+ Reply to Thread

Thread: quality of Technics arms

Blog Entries

Default quality of Technics arms

I notice that someone is selling a Technics arm (1200) and says it has been re-wired by A.O. What do you think of the arm, John?

I have managed to buy most of the bits to build one (a manual one, not auto), as I wish to do some experiments on head shell material. And as the arm has easily changed head shells (the only arm which I have that does!) and easily changed and repeatable VTA, I hope it is reasonable. I have noticed some people use an AT440 or 150's. so it can't be so bad.
    cheers.....Bryan

http://qualia.webs.com/

Are you still working on the parallel tracker Bryan?

Blog Entries

yea there good value for money arms...
    www.audioorigami.co.uk

And visit my face book page--- check out Audio Origami

http://www.facebook.com/AudioOrigamiTonearms

Blog Entries

thanks for thoughts, John.

TIU...I'll be getting back to it soon, other things needed doing first. In Mkii guise, it will have a duopivot, rather than knife edge bearings. Have just got together a few bits for a stepper motor driver and (temporary) clock/oscillator that I am using for something totally unrelated to audio. Pics to follow...
    cheers.....Bryan

http://qualia.webs.com/

Hi again all,

I had a couple of SL1500 mk1 arms in recent years and rated them highly if that helps, but with provisos.. Both had sloppy bearings which needed careful adjustment. It was possible to 'just' remove slop without the bearings stiffening up for which I was thankful. The once good? exit cables were shite by now and one of them had conductor breakages. I just did the usual van Damme Pro-Patch slim mic cable 'thing' and I thought the sound bucked up brilliantly.

On the deck, the cartridge choice was wide although the arm lacks height adjustment, but I had spectacular results with an old Supex 900E, which tracked surprisingly well at 1.8g in an ADC headshell, used with little rubber washer which many peeps remove for some reason lost in history. The bias spring was wildly inaccurate on these below 1.5g, but well judged above I found. The stock headshell isn't that wonderful sonically, but a replacement shell of whatever persuasion worked fine with a 3mm cork mat on top of the rubber stock mat. I know wgere the first deck is and I'm seriously thinking of getting it back as it's not in use by its exclusively 'streaming digital' current owner.

Hope the guff above helps in some way..
    Last edited by DSJR; 11th May 2017 at 20:44.
    Turntable bodger, NVA builder and NVA's loan scheme administrator

+ Reply to Thread