+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mysterious speakers

Default Mysterious speakers

I spotted a pair of JPW speakers being sold by a hospice on ebay, so because I owned the excellent Sonata previously (Yoda on WW bought those), I made a speculative bid and won them for less than 20. There was only one photo of them on the listing, with their black cloth grilles on, so I couldn't tell which model they were. I also couldn't estimate their size so it was a real punt.

They arrived this morning, very poorly packed but they managed to survive the journey intact. I knew straight away from the size of the package handed to me, they were not the larger Sonata (). They appear to be the Mini Monitors but a few aspects about them don't ring true. They were described as being in very good condition but I quickly noticed one of the bass/mid drivers has some repaired damage. Apart from that, they are in very good condition for their age and the sturdy wooden-framed and cloth grilles cleaned up almost like new. There is usually a label on the rear of each speaker detailing the model and some specifications but my pair don't have it.
    mini monitor rear.jpg

Here is my pair: (plonked on top of the Concept 20s)
    mini monitor1.jpgmini monitor2.jpg

From looking at completed items on eBay and using Google, I managed to match their dimensions to that of the Mini Monitor. It appears the Minim is slightly larger overall, more so on the depth, and slightly heavier, as in the Gold Monitor, which size-wise, is almost the same as the Mini Monitor but 190 mm in depth instead of 169 mm.

All three sealed box models appear to have exactly the same specs, just different sized cabinets, and the Gold Monitor has a soft domed tweeter, which the other two do not.

Here's what I think is a 'regular' Mini Monitor: (most ebay listings look like this)
    mini monitor authentic.jpg

The tweeters on my pair are different and after doing a lot of searching, I haven't found another pair the same. The tweeters must have been changed by a previous owner. They seem to work ok. In fact the speakers sound superb.

Then there's the grilles. Most of the photos of the Mini Monitors show the grilles with pegs attached and holes in the front baffle. My speakers have pegs on the front baffle and holes in the grilles. I found an old Richer Sounds ad for these speakers being sold with a matching sub:
    Mini Monitor Flyer.jpg

This shows the speaker with the pegs but the tweeter is different/standard. I know JPW had their cabinets made at two prisons and then the speakers were assembled at the factory in Plymouth. Perhaps for the grilles the design was revised over time. Some photos show the grilles with a plastic frame. I have a couple but they are refusing to upload.
    Last edited by TIU; 30th April 2017 at 14:43.

Mini Monitors with pegs:
    mini monitor 4 with pegs.jpg

Mini Monitor grilles with pegs:
    mini monitor 3.jpg

I'm confused now. Because someone has changed the tweeters, they may have also changed crossover components. They do sound very good, especially with the sub.
    Last edited by TIU; 30th April 2017 at 00:57.

You could always Doc mod those JPW's.

Thanks for replying. I like them as they are, the treble is extremely clear and crisp but not in a fatiguing way. They got me sat down and transfixed this morning, listening to Bjork's debut solo CD. I do find it amazing what fun can be had for less than 20 quid.

I'd 2nd Doc mods.. My JPW P1's and AP2's were transformed. JPW speakers were made for Doc modding.

My P1's weigh in at almost 50lb's each and perform magnificently. I doubt I'll replace them but you never know, I may try the semi omni Cubes one day - we'll see?

So what are the 'Doc mods'?

Rather than try to explain, best you follow the link below.

http://www.hifisubjectivist.org/view...p?f=17&t=47810

There should be plenty of leads to Doc mods from there. Enjoy your journey - I did.

Thanks for the link. I'm afraid I have no experience with a soldering iron and hardly any knowledge of electronics.

Maybe that forum can identity the non-standard tweeters.

I know the Sonata has an Audax TW010 tweeter and Elac 180JM23 bass/mid driver.
    Last edited by TIU; 30th April 2017 at 22:47.

The mystery continues.

The mystery is solved. I took one tweeter out and the original holes are there for the original Audax TW010. Someone has installed Audax TW014H1 tweeters. Hopefully it was a straight swop that didn't require a change to the crossover.

Ignorant bunch 'o cnuts!

Quote Originally Posted by TIU View Post
    Ignorant bunch 'o cnuts!

Well at least you've learned about Doc mods.

+ Reply to Thread