+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Supex SD-900 Super Moving Coil Cartridge

I'm fairly sure my last one was under £300. Although it was a couple of years ago though.
    20 years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please God, don't take Kevin Bacon

Quote Originally Posted by karma67 View Post
    i should have pointed out dave,the supex if i go any further with it will be retipped by nothwest anologue

I'd use a professional such as ESCo or possibly Goldring, who did a good job on a troika or three in the past...

Getting a few master copies here and there was a doddle if you worked in a stereo shop in the west end and had people from nearby studios or broadcasting establishments visiting regularly. A very long time ago and I'll say no more.. The store I first worked in had good masters from Angus McKenzie as well as others from EMI such as DSOTM (Dolby A), Mandingo Sacrifice and side one of Mandingo III and a senior at Virgin Records ran us off a Dolby A copy of Tubular Bells as well as side one of Ommadawn. When the West End store opened, most of these tapes went down there and promptly disappeared Tubular Bells sounded fab on Tannoys (maybe it was mixed on them, I don't know) and the Mandingo tracks sound identical played loud from the CD's, where the vinyl softens them a little.

My opinions of vinyl have varied over the years and I now sit between two stools. here and other enthusiast forums, I'd be regarded as a twonk for finding many Top End turntable systems too OTT, where a good properly set up Decca Gold upwards in an arm and turntable suited to it and used with a phono stage with huge headroom is possibly closer to the 'source tape' than many, dry balance and all, where in the HDD (AVI based) forum, I'm regarded as a twonk because I have any regard for vinyl at all, especially as I love tinkering with geriatric Dual 1019's and Garrard Lab 80's (and a host in between). One chap on VE is using a Denon 301 in his 1019 and we chatted about using an SD900E in one as well - I'm not that brave although the arm is pretty rigid, has low friction and the auto mechanism is supremely gentle if the cueing device is used before engaging auto-start - but I digress as usual
    Last edited by DSJR; 19th May 2017 at 18:51.
    Turntable bodger, NVA builder and NVA's loan scheme administrator

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    ( Tubular Bells sounded fab on Tannoys (maybe it was mixed on them, I don't know)
    I far as i am am aware it was. Someone was selling a pair of Tannoy concentrics allegedly used in Mike Oldfields recording studio on ebay a few years ago.
    Of what value is an idol carved by a craftsman? Or an image that teaches lies? For the one who makes it trusts in his own creation; he makes idols that cannot speak. (Habakkuk 2:18)

From that time on Jesus began to preach, “Repent, for the kingdom of heaven has come near.” (Matthew 4:17)

Many recordings made at 'The Manor' until a refit in 76 or so (I believe), sounded too safe and dull to me (the Virgin Gong albums and Steve Hillage's Fish Rising could sound muddy and thick until the recent remasterings freshened them up a bit imo). Maybe they used shrieky early 70's JBL's, I don't know. My Sennheiser HD25SP's have a peak at 5k or so, and this livens these recordings up no end for me

I'd use a professional such as ESCo or possibly Goldring, who did a good job on a troika or three in the past...

Getting a few master copies here and there was a doddle if you worked in a stereo shop in the west end and had people from nearby studios or broadcasting establishments visiting regularly. A very long time ago and I'll say no more.. The store I first worked in had good masters from Angus McKenzie as well as others from EMI such as DSOTM (Dolby A), Mandingo Sacrifice and side one of Mandingo III and a senior at Virgin Records ran us off a Dolby A copy of Tubular Bells as well as side one of Ommadawn. When the West End store opened, most of these tapes went down there and promptly disappeared Tubular Bells sounded fab on Tannoys (maybe it was mixed on them, I don't know) and the Mandingo tracks sound identical played loud from the CD's, where the vinyl softens them a little.

My opinions of vinyl have varied over the years and I now sit between two stools. here and other enthusiast forums, I'd be regarded as a twonk for finding many Top End turntable systems too OTT, where a good properly set up Decca Gold upwards in an arm and turntable suited to it and used with a phono stage with huge headroom is possibly closer to the 'source tape' than many, dry balance and all, where in the HDD (AVI based) forum, I'm regarded as a twonk because I have any regard for vinyl at all, especially as I love tinkering with geriatric Dual 1019's and Garrard Lab 80's (and a host in between). One chap on VE is using a Denon 301 in his 1019 and we chatted about using an SD900E in one as well - I'm not that brave although the arm is pretty rigid, has low friction and the auto mechanism is supremely gentle if the cueing device is used before engaging auto-start - but I digress as usual
    the denon 301 and 304 are/were very compliant for MC cartridges and suited low mass arms,in fact the compliance of the 304 was high even compared to a lot of mm carts,the problem with relating it to other cartridges was the way in which denon measured or gave the spec,it was done differently to most other manufacturers and caused folk to think they were far lower in compliance than they were,still got 2 x304's in a draw,(reserves lol,well that's what I tell my wife) they were one of the best cartridge bargains ever,I doubt the supex would work anywhere near its best in 1019 as the arm is on the light side,dual used to class it as low mass

I appreciate that, but have you seen the 1019 arm?

I deeply respect the DL304, but only ever listened at length to one in an RB300 in which it was on its limit but still sounded great. Would be interesting in an 'Improved' SME with added headshell goop, which did seem to moderate the tizzy quality I remember, although Johnnie's foam fill would be at least as effective on top of this I reckon.

Hope you chaos don't mind me mentioning it, but a real surprise to me in recent times was the Ortofon MC30 Super. In a 'period' LP12/Ittok, the bass was lumpy and hf ott and 'detached' from the fine mids. In my Dual 701, a highly unlikely partner, it retains the lovely midrange, the bass is in perfect proportion and the hf sparkles delightfully but never in a rough way. I had the 'wrong' Supex in the Dual and this one mistracked badly. The 'good' one in a Technics SL1500 with 'serviced' tonearm/cables sounded truly excellent, but I'm repeating myself here I think.

I appreciate that, but have you seen the 1019 arm?

I deeply respect the DL304, but only ever listened at length to one in an RB300 in which it was on its limit but still sounded great. Would be interesting in an 'Improved' SME with added headshell goop, which did seem to moderate the tizzy quality I remember, although Johnnie's foam fill would be at least as effective on top of this I reckon.

Hope you chaos don't mind me mentioning it, but a real surprise to me in recent times was the Ortofon MC30 Super. In a 'period' LP12/Ittok, the bass was lumpy and hf ott and 'detached' from the fine mids. In my Dual 701, a highly unlikely partner, it retains the lovely midrange, the bass is in perfect proportion and the hf sparkles delightfully but never in a rough way. I had the 'wrong' Supex in the Dual and this one mistracked badly. The 'good' one in a Technics SL1500 with 'serviced' tonearm/cables sounded truly excellent, but I'm repeating myself here I think.
    used to work part time at local dealer who was dual main agent we used to get them in from owners now and again for service or new cartridge fitting,joe,the sop owner loved duals,when the 701 came out he thought it was about best tt you could buy for most users to use in the home,simple to use very good sound and virtually idiot proof,he didn't like to sell things that would cause customers issues from either sound quality or usability point of view,he also stocked at various times ariston rd11,linn lp12,transcriptors(and later michell stuff),oracle:-he had the very first Delphi on display and for sale of any uk dealer,before any mag reviews:-nobody knew what it was when they saw it,most thought it may be a new transcriptors/michell model,once he stocked the oracle we couldn't seem to be able to get any lp12's to sell,sir ivor didn't seem to like the fact that the oracle was seen by many as the better tt after the mags reviewed and compared the two,and didn't seem to like folk comparing them at dealers,or maybe joe could have told him to get lost when he made some demand or other about not stocking the oracle if we wanted to sell the lp12,which by then was the darling of the flat earthers,I never did find out the reason

An old moving coil may be able to be retipped by Expert Stylus for about £280 - if the suspension is damaged or there is not enough cantilever to graft on a new one it may be irrepairable. As such I would avoid second hand moving coils unless you can try before you buy. As to the old Supex - I used to sell these and the first Koetsu's (Red and Black). They are nice enough but they never grabbed me by the balls. I may be a philistine cos I always preferred the Denon 103D over them .. If you want a moving coil for beer money buy a Denon 103 for about £170 and when it needs retipping get Expert Stylus to fit a paratrace or a fine line .. and just enjoy OR if you can get your hands on a Decent Decca it costs about £300 tops to have them rebuilt with a fine line stylus every time you need a stylus change which makes them a sonic bargain. Any of the range can be uplifted to Super Gold spec by fitting a fine line stylus .. I am biased though having used them since 1979
    A good earwash may be the cheapest and best upgrade to your system.

Quote Originally Posted by uzzy View Post
    An old moving coil may be able to be retipped by Expert Stylus for about £280 - if the suspension is damaged or there is not enough cantilever to graft on a new one it may be irrepairable. As such I would avoid second hand moving coils unless you can try before you buy. As to the old Supex - I used to sell these and the first Koetsu's (Red and Black). They are nice enough but they never grabbed me by the balls. I may be a philistine cos I always preferred the Denon 103D over them .. If you want a moving coil for beer money buy a Denon 103 for about £170 and when it needs retipping get Expert Stylus to fit a paratrace or a fine line .. and just enjoy OR if you can get your hands on a Decent Decca it costs about £300 tops to have them rebuilt with a fine line stylus every time you need a stylus change which makes them a sonic bargain. Any of the range can be uplifted to Super Gold spec by fitting a fine line stylus .. I am biased though having used them since 1979
    I have garrot decca in the draw,minus a stylus,it dropped off!,sounded fantastic but seemed to want to recut albums to suit itself,found a lot of record damage/wear when I changed to other cartridges that actually tracked ok,the denon 103d was a great cart but only available for a short time compared to other flavours of the 103 which sounded nowhere near as good

Smile

I have used Deccas for 38 years now - no more record wear than any other cartridge - was surprised that my copy of Foxtrot was equally as quiet as the new remastered 180 gram copy my daughter bought me for my birthday. The Decca is more revealing of surface damage and dust but that it could be argued is because it is retrieving all that is there. As for the 103D that was the 103 with an elliptical stylus - hence me saying get Expert to retip a 103 with a fine line or paratrace and sit back and enjoy what a sonic bargain it is .. a new one costs £175 and retip £280 ish and there is nothing out there that will beat it for the same money ... but of course we all have our own views and it is good we don't all think the same or there would be no choice
    A good earwash may be the cheapest and best upgrade to your system.

the 103d didn't just have an elliptical stylus,it was far higher compliance than other 103's and suited lighter arms and weren't there differences with the coils?,so sticking even esc's paratrace stylus on other 103's won't make a 103d,although Windham did tell me they could replace the suspension on most cartridges if shot and rewind mc carts,but think he has handed reins over to his son now,I know they did sell completely reworked 103's with one of their fancy profiles and a ruby cantilver,not sure if they still do though

+ Reply to Thread