virtually all manufacturers provide and expect their arms to be set up on is the spindle to pivot distance, which is the strraight line you're referring to, I presume. The angle or position of the mounting plate itself is superfluous and as long as you get the straight line pivot to spindle distance as close as you can everything will be fine.

Most SME base plates are in line with that S to P line, but if your geomentry dictates that it sits in line with the base board (fore and aft), I wouldn't worry at all..... (Probably why most OEMs provide a smaller footprint round arm base?).

G.

There once was an ugly duckling...............

Today i have got the Mission 774 set up and running,i can confidently say without doubt that the Alphason hr-100mcs is well in front,now this could be down to the stock tonearm wire and cable on the mission but it just lacks the detail and airy tone of the Alphason.

You could say and im sure its been said a few times before that its like listening with a cloth over the speakers.
    its all there but blunt.

To make sure i tried Baerwald and Stevenson alignment and it didn't make any difference,i also tried the small damping paddle too.
    One other thing that bugs me is due to the small headstock area the 2m black doesn't sit parallel to the tonearm which makes setting vta a bit of a pain,the tonearm wand is tail up where's the cartridge is tail down!

So on my turntable its round 1 to the Alphason!

The question is do i re-wire the Mission?

Last edited by karma67; 16th April 2017 at 12:57.

another day and a fresh mind!
    some more tweaking yesterday and some re-dressing of the arm wand wire has improved the sound alot,its got some of that airiness back, got to make up my mind what type and where to get some new wire .for the time being though the Alphason is going back on!

is anyone bored yet??

Back on with the Alphason HR-100.....ah bliss.

Im happy again,there's just no contest,yes i could re-wire the 774 and that might bring it up to the same playing field but then whats the point? Im already there with the Alphason,it was an itch i wanted to scratch.
    With me looks come into it as well,the 2m black just doesn't look right to me sat under the block,again it looks so much better on the HR-100.

I think we all know the 774 is a good arm,this is my 3rd!,perhaps its a synergy thing? compliance? or just that the Alphason is better? who knows? ive tried it and on my tt with my cartridge and its not a good match.what i didn't expect was difference to be that much to be honest,i dont remember the last 2 sounding that flat for want of a better word but then i didnt have the hr-100 then,i only had my ittok for comparison.

some photos to compare

Last edited by karma67; 18th April 2017 at 17:54.

Ah! That's much better!!

Looks like itīs made for the TT
    Go for this !

/L
    NO ONE : Tangerine Audio Stiletto, Plateau, Skorpion, SME V ( D ), DV DRT XV 1S, Chord Sign Tuned Aray, Cirkus, Radikal Klimax, Tranquility.
    NO LINN : Woodsong, PEEK, SSP 12, AI bobbin https://www.linnarts.se

I always preferred the mission,but that was when both were new,the bearings on the Alphason always felt/seemed poor in comparison:-has the sorbothane in the counterweight gone hard on the mission?when new it always seemed to let the weight droop slightly as it was so compliant the one in pics looks very rigid/straight,if it has it will have a massive effect on the sound as the decoupling will be none existent and will make the arm/combination sound dull/muddy

no mate,its still very supple, and in true hifi madness ive decided to re-wire it lol

well i just couldn't let it go lol
    i re-wired the mission today,not up to J7's standard im sure for a first effort im happy.
    i started with the silver wire but after cutting into 4 lengths 1 didnt have continuity so i ditched that and went with the copper litz.
    soldered all the tags first then fished the wires through with a guitar string.
    i didn't go for a heavy braid,just a few twists.

just to end this long drawn out saga,i once again rewired the 774 but this time i used silver ,it did make a smalll difference and i felt happy.
    after a few days of getting used to it i fitted the alphason back on to compare.absolutely no contest,it just couldn't beat the alphason for top end clarity and detail so it was sold on with no regrets.

as luck would have it the funds from the sale bought me this lovely townsend elite rock 2 turntable that had been in the loft since 87!
    the alphason now resides very happily on it ,its a killer combination

+ Reply to Thread