+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Reevaluating the Xerxes

Blog Entries

I can't stress enough that the xerxes is for my second system. My main deck - Gyro/Orbe with Roksan Artemiz and transfiguration Aria is not something that I want to change. It's a completely different design philosophy - coupling the record to the platter and decoupling the motor as far as possible, inverted bearing.
    The Roksan seems to have less emphasis on decoupling - bar the record from the platter. The reason seems to be the ringing aluminium platter to my mind is a major design flaw and every other aspect of the design has to mitigate that. It amplifies the bearing noise for a start which is picked up by the stylus. But that said it's a fun deck to listen to. Perhaps the Solid Platter design is more analytical.
    "It's ok your comments are noted, so if you want a war you've got one. Watch your back, ya !!!!...." in an email from Marco 3/4/09

Hmmmmm or an Lp 12 a pink one .... lol
    Tangerine Audio Stiletto, Plateau, Skorpion, SME V ( D ), Dynavector DRT XV 1S, Chord Signature Tuned Aray, Linn Cirkus, Linn Radikal Klimax, Tranquility
    https://www.linnarts.se

I'm an artist, I'll paint it any shade of pink!

Blog Entries

to be honest, I'm about at the stage of sticking it on ebay now. I've tried several times to speak to someone at Roksan but I'm still waiting for someone to get back to me. it's pretty frustrating to be honest. Especially given the contrast with the customer service I've always received from Michell in the past.

But I'm not going to buy a new Xerxes psu before I find out how much I'm going to have to spend on the bearing as well. At this rate I may be better looking at a DC motor a-la Origin Live as a retrofit. Anyone got any handy reference charts to work out the speed ratios?
    "It's ok your comments are noted, so if you want a war you've got one. Watch your back, ya !!!!...." in an email from Marco 3/4/09

I never sold the Roksan and only ever saw the 'innards' from a relative distance. Much play was made of the pivoting motor and the fact that careful setup was required despite the seemingly simple design. The main bearing though, should be free running and silent. I don't know how the thrust is done - later PT's used a jewelled thrust plate which easily shatters I remember. the Roksan may just need a replacement ball, although if one was needed, the tonearm height situation would be far worse. the Rega RB arms have a tapered tube so they ALWAYS look tail down to some extent, as do SME IV's and V's.

It was an excellent deck at the time, and more neutral if less funky/fruity sounding than it's main Glaswegian competitor. I think it could have been before its time as a modern improved Rega arm, Nima or SME M2 type and a modern cartridge, including one of the new AT's, would bring it right up to date, maybe a better mat too?

Hey ho. Just doodling thoughts...
    Turntable bodger, NVA builder and NVA's loan scheme administrator

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    the Roksan may just need a replacement ball, although if one was needed, the tonearm height situation would be far worse. the Rega RB arms have a tapered tube so they ALWAYS look tail down to some extent, as do SME IV's and V's.
    Interesting point; Just want to expound a bit here. As you're probably well aware, the original Xerxes suffered from a well documented sagging plinth due to the cut close to the armboard. There seems to be a 'fix' for this which is to adjust the bearing housing position with three grub screws, lifting it up a couple of mm to allow the platter to clear the plinth without rubbing. However this requires a 2mm shim on the arm to reset the VTA

The deck had the shim under the armboard so the arm wasn't VTA corrected at all. I'm interested in your theory about the ball, it might be worth picking up a replacement ball bearing (or I suspect a bag of several off ebay!) before I write the whole bearing off at this stage. Don't suppose you'd know the size required?

+ Reply to Thread