+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Supex SD-900 Super Moving Coil Cartridge

Default Supex SD-900 Super Moving Coil Cartridge

any one have any thoughts on this cartridge please,i thinking of replacing my 2m black.

Blog Entries

is that a old s/h cartridge??
    www.audioorigami.co.uk

And visit my face book page--- check out Audio Origami

http://www.facebook.com/AudioOrigamiTonearms

yes it is.

Blog Entries

forget old carts matey

get your self a new one

what sort of price u want to spend?
    www.audioorigami.co.uk

And visit my face book page--- check out Audio Origami

http://www.facebook.com/AudioOrigamiTonearms

its already bought im afraid to say.

You have to go some to better the 2M Black.

the sd 900 was a superb cartridge,always regretted partexing towards an Asak,whether the one you're looking at is worth buying depends on the condition and how much it would cost having it refurbed by expert or van den hul,I personally prefer the supex to any ortofon cart I have heard,including the 2m black,only thing that let it down in any way was the fact it wasn't the best tracker,but then again neither were or are koetsus

well i bought it for what i thought was a reasonable price,it is going to need a retip soon,but after speaking to dom at north west analogue it would seem worth the expense.
    it was bought to go on my 774 but after rewiring it in silver wire and still not preferring it to my alphason hr ive so;d the 774.
    i dont mind paying to have the work done but before i do i just wanted some info on if would better the 2m black.

dom is a massive fan of supex's,he does a great job of rebuilding them, I hear he has gone quite expensive of late though compared to other rebuild services,it sounds far better than the 2m to my ears

Quote Originally Posted by karma67 View Post
    i just wanted some info on if would better the 2m black.
    With your tt, arm, phono stage, amp, speakers, room, etc, how would we know? Plus some folk love what mm does and some prefer mc. Nothing wrong with trying it out; it could have a better presentation or a different presentation; one you prefer.

if you fancy being a bit daring,this low output mm is for sale,if it sounds anything like its pickering brother(xlz-7500s)then it will sound fantastic and match you low mass arms well,and track whatever you throw at it at about 1g(add a gram if you keep the brush

http://www.audioscope.net/stanton-98...on-p-2544.html

Depends if Perry Como is your thing (puffs on pipe).

Quote Originally Posted by TIU View Post
    Depends if Perry Como is your thing (puffs on pipe).
    ???

I have a good one as well as a now broken one which tracked like a pig... It's a classic 'added halo' type with a charming wide and deep imaged musical quality, but if fidelity to the master is your goal (sadly, I've done a number of direct comparisons over the years), the Supex will not be as close I suspect as the 2M Black is.

Thing is, 'production' vinyl can lose so much in my experience, that many Top End approaches seem to place any one aspect over all the others and turntable/arm/cartridge/phono stage 'systems' that do try to give a balanced view of 'what's there' can tend to sound small and less 'expansive' that other more hyped systems do.

I do like a good working clean SD900 Super, although when we used an adapted Grace 707 to house it in those dark pre-Ittok days, I don't think we were hearing what it could really do. Mine found a very good home in a lightly tweaked Technics SL1500 using an ADC headshell, the whole being highly pleasurable to listen to records through as it helped the listener to suspend disbelief very well.
    Turntable bodger, NVA builder and NVA's loan scheme administrator

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    I have a good one as well as a now broken one which tracked like a pig... It's a classic 'added halo' type with a charming wide and deep imaged musical quality, but if fidelity to the master is your goal (sadly, I've done a number of direct comparisons over the years), the Supex will not be as close I suspect as the 2M Black is.

Thing is, 'production' vinyl can lose so much in my experience, that many Top End approaches seem to place any one aspect over all the others and turntable/arm/cartridge/phono stage 'systems' that do try to give a balanced view of 'what's there' can tend to sound small and less 'expansive' that other more hyped systems do.

I do like a good working clean SD900 Super, although when we used an adapted Grace 707 to house it in those dark pre-Ittok days, I don't think we were hearing what it could really do. Mine found a very good home in a lightly tweaked Technics SL1500 using an ADC headshell, the whole being highly pleasurable to listen to records through as it helped the listener to suspend disbelief very well.
    the grace even with the extra counterweight provided by linn wasn't heavy enough for the supex,you have master tapes of albums to compare vinyl playback to?where did you manage to get those?even tractor music,a very small loclal rcording studio wouldn't ever release them,apart from copies to the folk who had paid for the studio time,they said it infringed on copyright or something

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post

i should have pointed out dave,the supex if i go any further with it will be retipped by nothwest anologue

i should have pointed out dave,the supex if i go any further with it will be retipped by nothwest anologue
    has Dom talked you round to one of the fancy cantilever upgrades he does?(ruby etc) he had a couple of supex's of his own on kind of demo last time I was there with fancy cantilevers, he swore by them

ha ha yes i have chatted to him,he advised that with a retip using a Fritz Gyge diamond it would be miles better than the 2m black,i just wanting some feedback before spending big bucks

ha ha yes i have chatted to him,he advised that with a retip using a Fritz Gyge diamond it would be miles better than the 2m black,i just wanting some feedback before spending big bucks
    how much does he charge for rebuild+cantilever and stylus nowadays?was told he had gone quite expensive of late but not been for ages so it all depends on what the cost is compared to,may still be cheaper than other rebuild services

i think its around 400 for a retip

+ Reply to Thread