+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hypex based class D amps

Default Hypex based class D amps

This was probably asked before.

Does anyone frequenting this forum use class D amps? which kind? are you happy?

I just bit the bullet and ordered a pair of Nord Acoustics monoblocks. These output 400w into 8 ohm and are based on a Hypex module very similar to the one used in NAD M22.

What's special is he has built his own input buffer and offers a choice of op-amps (that can be changed if you like, like tube rolling...)

I figured if I dip my foot in might as well dive all the way and bought his top of the range amps. They also come in a single stereo box but I figured what the hell pay for some bling. Even though really it's another 100 quid for an extra case.

Dying to try them out and from all the buzz I'd actually be disappointed if my Crimson monos are better.

Anyone here using them or similar?

Oh dear I thought you would!

You don't need all that power, I guess it'll never go anywhere near there in normal use.

What you do need are sensitive speakers so just a few Watts will do the trick.

John R.
    Last edited by John R; 27th April 2017 at 19:57.

I had to give 'em a go not due to their power but because they're supposed to sound good. Mind you my Royd Edens (what the Crimson 100W monos drove for most of their use) also do not need more than a 25W amp. But the fact remains that when I compared the 50W stereo power amp to the 100W monos I did hear a very real improvement.

So far the hype around the Nords is not "they're really good for hard-to-drive speakers" but just that they're good and giant killers...

I don't think the power requirements of my current Royd Doublet speakers are significantly higher than the Edens, but the Crimson amps do get warmer when playing for a long while or at high volume.

John here saved me from spending some valuable earth pounds, I owe him a beer - or 5!

Heh heh. One day eh?

John R.

I can taste the testosterone from here. POWER, GRRRRR!

Quote Originally Posted by John R View Post
    Oh dear I thought you would!

You don't need all that power, I guess it'll never go anywhere near there in normal use.

What you do need are sensitive speakers so just a few Watts will do the trick.

John R.
    the problem with trying to use sensitive speakers is that you may not like the sound they produce,at least if you have an amp with power(which you may never ever need)you can look for speakers on sound quality alone rather than worrying if your amp is man enough to drive them

Quote Originally Posted by steve195527 View Post
    the problem with trying to use sensitive speakers is that you may not like the sound they produce,at least if you have an amp with power(which you may never ever need)you can look for speakers on sound quality alone rather than worrying if your amp is man enough to drive them
    My speakers are, I think, 87dB. Not too sensitive but certainly not hard to drive.

I also use the system most of the time on a low or low-ish level. I bought the Nords on the strength of people (several) saying they don't sound like anything and really let the source through.

I have just recently changed my speakers and don't think I will do so in the near future. I think my 100wpc class A/B amp is strong enough to drive most speakers that I personally would use. Lack of power was never my reasoning in buying, nor was saving electricity or lowering the temperature in my living room. I did not buy Class D now because it's a compromise but rather because I am curious to see what it can do. My gut tells me that in 3-4 years all major companies will move in that direction. Some have already started.

Quote Originally Posted by ahabec View Post
    My speakers are, I think, 87dB. Not too sensitive but certainly not hard to drive.

I also use the system most of the time on a low or low-ish level. I bought the Nords on the strength of people (several) saying they don't sound like anything and really let the source through.

I have just recently changed my speakers and don't think I will do so in the near future. I think my 100wpc class A/B amp is strong enough to drive most speakers that I personally would use. Lack of power was never my reasoning in buying, nor was saving electricity or lowering the temperature in my living room. I did not buy Class D now because it's a compromise but rather because I am curious to see what it can do. My gut tells me that in 3-4 years all major companies will move in that direction. Some have already started.
    I wasn't meaning that a high power amp or class d is the way to go,just more or less saying it's horses for courses,don't agree that class d will be the way all major companies will go,unless it's just to save money,there are so called next gen amps being brought out on a semi reg basis,always have been for as long as I can remember and some of the old tech always survives:-because its sounds better as a rule,only thing I remember as being a big improvement when released were the vfet amps made by Yamaha(B-1 and B-2)but they proved too expensive in the long run to keep producing when the mos fets were improving at a far lower cost,till this day I have never heard an amp(power amp) make such an improvement to the sound of any system we tried it in as the B-1,but it was very expensive compared to almost anything else at the time

Looking forward to your listening impressions of the Nord amps, and how they compare with your Crimsons

Quote Originally Posted by jy3 View Post
    Looking forward to your listening impressions of the Nord amps, and how they compare with your Crimsons
    It may take as long as a month from now until I get them but I will definitely post my impress here.

I have been using a pair of DIY Hypex NC400's for 18 months plus now. I have an illustrious alternative in my ARC D70 mkII but I have stuck with my Hypex amp into a pair of 90dB efficient dual concentric Tannoys. There is some commentary here about the power produced by these amplifier modules. If I were to say that the power thing is largely irrelevant you may chortle but the thing to note about these amps is they are truly agnostic of what you connect to them down stream. They will get the best from any speaker connected be that 100dB efficient drivers with flat responses, or hard to drive multiple cone speakers with horrible impedance curves. The only thing I have yet to have any experience of is these into electrostatic speakers. They have vanishingly low distortion figures, low noise and are highly efficient. As close to fit and forget as anything I have experience of. What it does is allows you to shape your system using a pre-amp of your choice. Any flavour of valve, solid state or passive will work with sensible matching. You should have no regrets. In fact I think you may be quite impressed.
    Last edited by Cable Monkey; 1st May 2017 at 11:38.

Thanks cable monkey, this is encouraging news. I am really after better sound rather than an amp to drive difficult speakers. On a side note I think there's less cleverness in manufacturing speakers which are wonderful but are a bitch to drive than in making loudspeakers are that can be driven by many types of amps.

The amps will drive Royd Doublets, 3-driver floor-standers which are not particularly difficult. Interestingly, though, one of the experiments I am curious in doing is in taking the amps (light at 4 kg each) to the house of a friend who has Martin Logan electrostatics. At the time he needed to shop around a lot before settling on a massive 40kg power amp from Bryston. Really ugly and "profesh" looking piece of kit but I suppose it does the job.

+ Reply to Thread