+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Advice , Ethernet cable and mic leads?? Just asking

Default Advice , Ethernet cable and mic leads?? Just asking

So I hope you don't mind but I have been looking in making up a a basic 4 channel extension lead, often called a stage box, or a snake, but I have seen many products using Ethernet cable as a connector to do this, so I am after any advice you might be able to offer, like any special connecting tools, or ideas about fitting trailing leads , the best ways etc, I believe I have it correct that a cat 5 cable, using a twisted construction is the way to go , but hears the thing , I believe there is 8wires and a common ground, so can I use this to make up properly functioning cable that will also carry Safely the power neede for phantom power etc and not give me noises, I see that the chillie peppers sound guy is make commercial units but the box is nearly , 100 , I am just looking for sockets on separate leads connecting via the standard r45 , if this isn't possible I

I would just like to make up a 3 input lead each end Xlr if this is easier to action ,any links to how to and tools and suitable sockets etc , happy to take any advice, I can solder not too badly if I take my time etc , regards jazzbass,

It looks like a very cost effective way , I can I understand get a 20 metere cable for about a tenner , to start with ,

Jb

Never been happy using ethernet for audio, have all kinds of impedance issues when I've tried.

Blog Entries

The Cat 5 cables aren't good enough for analogue audio Ritchie. the Cat 5e is shielded but again it's not good enough for audio signals.
    The reason that people are using them is because much of the gear is digital. we have a Behringer X32 digital desk at the school. and an S16 stage box. it's a Cat 5 cable that goes between the two and handles 16 channels up and 8 channels down the cable in the digital domain. There's several standards but they're all digital. If you want to go analogue you're looking at multicore stage snakes. cpc do cheapish ones made by 'Pulse' They're ok but nothing amazingly rugged.
    "It's ok your comments are noted, so if you want a war you've got one. Watch your back, ya !!!!...." in an email from Marco 3/4/09

+ Reply to Thread